Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone out there can help me :). I have a dog that was supposed to be an American Bull Dog, but have always believed she was a mixed breed. I bought her out of the back of a pickup in Florida (she was absolutely beautiful and I was worried about her - it was only about 50 degrees out and the lady didn't even have a blanket for the pups). Since then I have had everyone from neighbors to our vet guessing at her parentage.

Some have said she looked like she might have some Pit in her. No biggie to me, she's been raised with babies and has a great temperment. Now though, we've moved and are having difficulty finding a place to rent. No one wants even a possible Pit for insurance reasons. So here's my question, is there truly any way to be able to confirm or deny it? I looked at several of the photos on this site and some of the dogs look a little like her, but it's really hard to tell. It's just as easy for me to see several other breeds in her as well. She is 21 months old and weighs 45 lbs. Any input greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
He is not a full blooded AB but what he is I dunno. I would tell them (landlords) unless you listed him as another breed on his vet papers, that he is a lab mix....LOL, lab is just as likely as any other breed :lol:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Just to comment from personal experience...I have a pitbull and a boxer, and we moved ourselves this past weekend. It took us almost 2 months of looking before getting approved because of our pitbull. We ended up telling the guy who finally approved us that he was an AmStaff. 9 times out of 10 they go "a what?"...so unless they're well educated in their breeds, which they're typically not, they won't have a clue what an AmStaff is, and it's not too far from the truth considering they resemble each other in a lot of ways. I would go with a lab mix if I were you... :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all - thought I'd give an update - met with the potential landlord today who took one look at her and decided she was part pit. Told me he'd have to 'think about it'. Wouldn't listen to a word I had to say about all the NOT pit breeds that I found that she looked much more like. Oh well, not sure I'd want someone like him as a landlord anyway now :(. Thanks again for you input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! Maybe if I can collect enough about that breed - standards, photos, etc. - someone will actually believe me! Not that I mind if she IS part pit, we had a mixed pit a few years ago that we adored, but the discrimination against the breed is getting to me!

·
Registered
203 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
Just to comment from personal experience...I have a pitbull and a boxer, and we moved ourselves this past weekend. It took us almost 2 months of looking before getting approved because of our pitbull. We ended up telling the guy who finally approved us that he was an AmStaff. 9 times out of 10 they go "a what?"...so unless they're well educated in their breeds, which they're typically not, they won't have a clue what an AmStaff is, and it's not too far from the truth considering they resemble each other in a lot of ways. I would go with a lab mix if I were you... :D
i do the same thing, sometimes i feel a little guilty...

aricagreer23 said:
Thank you! Maybe if I can collect enough about that breed - standards, photos, etc. - someone will actually believe me! Not that I mind if she IS part pit, we had a mixed pit a few years ago that we adored, but the discrimination against the breed is getting to me!
yeah its a tough up hill battle that most bully breed owners have to face...in your case i think its more of dog's making that through ppl off. They see that brindle or anything that resembles it, they just assume its a pit or part pit

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have the same problem with ppl walking in the street with her.
they literaly either cross to the other side or walks behind parked cars to make sure they don't come close to my lil one.

one funny thing, took her out for morning poop this morning and this lady was juggin, i guess she didn't see me or the dog but when she was about 2 feet away from her, she literaly jumped back and cross the street.. I mean sure her pooped smelled bad but that was no excuse :lol:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
call her a "smiling plott hound" , print yourself some "papers" on your computer and tell your landlord to leave you alone.
she looks like she is an ab/hound cross to me but the only way to know what she is , or prove what she is, is to know what her parents were.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, she diffantely has hound in her and of course some kind of bull breed with the wide head, but I wouldn't say Pit. I would agree with AB/Hound mix also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.