Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roxy's glands are full again and I have read that more fibre in her diet can help prevent them from filling up so quick.

Any suggestion on what I can add to her diet, any snacks I can cook for her ?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Heidi had that problem last week so I took her to the vet to have it handled. It was pretty stinky!!! I was told that firmer poops help to clear the glands. Heidi's poops have been kind of soft. I'm not an expert but it seems that fiber may not be the best thing. Wouldn't that soften the stool?

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
Heidi had that problem last week so I took her to the vet to have it handled. It was pretty stinky!!! I was told that firmer poops help to clear the glands. Heidi's poops have been kind of soft. I'm not an expert but it seems that fiber may not be the best thing. Wouldn't that soften the stool?
I thought I read fibre, will do a search again, her stool have been quite loose lately. hmm hope it was fibre, I've just order a giant sack of potatoe n pork kibble as it has hi fibre lol....did your vet say what to do to get firmer poops.

I might take her to the groomers and get her washed too.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Roxy said:
Chico.Heidi said:
I thought I read fibre, will do a search again, her stool have been quite loose lately. hmm hope it was fibre, I've just order a giant sack of potatoe n pork kibble as it has hi fibre lol....did your vet say what to do to get firmer poops.

I might take her to the groomers and get her washed too.
Ok, I stand corrected! :lol: I guess the idea of adding fiber/fibre would be to produce a larger or bulkier stool that would push the stuff out of the anal sacks. But I think the key is that the bulky stool needs to be firm enough to push the stuff out. When the stool is too small or soft, there isn't enough force pushing on the sacs. This article said you could add some bran to their food. I haven't had any problems with this before with Heidi but my cocker spaniel had such bad problems that he had to have the glands removed. I was pretty young at the time so I don't really remember the details. I just remember that he was constantly scooting around on the floor.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=510

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.