Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, well I just got this dog he is a 3 month old pit bull. now when should I go walk him and how many times.
he does it always in the house and its really making me and my family mad. So is there a way to know when he want to go for a walk?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
at that age you shouln't walk too long maybe 10 min at a time and as for going in the house you should invest in a crate. it's the easiest way to potty training!

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
mina316 said:
Hello, well I just got this dog he is a 3 month old pit bull. now when should I go walk him and how many times.
he does it always in the house and its really making me and my family mad. So is there a way to know when he want to go for a walk?
#-o

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
A puppy is going to have accidents, that's just a fact of life. I don't think they're physically able to hold it for long until (at a MINIMUM) 6 months. As far as housebreaking him, it will just be a matter of consistency....take him out within 15 minutes of him eating or drinking....watch for him to start sniffing the floor ( a good indication he's going to "go") and take him out. Give lots of praise and reward when he DOES go outside. If you can't be watching him while in the house, then he needs to be in a crate...that will help minimize how much mess you have to clean up, as well as helping to housebreak him (they don't like to pee/poo in their 'sleeping area').

Having a puppy takes A LOTof patience and A LOT of work. Consistency is key! Good luck!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a 23 week old pit bull and he just got out of the pee in the appartment stage. It just takes a while and patience. Do not start punishing the pup for doing his bussiness in the house until he is about 4 months, if you do to early he will think " oh this gets me in trouble, dont do it around people", and wont go in front of you, and will run off to do it inside (what i was told by my trainer and vet). Also when you punish him for going inside it doesnt hurt him if you bring him to the area, cause he probably ran off when you cought him, show him the area making sure he knows what he he did wrong, and give him a pop on the hiny, not to hard because these dogs are very sensitive, or at least my pup is. Also make sure to praise him with affection or treats when he goes outside. It is a good idea to take the pup out if you know its been a good while since he last went.

Baxter was really bad for a while and after i established that outside was good, i started establishing that inside is bad and he doesnt go inside at all now, i think its been at least 2 weeks since he has. Before that though he would walk right up to me and do it while i was sitting on the couch or doin somthin else, it was so frustrating. Also another good signs that they have to go are getting restless, baxter would get on the couch with me, then get off then get on then get off and pee on the floor and hop back up and lay down somtimes.

(this all is what i did, dont hassle me if it isnt what you did!)

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
You will have to learn your dog's cues. I wish my dogs would whine or something when they have to pee, but not all dogs tell you in an obvious way. My dogs just get very antsy and walk around the room quickly. My female will come up to me and put her paws in my lap. Once you learn how your dog is trying to tell you, it should become more easy. You just have to pay close attention!

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
mina316 said:
:roll: patience is what you and your family need. Dogs don't come pre-packaged and trained.

If you own a 3 month old pit and peeing in the house makes you mad I encourage you two to get some training and quick. This is the least of your worries IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts