Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I'm nearing a crossroads... Would appreciate any advice...

We got Brandy at about 6 months old. It was apparent right away that her previous owner had used the crate as a punishment, and beaten her as well. She's always been terrified of the crate... I'm talking digging in/backpedaling/whimpering whenever we so much as tried to get her near it.

Needless to say, crate training never went as well as we wanted it too. Eventually we gave up, and just gave her the run of one room.

Over time, she occasionally decides to destroy something in the room where she resides... Call it boredom or whatever, but randomly, she'll just pick an object and chew it to shreds...

Counting the mess I came home to today, we've just went over the $2000 dollar point in damaged goods.

I don't know what to do. Should I force the crate training?? If so, how would you recommend I do this to a dog this scared of it?

The other option I was considering was a soft nylon muzzle. I figure this could let her still live in the room, which she really seems to enjoy (it's funny, the room has almost become her crate, in terms of how she uses it for protection and comfort and such...), but then she couldn't destroy anything.

Any other ideas? Will the muzzle work? Is it my best option?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I don't have any good suggestions for you, but you should absolutely not leave a muzzle on a dog for any longer than 20-30 minutes at a time. She needs to be able to drink water and pant when she's hot; muzzles restrict that. I might be alone in this, but I would consider muzzling a dog while you're not home to be a form of abuse.

What kind of toys/mental stimulation do you leave with her while you're away? Do you exercise her thoroughly before you leave the house?

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
try feeding time in the crate make it a happy place to go place toys treets and so on in there time to time work with her youll get it ! :wink: but crate is the way to go till she grows out of chewing things and destroying stuff !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bremner53 said:
http://www.thedoginn.com/acatalog/Fold_Flat_Puppy_Pens.html

Like this!!
Not so good without a proper bottom to it. Jared_irl stated that Brandty attempts to dig out of the indoor crate, she'll do the same with this particular pen and will most likely be successful; moreover, you really shouldn't leave a dog alone--unattended--outside for extended periods.

IMHO, it sounds as though Brandy needs a lot of exercise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Definetly do NOT muzzle her..thats a major nooo...If she had to throw up or was sick among other things she wouldnt make it..not to mention water and breathing its not for that..
What kind of room are you locking her into? Are you leaving her with hard bones to chew on like Nylabones and maybe a Kong with food in it to keep her busy...I wouldnt leave her in a living room or dining room..pick a area that has the least amount of things she can destroy..We use our kitchen for the most part ...it seems to work the best and we also have a back porch that comes in as useful..in the summer I put AC out there for the dogs..
Thats very sad that she was abused like that...its going to take a lot of love and long time to get her to trusting and behaving it sounds...also like she might have a boredom issue along with seperation anxiety...
Try putting her in a smaller area with less stuff to destroy and put toys in like kongs and the hard nylabones...nothing that she can choke on
hope it works out

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Bogie said:
Bremner53 said:

Like this!!
Not so good without a proper bottom to it. Jared_irl stated that Brandty attempts to dig out of the indoor crate, she'll do the same with this particular pen and will most likely be successful; moreover, you really shouldn't leave a dog alone--unattended--outside for extended periods.

I wasn't thinking for outside. I was thinking something like that in a spare room or something. I don't know what I would about the digging though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Like everyone esle said, you cannot muzzle her while you are gone. I would try to re-enforce the crate. But really try and do everything to make it her place. Don't let her eat unless it in her crate. Even if she doesn't want to go in, eventually she'll get hungry enough to enter to eat. Start slow, don't close the door the first few times she goes in. Keep all her toys in there for now (but not while you're away, some could be dangerous) and a nice bed or blanket. It sounds funny but maybe wrap yourself up in her blanket to get your sent on it. Once you get her to trust you she should start to loosen up.

In the mean time while she's getting used to the crate, if you have to leave her in the room, doggie proof it. Just like you would for kids. Take away anything that you can move. Also make sure to keep something in there to keep her busy. Kongs are great. You can take the kong and fill it with yogurt or peanut butter (make sure they are all natural), then put in some treats or kibble, after you've stuffed it put it in the freezer overnight. That will keep her busy for a while. I would do this once she's in the crate as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bremner53 said:
Bogie said:
Bremner53 said:

Like this!!

I wasn't thinking for outside. I was thinking something like that in a spare room or something. I don't know what I would about the digging though.
And shlep me wasn't thinking inside, my bad. That pen could be good indoors, but would need a cover of some sorts: If a dog can't dig itself out, she will attempt to climb out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts