Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Well my little bundle of joy, is quickly turning into my bundle of terror :)

He is 10.5 weeks now, and is in destruction mode. But i can handle this!

Some questions..

First thing!
Is it normal for a young male pup to try and hump? He keeps humping my girlfriend etc, and never listens to her. She trys to be stern with him, but he just ignores her most of the time, even though she is his favourite. If i give him into trouble, he sulks and normally goes to her.. She has tried being firm and assertive, and holding him by the scruff and giving him a good shake if he is being bad, but he just tries to bite her and keeps on doing what he was doing.

Second thing!
He wont stop eating cat poop, i have tried disciplining him, but im affraid im doing it too much or something. When i give him in trouble, i say "Loki NO" and give him a shake (only for bad stuff, cat poop, biting the face etc") and he sometimes squeels and runs off. I normally go to him about 30 seconds later and pat him to let him know he was out of line, but im still his friend. But half the time when i do this, he just runs off and finds something else naughty to do... How do you discipline your dogs? I dont want him to be affraid of me, but he has to know im the boss. The other day he drew blood biting me on the neck, so i grabbed him and gave him a shake and yelled, and he just growled and tried to bite me even harder... Can anyone offer advice? Im feeling very stressed out right now. Our puppy school classes dont start for another month!......

Third... Should he be getting the hicups? He gets them all the time, oh and farting, he farts so bad, and all the time. He will be laying with me when im watching TV or something, and he will constantly fart, and they are bloody bad ones too!!! Room cleaing chemical warfare :)

Thanks alot, any advice would be great and most appreciated!!

Steve

·
Banned
99 Posts
Hey there Aussie Wold & Congratulations on the new puppy...

Well basically at the moment you are confusing your pup abit with the one minte scolding him then a minute later trying to play with him.... I would also advise you to not grab him by the scruff of the neck as just a stern voice should do the job....

I would try a couple of things to stop the humping & eating cat poop... Get a water pistol & give him a spray every time he does this accompinied with a firm no... try this for both problems also just try & calm down be firm... Give him lots of eye contact & really say it like you mean it with no stroking for alot longer than thirty seconds after telling him off, The reason he goes to your girlfriend is he sees her as below him in the family pack & mounting is a sign of dominance & i would have her just pull him down every time he does this & let her give him the eye contact followed by the firm "no"

Heres a couple of links that might help too

Good Luck & do keep us posted

http://www.leerburg.com/groundwork.htm

http://www.leerburg.com/dominac2.htm

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/taming.html

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had the same problem with the cat poo... the only fix for that one is to keep the litter pan scooped out, I check it through out the day and scoop when I see something, that is the only thing that has made Titus quit, cause there are no treats in there for him anymore so now he ignores it. Also with the biting try subbing a chew toy for your body parts, if that does not work try the firm NO and then walk away from him and give him no attention...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Aussie Wolf said:
First thing!
Is it normal for a young male pup to try and hump? He keeps humping my girlfriend etc, and never listens to her. She trys to be stern with him, but he just ignores her most of the time, even though she is his favourite. If i give him into trouble, he sulks and normally goes to her.. She has tried being firm and assertive, and holding him by the scruff and giving him a good shake if he is being bad, but he just tries to bite her and keeps on doing what he was doing.
Humping is usually a sign of trying to show dominance, not sure if this is really what it is at such a young age. But a stern consitant no should help. Also the water bottle will help too.
Second thing!
He wont stop eating cat poop, i have tried disciplining him, but im affraid im doing it too much or something. When i give him in trouble, i say "Loki NO" and give him a shake (only for bad stuff, cat poop, biting the face etc") and he sometimes squeels and runs off. I normally go to him about 30 seconds later and pat him to let him know he was out of line, but im still his friend. But half the time when i do this, he just runs off and finds something else naughty to do... How do you discipline your dogs? I dont want him to be affraid of me, but he has to know im the boss. The other day he drew blood biting me on the neck, so i grabbed him and gave him a shake and yelled, and he just growled and tried to bite me even harder... Can anyone offer advice? Im feeling very stressed out right now. Our puppy school classes dont start for another month!......
Again, firm no's and consitantly and also the water bottle. Shaking him is not going to do a thing except make him scared of you. Also, maybe some more exercise or something to get him tired out and not want to bite you or play THAT rough with you. A tired out dog is a happy dog

Third... Should he be getting the hicups? He gets them all the time, oh and farting, he farts so bad, and all the time. He will be laying with me when im watching TV or something, and he will constantly fart, and they are bloody bad ones too!!! Room cleaing chemical warfare :)
Not sure on the hiccup part... I know Kate has gotten them before but only a handful of times. But the farting thing can be greatly related to the food you are feeding him. When I first got Kate she was on purina and farting literally every 5 min. I switched her the very next day and she stopped immediately. Check out the dog food rating thread in the health and exercise section and you will find some great foods and some horrible ones there and you can decide what is best for your dog

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Aussie Wolf said:
First thing!
Our 5 month old Chance humps our AB Maddi all the time. I chalk it up to his being a new addition and wanting to establish his place in the pecking order. We just tell him no and move him away from her. We usually have to do this three or four times until he understands that he's not going to get his way, at which point he barks at you to tell you what he thinks of you and moves on to something more entertaining.

Second thing!
We did two things to remedy this...

We got one of thse covered litter boxes with a charcoal filter (I like it sooo much better...our male cat could wake the dead with the smell he creates) and wedged it into a corner with some furniture in such a way that the dogs can't stick their heads into it, but the cats can get in just fine.

The other thing is just to make sure you clean it out every day, like someone else already said.

Chance gets the hiccups all the time. Allllll the time...it's funny actually. He also has bad gas and he's on a very high quality food (Innova dog). Maddi used to get the hiccups when she was younger, but she hardly does anymore. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know about the humping... (one of the reasons that I got a female pup)

But w/ the cat poo... A covered box will definiatly help. The one thing that I was told by my trainer is clean out the litter box except for one piece and cover that one w/ chili powder! :shock: It should cause him to realize that he does not like it as much as he thinks...

As for the hic-ups, my AB had them exery so often and then they just went away...

For the farting.. change his food!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts