Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tanner will not walk with a leash on. Right now we only have a collar on him and I am wondering if he would do better if we went ahead and got him a harness. He just lays down and will not budge when I try to get him to walk. He will be four months old on August 9th. Any ideas on ways to get him to move? We would really like him to join us on our dog walks but if he won't move, this makes it kind of hard. All of the dogs I have had in the past already walked fine with the leash so this is all new to me. Any help would be great!!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Try getting him a very light weight nylon leash (like for a small dog or cat), clip it to his collar and let him drag it around the house. Once he has mastered moving with the light weight leash, move up to his normal leash and let him drag that around as well. Sooner or later (preferable sooner :lol: ) he shoul dbe ok walking with the leash.

Doesn't hurt to try right?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what we have and we have been doing this. So if this works, hopefully soon it will start working.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Let him drag a leash around and then try to let him do it outside. He will see that it is no big deal. Good luck, Moose had the same problem. I did get Moose a harness first while I was training him with the leash.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We always had a harness for the other dogs we have had but since Tanner is growing so fast, I just bought him a few different sizes of some collars that were cheaper. Since we can't take him anywhere until this week. He will have his last set of shots for awhile (I think). The vet told me not to take him out until after this coming round of shots. So 3 weeks ago when he was there last, I went ahead and had the kennel cough stuff sprayed in his nose to be on the safe side. This time he will get the normal shots and his rabies shot. And he is almost old enough to get fixed. So there is alot of things ahead for him. I would really like to get this mastered soon because I want to be able to take both of them for a walk together. And my daughter is dying to take him to Petsmart to shop with us. He is just too heavy to carry the whole time. He is probally over 30 pounds now. I still hold him the whole time while we are at the vet since I don't want him catching anything while we are there since his shots aren't all done. I get looks when other dogs get close to him and I tell the owners not to let their dogs come closer since all his shots aren't done yet. But I don't care because I don't let my daughter around the sick kids at her doctors either and I treat my puppies the same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts