Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Need suggestions for puppy classes

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bremner53 
#1 ·
I will be teaching puppy class at the clinic I work at and would like your input on what you would want to get out of a puppy class. I don't want it to be so much and obedience class but more of a how to teach your dog and cover important topics such as housebreaking, chewing and the like. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated!!

#2 ·
We did the puppy kindergarten with both of my dogs and I thought it was a great experience. Chico was kinda shy so it helped him to get used to alot of people coming up to him. We had about three recesses during an hour long class. Half of the puppies would sit as the other half would mingle and interact with the other puppies. If your puppy was being too rough or placing a paw on the other puppy, you would have to move on to another puppy. Heidi was about 6mos. at the time but she would sit with me and watch while my husband trained Chico. It was so funny because she would try to run over every chance she had to sniff Chico and make sure he was ok! Talk about overprotective big sister!

#3 ·
In our puppy class, we did alot of socialization as well. We also did clicker training, and getting the dogs to watch you, so they learn you are the most important and fun person out there. We had two breaks in an hour class. Just make it really fun. With the clicker you can teach them alot, I don't use it as much anymore but I think it helped them figure things out quicker. Our class was six weeks, by the end all of the puppies would look when you said Look, sit, down, stay for a little bit, starting to heel, and of course come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.