Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lola walks on leash fine, she just pulls. Pulls to the point she coughs from the collar. What can I do to stop this? I thought about the prong, but will that choke her the same as a chain? I am so confused about what to get. Ive never had a dog do this before!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Rachel Zugg said:
Lola walks on leash fine, she just pulls. Pulls to the point she coughs from the collar. What can I do to stop this? I thought about the prong, but will that choke her the same as a chain? I am so confused about what to get. Ive never had a dog do this before!
She pulls and chokes because the reward - moving forward - is worth the gagging. One way to break this is to stop every time she pulls and then proceed when she looks at you. Another way is to change direction 180degrees. I've used both, I like the latter.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Off topic

Just noticed that your quote belongs to Corrie Tenboom. Read any of her stuff? I've read just a bit but she is certainly a facsinating woman. Just thought I'd share...

Sarah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive never read her stuff. Don't even know who she is! I read the quote as Author Unknown and only recently found out who actually said it! It is my favorite tho!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Stopping every time the pulling starts worked like a charm for me too!!! Also maybe try getting a shorter leash (that sometimes helps).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Commit yourself of one full week of being "hard" or her.

Actually you are not being hard, all you are doing is walking, shes the one being rude and trying to pull you about.

Connect the lead, take the handle in your right hand and place your left hand in the middle of the leash with the dog sitting at the heel of your left foot.

Start from there and walk, dont let her move from the side of your foot as you walk, when she does, a short sharp tug and "HEEL" in a short direct tone (not angry, frutsrated or pleading), you may need to do this a few times in a row at first before she gives you a break. The second she does begin saying "good girl" "good girl" "good girl", being a dog she will translate this into "yippee i can do what i want again" and try wandering off.

Continue with your tug heel tug heel each walk. Over the course of the week she will improve and by the end of the week she should be near perfect on the leash and very well placed to work with heel off leash also.

Your objective is not to dominate her, be angry, make her your slave, you have a simple goal, to go for a walk without being pulled around by an impatient and rude child. Set out with that and use your "heel and tug" to achieve it.

Always praise her when shes doing it and always reward her after walks with a treat and love.

I use this longer method because I use harness training which doesnt hurt the dog and requires more time to get it through. You can use training collars which are probably faster getting it accross. Its just not the way I do it. Id rather take the week with little harness tugs to get them doing as they ought.

Hope it helps.

Be prepared tough and DONT get frustrated by their intial attempts to test and bushwack you. keep you tone always the same, the tug and command sharp and direct and show her she cannot influence this no matter what she tries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
I meant to add that it would take some doing to break her of a habit that she'd learned so well already. Like Knomad said; be prepared to switch directions alot.

To add - I learned to clip the leash to my belt or loop it around my waist at these times because you will inadvertantly 'give' with your hands when she pulls if you're not paying close enough attention. The waist is much more an immovable object.


Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,413 Posts
What they said...

And no, the prong will not choke her like the chain, and will get her attention. I had a foster who would pull against the chain until he vomited - no exaggerating. Prong worked immediately, and with a little practice and very little effort on my part, he became a GREAT dog on leash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
augrad said:
What they said...

And no, the prong will not choke her like the chain, and will get her attention. I had a foster who would pull against the chain until he vomited - no exaggerating. Prong worked immediately, and with a little practice and very little effort on my part, he became a GREAT dog on leash.
Yep. Prong collars cause the dog to self-correct, painlessly. When the prongs tighten, I would say most every dog stops pulling, which loosens the prongs. Choke collars also cause damage to the laranyx and can result in sudden laryngeal paralysis (potentially fatal) with consistent use. If you're worried about the prongs him, you can also purchase little rubber tips that go on the ends of the prongs. They look nasty, but they're far less harmful that an improperly used choke collar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Rachel Zugg said:
I JUST ordered the prong collar for her. I think it will help. Thanks for the advice!
Make sure she has some leash training BEFORE you use the prong collar. And wait until she's at least 6 months old before using it.
Thanks Leeann, the prong is for Lola, the foster mama, and I believe she is about a year and a half. I wasn't sure how old they had to be before using one but I can always hope I won't need one for Lily! :lol:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
Re: Off topic

newpitowner said:
Just noticed that your quote belongs to Corrie Tenboom. Read any of her stuff? I've read just a bit but she is certainly a facsinating woman. Just thought I'd share...

Sarah

I met Corrie Tenboom in the early 70's in Satellite Beach, Florida.
She was speaking at our church as a guest. She was a dear and
very sweet and courageous woman. Someone to look up to and
admire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That quote from her is my favorite and has gotten me thru some of the toughesst times in my life. It must have been wonderful to have met the person who said it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Re: Off topic

gazar said:
newpitowner said:
Just noticed that your quote belongs to Corrie Tenboom. Read any of her stuff? I've read just a bit but she is certainly a facsinating woman. Just thought I'd share...

Sarah

I met Corrie Tenboom in the early 70's in Satellite Beach, Florida.
She was speaking at our church as a guest. She was a dear and
very sweet and courageous woman. Someone to look up to and
admire.
Man are you a lucky woman! (assuming u r a woman anyway :wink: ) What church was it if I might ask? Just curious...

Sarah
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
Roxy was like that,, b4 I went training and what he made me do is stand in the middle of the class, Roxy on training lead. Next he made me walk in different directions. No commands, no eye contact, just randomly walkin around, forward 10 steps, sudden turn left, sudden turn right etc...Roxy was flying allover the place, then when she realised I was not paying any attention, I felt her lead go loose and I looked down at her and she was at my side, from then on she kept an eye on me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Roxy said:
Roxy was like that,, b4 I went training and what he made me do is stand in the middle of the class, Roxy on training lead. Next he made me walk in different directions. No commands, no eye contact, just randomly walkin around, forward 10 steps, sudden turn left, sudden turn right etc...Roxy was flying allover the place, then when she realised I was not paying any attention, I felt her lead go loose and I looked down at her and she was at my side, from then on she kept an eye on me.
Basically irritate the living crap out of your dog and finally he's say "Gawdawmm woman, what do you want!" then you have his attention. Works like a charm.

Paula
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
Roxy said:
Roxy was like that,, b4 I went training and what he made me do is stand in the middle of the class, Roxy on training lead. Next he made me walk in different directions. No commands, no eye contact, just randomly walkin around, forward 10 steps, sudden turn left, sudden turn right etc...Roxy was flying allover the place, then when she realised I was not paying any attention, I felt her lead go loose and I looked down at her and she was at my side, from then on she kept an eye on me.
Basically irritate the living crap out of your dog and finally he's say "Gawdawmm woman, what do you want!" then you have his attention. Works like a charm.

Paula
Yeh did work like a charm :) very pleased with the result.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top