Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know that we have talked about our needy dogs before but I really am starting to worry about Sugar. She has always wanted to be with me but now she is out of control. When I call Isabella over to change her diaper either on the couch or on the bed Sugar is always getting in the middle. Whenever I lay down on the floor with the kids she has to get right up in it all. She has started darting out the door whenever we are leaving and jumps in the van and refuses to listen to me when I tell her to get out. I have to literally pull her out by her collar. She won't stay off the bed like she use to when it was bedtime. I have to lock her out and she will sleep at the door...More like on the door! She use to be content with a doggie bed in the room with us. I love her to pieces but she is making it impossible to do anything without her being there. I vacuum and she follows me around the house...well not follow she is in front of me and walking backwards. It is insane. Please tell me what you think the cause is and what a solution would be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
Honestly, it sounds as if she's acting like a spoiled brat. LOL :lol: Please don't take offence, as I don't mean it in a mean way. We went through this recently with Jazzy. The other dogs couldn't get attention or she was right there. My hubby and I couldn't snuggle, she had to get right in the middle. Easy fix, though. Take her back to basics. Stop coddling her and treating her like a child. You won't hurt her feelings, you won't damage her spirit. I'm only saying this out of experience because I made the same mistake with Jazz. It really didn't take her long to quit acting like that. good luck! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I thought too. It just kills me when she gives me the look. You all know the look! :cry: I do catch myself treating her like that often and then smack myself back to reality. It eats at me because I gave her up once and I feel so guilty. I just need to get over it and realize that she doesn't view it the same :wink:
Thanks <3 I will keep you posted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cookies Mom said:
When she doesn't listen put her somewhere where she is alone. This sounds like it would just kil her :lol: but you have to do it everytime she doesn't listen.
I thought about crating her but then wouldn't she associate the crate with being in trouble or something bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
I know it's difficult. Like I said, i'm guilty of the same thing, coddling my dogs. :roll: Just remember, dogs mve on ALOT quicker than we as humans do. They live in the moment, not in the past. Just remember that the discipline you give her is for her own good, to help her live a stable life. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LuvaBULL said:
Would she be distracted by some new toys or chews? My dogs will leave me alone for hours if they have something new to play with.
She did enjoy the pig parts I brought her home. I on the other hand was almost brought to vomit due to the stench!! She did go off alone when she had them. I think that maybe I should go and buy her some newbies!! Thanks Trina, I never thought of that!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
well hope you dont take this the wrong way ither sounds to me like she's getting ready to try and make a move up the pecking order in the (pack) house hold ....id nip this is the butt real quick ...there has to be people time and then dog time when she's trying to get into your people time it's not cool make sure she know's that and know that quick ..best of luck :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ALPHAMALE said:
well hope you dont take this the wrong way ither sounds to me like she's getting ready to try and make a move up the pecking order in the (pack) house hold ....id nip this is the butt real quick ...there has to be people time and then dog time when she's trying to get into your people time it's not cool make sure she know's that and know that quick ..best of luck :wink:
Steve that also crossed my mind. I don't know if that is really it. I think that she just wants attention all the time. I guess they kind of go hand in hand though. I am gonna take Kasco's advice and see how that works out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,272 Posts
i agree with kasco. myself i would start working some, very strict, obedience. always have her pinch and a short leash on her. when you tell her to do sumthin enforce that she do it, the first time! off the bed means off the bed, out of the car means now. always TELL , never ASK. i have a freeling she has you guilted into thinkin you are being a big meany, don't fall for it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
SugarBear said:
ALPHAMALE said:
well hope you dont take this the wrong way ither sounds to me like she's getting ready to try and make a move up the pecking order in the (pack) house hold ....id nip this is the butt real quick ...there has to be people time and then dog time when she's trying to get into your people time it's not cool make sure she know's that and know that quick ..best of luck :wink:
Steve that also crossed my mind. I don't know if that is really it. I think that she just wants attention all the time. I guess they kind of go hand in hand though. I am gonna take Kasco's advice and see how that works out.
I think people are too quick to announce issues like this as "Your dog wants to be alpha." Being alpha is stressful for a dog, and despite what people may think, not all dogs are always looking for a way to be on top. This situation just sounds like Sugar testing her limits, seeing what she can get away with as far as attention and affection go. Just because she's trying to sneak in more attention than you want to give doesn't mean that she wants to rule the household or doesn't see you as a leader. Dogs are selfish creatures and tend to want what they want when they want it. If you constantly give in, they've learned that they CAN get what they want when they want it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
SugarBear said:
ALPHAMALE said:
well hope you dont take this the wrong way ither sounds to me like she's getting ready to try and make a move up the pecking order in the (pack) house hold ....id nip this is the butt real quick ...there has to be people time and then dog time when she's trying to get into your people time it's not cool make sure she know's that and know that quick ..best of luck :wink:
Steve that also crossed my mind. I don't know if that is really it. I think that she just wants attention all the time. I guess they kind of go hand in hand though. I am gonna take Kasco's advice and see how that works out.
I think people are too quick to announce issues like this as "Your dog wants to be alpha." Being alpha is stressful for a dog, and despite what people may think, not all dogs are always looking for a way to be on top. This situation just sounds like Sugar testing her limits, seeing what she can get away with as far as attention and affection go. Just because she's trying to sneak in more attention than you want to give doesn't mean that she wants to rule the household or doesn't see you as a leader. Dogs are selfish creatures and tend to want what they want when they want it. If you constantly give in, they've learned that they CAN get what they want when they want it.
Yeah, like I said, I really don't think that is it at all. I can see where giving in all the time can lead to those issues but I don't think this is it. I really think that she needs to be retrained to mind the boss! She has been getting it easy from me and this is a problem that I caused. Dammit, I am a friggin idiot. It embarrasses me to have even posted this now! DUH!!! :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,272 Posts
SugarBear said:
Yeah, like I said, I really don't think that is it at all. I can see where giving in all the time can lead to those issues but I don't think this is it. I really think that she needs to be retrained to mind the boss! She has been getting it easy from me and this is a problem that I caused. Dammit, I am a friggin idiot. It embarrasses me to have even posted this now! DUH!!! :oops:

we all make the same mistakes, you certainly aren't the only one. i allowed the old man to get away with stuff when the puppy came home. felt bad cuz he was being run ragged by her, that was until he started taking advantage of the situation. now he gets told once to do sumthin and he had better do it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
SugarBear said:
ALPHAMALE said:
well hope you dont take this the wrong way ither sounds to me like she's getting ready to try and make a move up the pecking order in the (pack) house hold ....id nip this is the butt real quick ...there has to be people time and then dog time when she's trying to get into your people time it's not cool make sure she know's that and know that quick ..best of luck :wink:
Steve that also crossed my mind. I don't know if that is really it. I think that she just wants attention all the time. I guess they kind of go hand in hand though. I am gonna take Kasco's advice and see how that works out.
I think people are too quick to announce issues like this as "Your dog wants to be alpha." Being alpha is stressful for a dog, and despite what people may think, not all dogs are always looking for a way to be on top. This situation just sounds like Sugar testing her limits, seeing what she can get away with as far as attention and affection go. Just because she's trying to sneak in more attention than you want to give doesn't mean that she wants to rule the household or doesn't see you as a leader. Dogs are selfish creatures and tend to want what they want when they want it. If you constantly give in, they've learned that they CAN get what they want when they want it.
O iam sorry where did i say alpha ...i dont recall where i wrote that . :roll: .i was refuring to the way the dog pushes the littel one's out the way so the dog can get the attation and not the kid's ...but ok thanks for trying to read my mind :? a dog will try to take advantage of a stiuation if givin the chance and the smoochy woochyer (if that even a word lmao) you are with them and the easyer you are when telling them somthing and them not doing as they were told rite that sec... the more they will try to ..take advantage of a situation ...nip it in the butt you tell her to do somthing it should be done that sec... you tell her to go somwhere she should that sec... ..alpha i think you guy's got alpha on the brain this is a female dog that has never shown signs or alpha or bata and has never had domannce isiues before that iam a where of so why would you automaticly think i was refering to the ALPHA senario ?besides what do you think a dog tests you for to see if you still love it ?....lol... come on it's all about Classical Conditioning the more you do the better chance the dog will end up the way you want it too :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
ALPHAMALE said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
SugarBear said:
ALPHAMALE said:
well hope you dont take this the wrong way ither sounds to me like she's getting ready to try and make a move up the pecking order in the (pack) house hold ....id nip this is the butt real quick ...there has to be people time and then dog time when she's trying to get into your people time it's not cool make sure she know's that and know that quick ..best of luck :wink:
Steve that also crossed my mind. I don't know if that is really it. I think that she just wants attention all the time. I guess they kind of go hand in hand though. I am gonna take Kasco's advice and see how that works out.
I think people are too quick to announce issues like this as "Your dog wants to be alpha." Being alpha is stressful for a dog, and despite what people may think, not all dogs are always looking for a way to be on top. This situation just sounds like Sugar testing her limits, seeing what she can get away with as far as attention and affection go. Just because she's trying to sneak in more attention than you want to give doesn't mean that she wants to rule the household or doesn't see you as a leader. Dogs are selfish creatures and tend to want what they want when they want it. If you constantly give in, they've learned that they CAN get what they want when they want it.
O iam sorry where did i say alpha ...i dont recall where i wrote that . :roll: .i was refuring to the way the dog pushes the littel one's out the way so the dog can get the attation and not the kid's ...but ok thanks for trying to read my mind :? a dog will try to take advantage of a stiuation if givin the chance and the smoochy woochyer (if that even a word lmao) you are with them and the easyer you are when telling them somthing and them not doing as they were told rite that sec... the more they will try to ..take advantage of a situation ...nip it in the butt you tell her to do somthing it should be done that sec... you tell her to go somwhere she should that sec... ..alpha i think you guy's got alpha on the brain this is a female dog that has never shown signs or alpha or bata and has never had domannce isiues before that iam a where of so why would you automaticly think i was refering to the ALPHA senario ?besides what do you think a dog tests you for to see if you still love it ?....lol... come on it's all about Classical Conditioning the more you do the better chance the dog will end up the way you want it too :wink:
My apologies. You mentioned "moving up the pecking order" and "pack," so I made an incorrect assumption that you were refering to Sugar's trying to be "alpha." It wasn't an assumption that warranted your rolling your eyes at me, though, but I know you just can't help youself. ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
My apologies. You mentioned "moving up the pecking order" and "pack," so I made an incorrect assumption that you were refering to Sugar's trying to be "alpha." It wasn't an assumption that warranted your rolling your eyes at me, though, but I know you just can't help youself. ;)
but iv try to be SUTCH a good boy and tryed with MUTCH love to be nice lately i dont get why your still so angry with me? it's ok 4 you to put the :lol: after making fun of me but i put the :roll: and you get offended geeezzz sorry is this one better :pottytrain2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
SugarBear said:
Well, I know that we have talked about our needy dogs before but I really am starting to worry about Sugar. She has always wanted to be with me but now she is out of control. When I call Isabella over to change her diaper either on the couch or on the bed Sugar is always getting in the middle. Whenever I lay down on the floor with the kids she has to get right up in it all. She has started darting out the door whenever we are leaving and jumps in the van and refuses to listen to me when I tell her to get out. I have to literally pull her out by her collar. She won't stay off the bed like she use to when it was bedtime. I have to lock her out and she will sleep at the door...More like on the door! She use to be content with a doggie bed in the room with us. I love her to pieces but she is making it impossible to do anything without her being there. I vacuum and she follows me around the house...well not follow she is in front of me and walking backwards. It is insane. Please tell me what you think the cause is and what a solution would be.


Hello Sugar, crating her sounds ok only if you do it in a good way.
Most people just shove there dogs in there and close the door thats not the way to do it.
When trying to crate your dog try giving her treats as you do so this way she will understand
being crated is not a bad thing but a good thing. I am not sure how old your pup is but it's to do this when there very young.

We have a red noise Pitt his name is Max we love him to death he also
follows us every were...I have grown to understand he only wants LOVE
not to be a pest..He sleeps right next to our bed and also wants un to include us in everything we do.

Please understand dogs are very faithful they give there masters ever lasting love.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
serverextreme said:
SugarBear said:
Well, I know that we have talked about our needy dogs before but I really am starting to worry about Sugar. She has always wanted to be with me but now she is out of control. When I call Isabella over to change her diaper either on the couch or on the bed Sugar is always getting in the middle. Whenever I lay down on the floor with the kids she has to get right up in it all. She has started darting out the door whenever we are leaving and jumps in the van and refuses to listen to me when I tell her to get out. I have to literally pull her out by her collar. She won't stay off the bed like she use to when it was bedtime. I have to lock her out and she will sleep at the door...More like on the door! She use to be content with a doggie bed in the room with us. I love her to pieces but she is making it impossible to do anything without her being there. I vacuum and she follows me around the house...well not follow she is in front of me and walking backwards. It is insane. Please tell me what you think the cause is and what a solution would be.



Hello Sugar, crating her sounds ok only if you do it in a good way.
Most people just shove there dogs in there and close the door thats not the way to do it.
When trying to crate your dog try giving her treats as you do so this way she will understand
being crated is not a bad thing but a good thing. I am not sure how old your pup is but it's to do this when there very young.

We have a red noise Pitt his name is Max we love him to death he also
follows us every were...I have grown to understand he only wants LOVE
not to be a pest..He sleeps right next to our bed and also wants un to include us in everything we do.

Please understand dogs are very faithful they give there masters ever lasting love.
Thanks for the advice. Sugar is 3 years old and she is super loving. Her behavior is due to me giving her so much attention all the time that she has come to expect it. I don't think I am going to crate her for being this way though. We don't use the crate with her anymore so to get it out now would any confuse her IMO. I am just going to keep her pinch and leash on for a few days or however long it takes for her to realize that when I say off, down, out, and sit..Dammit I mean it! :) She is as smart as a whip and she will remember how it works soon! Thanks for all the great advice people! I love this place
:wink:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top