Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard of positive reinforcment but what about negative reinforcment. My sympathy and love for my dog DROPPED today when he tried to bite me for the first time. Im going to stop being loving with him and start the discipline. My approach is to NEVER smother him wen hes good. BUt simply pet him. and if he is bad or aggressive I am going to beat his butt. What do you guys think? this dog really thinks hes boss and thats the only way i can think of to put him in his place? anyone have another idea because i really dont want to strike him but hes soooo stubborn!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Striking your dog is a REALLY BAD idea. First off, they have an extremely high tolerance for pain. Second, you're teaching your dog, I'm upset, I'll lash out physically. Is this really what you want?

Do you have children? When they're bad, do you beat them, too?

How old is your dog? Age makes a big difference, and will help other members of this forum offer you alternative suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Jebronys said:
Ive heard of positive reinforcment but what about negative reinforcment. My sympathy and love for my dog DROPPED today when he tried to bite me for the first time. Im going to stop being loving with him and start the discipline. My approach is to NEVER smother him wen hes good. BUt simply pet him. and if he is bad or aggressive I am going to beat his butt. What do you guys think? this dog really thinks hes boss and thats the only way i can think of to put him in his place? anyone have another idea because i really dont want to strike him but hes soooo stubborn!!!
What do you think he will do when you beat his butt? Stopping to be aggressive? No for sure not. He need some obedience excercise when he is bad and still positive reinforcements when he is good. Get a trainer if you don't know how to handle him. I think you need professionel help anyway to teach your dog who is the leader. It is important where is your dog sleeping, who goes first to your front door when someone else is coming, who go first out when your open your door, dio you feed him after you were eating, who start to play and who finish, who start to cuddle him?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hes 4 1/2 months old and i got him 1 1/2 months ago. He has nevershowed any aggressive tendancies from the day I got him up until today is the first time. I am the first person to walk in and out of ANY door. Whenever i give him treats i feed it to him out of my hand. Basically I been doing everything Im supposed to do to keep the dog "in check". Now maybe im overreacting heres what happend. I had to go somewhere so I told him to "go to his box" he always knows that means his crate. Well he decided to growl at me and refused to move. I went to grab him by his collar and he went to go bite me but he PURPOSLEY missed me as if he was trying to intimidate me. So i grabbed the choke chain put it on his neck and pulled it as tightly as i could brought him over near his crate released and said "GO TO YOUR BOX!" and he ran in and layed down. When i came back he was Happier to see me than ive ever seen. So im thinking this particular dog needs to be "put in his place" SO i guess i worded it wrong im not talkin about hitting him just "being firm" when he acts up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Jebronys said:
Ive heard of positive reinforcment but what about negative reinforcment. My sympathy and love for my dog DROPPED today when he tried to bite me for the first time. Im going to stop being loving with him and start the discipline. My approach is to NEVER smother him wen hes good. BUt simply pet him. and if he is bad or aggressive I am going to beat his butt. What do you guys think? this dog really thinks hes boss and thats the only way i can think of to put him in his place? anyone have another idea because i really dont want to strike him but hes soooo stubborn!!!
Beating your dog will only satisfy your need to express your frustration - the dog will take no learning message from it. In addition if you had an agression problem, violence would only cause escalation. There is nothing wroing with positive reinforcement. It in itself does not cause problems. I mean, when you go to the ATM and hit the wrong button you don't get an electric shock or a stern "NO", it just doesn't pay off. So the lack of posistive reinforcement trains you to hit the right buttons.

Dog training is not combat. You can assert your pack position without jacking up your dog. Do things like obedience training. Ask for a sit/stay before you put down his meal. Stuff like that. Dogs are not humans in dog suits, they're a whole different 'nother creature.

Paula
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats another thing i do. Before I leave the house with the dog, come in the house, feed him, or give him a treat I always make him sit/stay. I'm tellin you he is a very obedient dog and thats why i am so supprised that he acted this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Jebronys said:
thats another thing i do. Before I leave the house with the dog, come in the house, feed him, or give him a treat I always make him sit/stay. I'm tellin you he is a very obedient dog and thats why i am so supprised that he acted this way.
1. How old is your dog?
2. Is your dog neutered?
3. What were the circumstances surrounding this bite?

I ask those questions because all bites are not created equal. For instance, if your dog bit you out of resource agression then the next step is more likely hand feeding than beating. If your dog is young and mouthed you then the next step is stopping play when it gets too rough.

Those are just examples.
Paula
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to be rude but Im not goign to repeat myself. All those questions you asked except one were mentioned in previous posts.

No he is not neutered. And i am not going to neuter him so please dont suggest that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
To neuter him wouldn't help in that case. I mean it is very unusually to growl and bite in that age and for a dog who is pretty much obedient. You didn't metioned the sircumstances why he was growling at you ? My very first AB growl at me when I want him to leave to couch, I grab him by his collar and he was going to bite me. His growling means stay away, but why he want you to stay away from what? food or toy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Beating a dog is not negative reinforcement. The goal of negative reinforcement is to strengthen a behavior through the avoidance of something negative. (I've heard of retreiver trainers applying an electrical shock to dogs while they are retreiving to get them to come back more quickly.) The goal of punishment, on the otherhand, is to weaken behavior. In this case, you want to weaken his aggression toward you. Is this right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
One thing I use to reinforce my alfa position is the "long down". I pput her in a down, stay, for anywhere from 20 min to an hour at a time. Of course they will try to get up, and you don't allow it. It definately reinforces, you do what i say, when I say. I believe it has the same effect as an alfa roll, but it's much more passive. Does that make sense? I don't so this every day, but it's a good thing to do occasionally. For instance, when you're online, put him in a down/stay next to you, and he doesn't get up until you do.

You sound very determined to keep him intact. May I ask why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
nanniesrock said:
One thing I use to reinforce my alfa position is the "long down". I pput her in a down, stay, for anywhere from 20 min to an hour at a time. Of course they will try to get up, and you don't allow it. It definately reinforces, you do what i say, when I say. I believe it has the same effect as an alfa roll, but it's much more passive. Does that make sense? I don't so this every day, but it's a good thing to do occasionally. For instance, when you're online, put him in a down/stay next to you, and he doesn't get up until you do.

You sound very determined to keep him intact. May I ask why?

I'm all about the long down! It's a great part of NILIF or RRRR.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
Your dog is only 4.5 months old which means it is a puppy there is no need to beat a puppy at that age....Puppies are going to test their limits it is up to you to make their limits are the same everytime!!! If you continue to beat your dog..he WILL fight back one day and you WILL lose :twisted: What puts man at te top of the food chain is not strength, their are animals ( and yes your dog is one of them) more powerful than us...What put us at the top of the food chain is wits if you lose yours, you have already lost the battle :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
angie7349 said:
Trolling much?
Sorry, who were you referring to please?

Paula
The person that wrote this post...you quoted me as I was changing it, LOL,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
angie7349 said:
PaulaEdwina said:
angie7349 said:
Trolling much?
Sorry, who were you referring to please?

Paula
The person that wrote this post...you quoted me as I was changing it, LOL,
LOL. That was what I thought but I wanted to be sure. You know what they say happens when you assume...

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
I don't think he is ever or will ever beat his pup. It sounded to me like he was just saying that more out of frusteration then anything and just wants some advice on things to do on top of what he already has done. He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and great basic knowledge on how to train a pup but his just happens to be more bully headed then others
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
angie7349 said:
Your dog is only 4.5 months old which means it is a puppy there is no need to beat a puppy at that age....Puppies are going to test their limits it is up to you to make their limits are the same everytime!!! If you continue to beat your dog..he WILL fight back one day and you WILL lose :twisted: What puts man at te top of the food chain is not strength, their are animals ( and yes your dog is one of them) more powerful than us...What put us at the top of the food chain is wits if you lose yours, you have already lost the battle :lol:
1. I didn't realize the dog was only a baby. A baby biting is mouthing usually - no understanding of manners. He is not being agressive to you in the way that you think. So just stopping play works well. In addition, being demonstrably agressive in response will only stimulate more play. Do not beat your puppy for being a puppy, take the lead and teach him manners. Here is your opportunity to raise this puppy to be a confident, fearless adult....or something else.

2. Becoming demonstrably agressive with your dog only makes you seem scared of your dog, and goodness gracious what could your puppy possibly have done to elicit such a reaction from you. Have you ever seen a true alpha dog? He is not demonstrative, he is not belligerant, yet other dogs defer to him and he has that unmistakable air of certainty that if he needed to he could rip off your head and crap down your neck. Like Angie pointed out; your mastery doesn't come from being agressive.


Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
Beating a 4 1/2 old puppy............lol, obviously a troll. My pups are 4 1/2 old today, you can't beat their butt-they are too small and would break!Even thoug very big, no way!

I think too the op is just upset right now, the op will get over it. Puppies have to test, they dont know, how are they supossed to know these things???Instinct doesnt tell them.............they learn by testing.

I use a time out. It has always worked for me, even way back with Sassy. Dixie to this day has never even tested me, because IMO I have showered her with more love then you can imagine for positive behavior, she hates to disappoint me, or she'll get time out.

You must squeezex and love with good behavior, it makes the dog feel when they do let you down, like they have just commited the ultimate sin, and they want the positive love again.Not the frown face!

Anyway, my opinion, but we will see if he comes back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
angie7349 said:
PaulaEdwina said:
angie7349 said:
Trolling much?
Sorry, who were you referring to please?

Paula
The person that wrote this post...you quoted me as I was changing it, LOL,
LOL. That was what I thought but I wanted to be sure. You know what they say happens when you assume...

Paula
I know that is why I removed it.. :lol: Yeah it just pup

OP no one was trying to be a jerk when asking how old your dog is etc... A lot of people here have hundreds of posts to search through and there are hundreds of dogs we just can't remember how old each one is
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top