Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so... we have some neighbours that have men working at their house, and Brittle is now going over there... a LOT... and these men aren't really the nicest guys. I'm afraid of her getting taken because she's a really nice looking rednose pit. I think they've been feeding her so she can get close enough so one of'em can take her home.

I've tried keeping an eye on her, but it's almost impossible when I'm cleaning out stalls and my mother is over next door working with horses. I've put her in our feed room until my mom gets back, but I feel bad about that.

Any ideas on how to get this dog to stay around the house and barn and not go near those men?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Crate her? Tie her up? Put her in a dog run?? You could also put a leash on her and tether her to you when she's outside.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Ever thought of leashing her? Where I live it's the law....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is this for real?

It's called a collar & leash. Try Google - I'm sure you can find plenty of info on both items...they've been around for a very long time.

If I were your neighbor I'd have a big problem with you allowing your animals to roam free.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Please tie her up, you need to be a responsible owner and prevent problems like this, especially one as easily fix-able like this one is.
I have seen many people, usually younger men stare at Chapps cause he's stunning and thats why he is NEVER alone outside, i never even think to tie him in the front either.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neo, she isn't "roaming free" She's in our back yard. Our yard happens to be about 10 acres. (9.5 of it is out in front and the other .5 is in the back FENCED mind you)

And I can't just leash her or tie her up when she goes outside every single time. Our other two dogs will be running around (near us) and she'll get upset because she won't be able to play with them.

Do you know how much an invisible fence is? I'm seriously thinking about investing in one of those.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, first off, if she's able to set one paw on someone else's property (without you on the other end of her leash), you're letting her roam free. Let's get that straight.

Second, I guess I still don't fully understand the problem if you already have a half acre that's fenced.

With that new information, the answer is differrent, but just as obvious.

Let her out in the fenced yard.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Xelleron said:
How about having her chipped? Is that a good idea?
I don't understand either... why do you let all your dogs run loose? Why don't you keep them in the fenced area?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Doesnt make sense to me either???....These guys could be giving your dog anything! Chipping her helps say if she got lost but if they take her it really won't help. Keep her in the fenced area, in the house,crated, tethered to your belt loop with her leash, or get a 30ft leash and tie it near you so that she can be in your eyesight and still be outside with you. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our whole ten acres is fenced off. And our neighbours have a really bad fenceline and she likes to go over to look at their dogs. My dad tried fixing the fence but our neighbours don't like helping out so we can only do so much for the fence line.

she goes behind our house in the mornings when we have horse chores, and usually she'll stay in one of the stalls with us, but recently she's been wandering over to the neighbours.

That help a little?

The reason we don't hook her up to a chain is because Macey, our boxer mix, gets mad and chews through whatever we have... even chain. Plus, Macey and Brittle play most of the morning, they run around constantly (That's their exersize).

I guess it's hard to explain since I'm out in the boonies of Monticello. She stays in our yard, but she likes going over to the fence line to watch the men work. She thinks they are going to come over and do something.

that help a little?

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
If you own a dog it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to keep it contained on your own property. I can't even believe you are asking this question. :shock: . The answers are so simple and obvious. If anything happens whatsoever because your dog left your property, you are responsible. Do like the others have suggested..its really not rocket science. Who cares if your dog gets upset because te others are free. TOO BAD!!!! What is worse? That she get stolen or injured in some way or that she is safely tied or confined to the fenced area?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Xelleron said:
Neo, she isn't "roaming free" She's in our back yard. Our yard happens to be about 10 acres. (9.5 of it is out in front and the other .5 is in the back FENCED mind you)

And I can't just leash her or tie her up when she goes outside every single time. Our other two dogs will be running around (near us) and she'll get upset because she won't be able to play with them.

Do you know how much an invisible fence is? I'm seriously thinking about investing in one of those.

Invisible fence runs any where from 200-400 dollars.You might look at running it between you and the property next door.

Invisible Fence!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I adopted Kahlua over 1 year ago and the only thing that worked was a training collar. I live on over 1 acre which 3 sides of the house is surrounded by 21 acres of woods and the other is a hill with a horse pasture and the road to the neighborhood. I tried everything from leashes to runners and tie downs and the only thing that worked was the collar, the one that beeps or shocks them. At first I though it was cruel but I tested it on myself and there are different settings depending on the size of the dog and it's not cruel in any way it just gets their attention. I used it for 2 weeks and had to shock her 3 times when the beeps didn't work and that was it. I haven't used it or anything else since and haven't had 1 problem. Just a reminder though that every dog is different but I always supervise her and would never allow her to wander to a neighbors house unless I had her leashed (by law).

·
Registered
122 Posts
The dog is on there property read the posts. but the answers are the same never the less. if she doesnt leave your yard whats the prob? A INVISABLE FENCE IS NOT GONNA STOP SOME @SSHOLE FROM COMING OVER YOUR FENCE AND GRABBING THE DOG. Either get a run for her or watch her when shes out.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Invisible fence will not work for this situation. A good quality dog run will work. Chipping the dog wont prevent it from being stolen. And I would have some words with the guys and let them know it is not ok to feed the dog. Get a shotgun or even a replica, let them see you walking around your property with that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.