Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though Heaven is older, and she was here first, Koa suddenly thinks he runs this joint! They have never had problems eating together before. Now Koa growls when she comes near, and she has to wait until he's done eating before she can approach her bowl. And she seems okay with this! I can't have my girl submitting to a man! :lol: Just kidding... I'll start feeding them in separate rooms.

But that's not the only thing. They always sleep together. Just now Heaven tried to join him in the dog house, and he wouldn't let her in! He just growled, not in a "I'm going to fight you" sort of way, but like a "warning" growl. Maybe he was playing, I couldn't see his face. But she just accepted this and walked away. What the heck? Since when did he become boss, and why does she put up with it!? She's NOT a submissive dog. She is the first one to bark at other dogs and strangers, and she's my rowdy, more aggressive one. You'd think she'd fight him tooth and nail, but she just calmly walks away. I'm GLAD they don't fight, don't get me wrong... but I don't understand why there was suddenly a transition of their alpha order. Is it just because he's finally bigger than her? Or because she knows he's the male? Even though she is older, do the males still think they're the leaders of the pack? Heaven & Koa both still act like big huge babies when I'm around, and both are very submissive to ME. Definitely still puppies. But watching them from a distance, they act like different dogs. It's weird.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't think it's because he's a male. Sometimes things just change. Heaven can be more aggressive and alpha like to other dogs and still be submissive to Koa. You usually won't know their standing until they're mature. They will work it our between themselves.

Our dog Sadie used to always be the top dog. It didn't matter if it was male or female, she let them know she was boss. Now that she's older (going on 13) we have found that she is becoming the submissive dog more and more. It's a very weird change.

As long as Heaven is walking away that's a good sign. I would definatley keep a close eye on them though. :)

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
They will sort the pecking order out themselves. Like Care said, Heaven can be submissive to Koa, but not to others outside the house. In our house, Chopper is the dominant dog. We cater to him as such and the others accept that. He gets fed first, he gets attention first, he goes for walks first. It's hard sometimes to see Jazzy submit to him, but deep down I know that's how it's got to be. They decided that, not me. As long as Heaven can agree that Koa's the boss, life will be fine for everyone! :wink:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
We have the same problem...Scarlet is the dominant one. But since Clutch is getting bigger he is teating the water. Little things here and there but definant difference
!.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts