Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today me and my boyfriend adopted a 1 1/2 year old pit bull today from a rescue, and he has been lovable fun- playing with all the dogs in the neighborhood and just been wonderful! But the only thing is that when he got on the couch first my fiancee hugged him-he snarled and jumped up. he has growled twice now in one day but every other time we play he is so much fun. Does anyone have any ideas or clues as to why or how to stop that??? Thanks! :oops: :cry:

· Registered
641 Posts
britbrat55 said:
Well today me and my boyfriend adopted a 1 1/2 year old pit bull today from a rescue, and he has been lovable fun- playing with all the dogs in the neighborhood and just been wonderful! But the only thing is that when he got on the couch first my fiancee hugged him-he snarled and jumped up. he has growled twice now in one day but every other time we play he is so much fun. Does anyone have any ideas or clues as to why or how to stop that??? Thanks! :oops: :cry:
First of all I think you're overfacing this dog. He doesn't know you, he's in a new/stressful situation. Generally when I'm dealing with fosters I give them some space to settle into their routine. You have to stifle that urge to show off your new baby. Do start routines right away, but remember this dog doesn't know you from Adam and has no idea what's going on. Give him a minute.

JMO
Paula

· Registered
7,502 Posts
It sounds like you have a dominant dog here. Often times dominant dogs are not going to take too kindly to a "Hug", especially from a stranger. A dominant dog is not going to view the action of a hug to be a loving gesture but rather a threat to his alpha status. You need to first build a bond with this dog. I suggest hand feeding the dog for the first several weeks or months. Do some positive obedience stuff with the dog. Once you have a bond and you have the dog working for you for rewards (food, toy) you can start adding in corrections to let him know who is boss.

Also, be careful about letting your dog play with other dogs. You boy is just starting to reach maturity and dog aggression is very common in this breed (they were bred for fighting other dogs). Allowing him to play with strange dogs in your neighbourhood could be an accident waiting to happen and in no way will it prevent future dog aggression. In fact it could actually cause the opposite effect. YOU and your B/F should be the most important thing in your dogs life anyways, not some other dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.