Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a totally adorable female french bulldog. She is 10 weeks old. I was told by the breeder to feed her no meet, grains ect. Just a dry dog food once a day with 16% protein and the rest the time feed her fresh veggies like carrots, broccoli, yams...... On the internet I have read about a very different diet for frenchies, like raw meat ect. I am desperate to here your advice on this food topic. What do you feed your frenchies???? Do vets really know what they are talking about when it comes to a frenchies diet?? HELP!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I am not sure if there would be a specific diet for frenchies or not, but I'm going to throw my 2cents in...

From reading information on here that other people have researched, a raw diet really is the best way to go for a dog (not sure if it's best to start it with a dog as young as yours someone else will have to answer that) and most vets say this is a big no no. so that sort of gives a little insight on vets and nutrition.

Also from what I gathered, vets do not need to have a nutritional background in order to practice.

I would go with what your breeder says since the breeder acutally has raised dogs and fed them and obviously has some pretty special dogs since they are breeding them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think I would go with what your breeder recommends. Just make sure to get a good quality dry food (check out the food rating sticky at the top of this forum for ideas).

As for the raw food diet.....

I would research both sides of the BARF (raw foods) issue for yourself. I find that once people become enamored with an idea they tend to seek out information and research that supports what they want to be true. I was within a hair's breadth of starting my dogs on a raw diet and decided that maybe I should see what the other side had to say....

I ended up deciding not to feed it and am fairly well convinced that it is not good for a dog at all.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
I ended up deciding not to feed it and am fairly well convinced that it is not good for a dog at all.
Hey, Chris. Can you share the sources you read to come to this conclusion? I'm on the fence about raw feeding, too, and I want to read everything I can before I make a decision.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Chrisnjen said:
Hey, Chris. Can you share the sources you read to come to this conclusion? I'm on the fence about raw feeding, too, and I want to read everything I can before I make a decision.
I just put a few up on the "Raw diet?" thread in this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts