Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just picked up my first French Bulldog last Sunday and it's going to be my first attempt with crate trainning.
She (Gizzie) is a little over 2 months old (born Oct. 28th), right now I have her in one of the bathrooms if we can't keep an eye on her.

From what I have been reading on the net it looks like I should try crate trainning until she is like 3 or 4 months of age, is this correct?
Also how do I know what size crate to get for her?

Thanks for the help in advace.

Jeff

www.msbrooklyn.com/puppy.html/

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
There really is no "training" involved with the crate. You just put the puppy in it! I crate my dogs the day they enter my home, even as young puppies. Puppy will probably cry in the beginning but don't give in. Puppy will get used to it. I highly recommend using crates, especially with puppies. Without a crate you will probably have lots of accidents, not to mention things being runied in the house. As puppy gets older you won't have to rely on a crate that much. But right now you will find it better if puppy spends alot of its time in a crate. You life will be much easier with a crate!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
you can go ahead and get her a crate now that will accomidate her for when she is full grown so you don't have to spend more money on a new one... just make sure you get a divider so you can make it smaller to start off with

·
Registered
722 Posts
http://www.ukcdogs.com/breeds/companions/frenchbulldog.std.shtml

Go to your local petstore and look at the crate sizing. They should say what size/weight they are good up to. I'd also get one that has the divider in it so you can start out with a smaller crate and increase it as she gets bigger. The reason for this is that the larger the crate is, the more likely they are going to go to the bathroom in it so you don't want it too big.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts