Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im also very new to this, I have a 7mth old Staffie called Sapphire, but has the need to eat her own poo!!! She has been doing this since we had her which is 4mths now. We also have another dog a Jack Russell called Gizmo who is 1yr old. Im finding it hard as she is still not house trained I wake up to 3 poos and as many wees, but a mark where some of the poo was!!! we take her out 4-5 times a day. My vet has told me it is a behaveral problem (sorry cant spell lol) and isnt lacking in any vitamins. Other than that she is the best anyone could ask for she gets on very well with my children 12,10 and 4.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mate, get yourself a dog crate (got mine on Ebay for £25), and encourage her to spend time in it (make it nice for her in there- put her bed and toys in there, so she starts to regard it as her little "den", her little refuge from the world).
When she's comfortable with sleeping in there, close the door after she's gone to sleep (and put her water bowl in there)and only let her out if she really whines and makes a huge fuss for minutes on end, then let her outside and see if she needs the toilet (try training her to go to the toilet on command by saying the same word every time she does her business, then praising her heavily when she does- she'll soon learn to do her stuff when you say that word)

Trust me, crate training helps tremendously towards house training- a dog won't mess where it sleeps, and if it has no option to go elsewhere in your house, it'll let you know if it needs to go! Just be prepared to get up in the night like you would with a small baby, until she learns to hold it all night)

Plus, if they're crate trained, if you need to go out for a few hours and leave them unattended, you don't get back to find they've eaten your bloody furniture!

And if she carries on eating poo- try put some Jamaican hot pepper sauce on any turds that might be lying around- she'll soon learn her lesson (have some cold milk standing by- it takes the sting away! Sometimes you do have to be a bit mean......)

BTW- she's a georgeous girl!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
good advice, but
i would not put the water bowl in the crate
you should limit the water intake at bed time
this will cut dowm the piddles in the night

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
getting a crate

Thanks for the information about the crate I have considered wether to get one before. Do you think I should put the other dog in his own crate as well as putting her in one. He is very clean but would putting him a crate affect him, I dont think it would if anything it might get him a place to relax away from her haha. cx

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: getting a crate

thebrats said:
Thanks for the information about the crate I have considered wether to get one before. Do you think I should put the other dog in his own crate as well as putting her in one. He is very clean but would putting him a crate affect him, I dont think it would if anything it might get him a place to relax away from her haha. cx
Don't worry- dogs love crates, it appeals to their natural den instinct. But definately only one dog per crate- like you said, give the little guy a place where he can be on his own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts