Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a APBT, about 14 wks old that I adopted from a shelter. Her name is Clover due to a clover leaf pattern on her rear end.

Lately, she has been becoming more assertive in her personality. For most of the day, she is very quiet, affectionate, and well-behaved. But for about an hour every day, she becomes possessed by rebellious demon. She will go into barking fits that appear to me as back-talk, and she will run circles around the house at full speed, running under furniture, on top of furniture (the couch). At these times she is very wary of being approached and will back up barking and growling. She gets into a heavy frenzy and wears herself out doing this, panting very heavy at times.

I do walk her, and play with her throughout the day, but I am limited to wearing her out with exercise, since I live in an apartment complex without a fenced area to really work her to being tired.

Is this normal teenager behavior? Is there anything I can do to correct this behavior? I have tried leaving the leash on her and issuing firm corrections and No! in an authoritative voice, but she just gets mouthy again and barks. Her tail is wagging all thru this, and she assumes a pay position of bowing so I assume she is having fun doing this and doesnt realize that this is undesired.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Sounds like normal puppy behavior. At 14 weeks, she's no where near a teenager yet - still a baby. It also sounds like she may need more exercise during the day. Might help her with the night zoomies (running around like a little freak). My 11 week old pup gets really wound up on the days she doesn't get enough day time exercise. It's perfectly normal for your 14 week old to get wound up and to want to play. I'de be worried if I had a bully pup that didn't want to play much and just laid around being quiet.

Remember too, bullies usually don't mature until they are around 2-3 years of age. So her teenage time is a long way off. They stay "babies" longer then most other breeds (non-bullies).

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Definitely sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. I love spunky little puppies!! Focus on doing a few short obedience sessions a day (with positive reinforcement only) to make training and obeying you something she looks forward to. A tired puppy is a well-behaved puppy! If you can't wear her out physically, wear her out mentally by teaching her new tricks or giving her a challenging chew to work on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with all that ever one had said. What I do with my dog when he does something I dont like I put him in time out and and tell him he's a bad boy he knows by those word what he has done is wrong. You have to show him that you are the Alfa dog. and I agree with Leeann.Bella.Remy obedience is the key.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing6: sounds like a normal puppy to me :laughing5: :laughing5:
you have, hmmm, about another 6 months of that to come :laughing6:
your puppy at this point is more like a 2 year old. somewhere around 6 months you have a teenager and at this point i think they start to flip you off too :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

·
Registered
66 Posts

Our AB pup does the same thing and usually right before she crashes. She just goes ape S for about five minutes and then out like a light. We try to wear her out but are not always successful. Nothing to be worried about unless they are destroying the house or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to everyone who replied and offered - sympathy - and understanding about the "zoomies." That perfectly describes what she does, and I am glad it is just a normal thing for them. I honestly thought she was out of her mind for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts