Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Everyone

A bit of myself and new pup - I was in search of a new puppy - actually, I was seeking a Chihuahua puppy. A week and a half ago, my husband appeared with a small cardboard box with an itty bitty puppy, eyes closed and tells me it's American Pitbull puppy. Orphaned, its mother died from complications and they didn't think the litter of four pups would make it and since I absolutely love animals I am now a proud owner of a beautiful female pup " Fury "

She doesn't have the advantage of socializing with the litter siblings and the comfort of its mother... so my newbie question would be - (she opened her eyes over the weekend) Is there something that I can do that could ease her into my world without her going through too much stress?

Thank you, All - advice, suggestions or anything will be quite welcomed.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Fury said:
Hello, Everyone

A bit of myself and new pup - I was in search of a new puppy - actually, I was seeking a Chihuahua puppy. A week and a half ago, my husband appeared with a small cardboard box with an itty bitty puppy, eyes closed and tells me it's American Pitbull puppy. Orphaned, its mother died from complications and they didn't think the litter of four pups would make it and since I absolutely love animals I am now a proud owner of a beautiful female pup " Fury "

She doesn't have the advantage of socializing with the litter siblings and the comfort of its mother... so my newbie question would be - (she opened her eyes over the weekend) Is there something that I can do that could ease her into my world without her going through too much stress?

IMHO, socialization is going to be more important then ever, since she can't have the first 8 weeks w/ her mom and siblings. Get her around other dog friendly dogs as much as possible.

~S

·
Registered
143 Posts
Amocat00 said:
Fury said:
Hello, Everyone

IMHO, socialization is going to be more important then ever, since she can't have the first 8 weeks w/ her mom and siblings. Get her around other dog friendly dogs as much as possible.
Actually, that's not the correct way. Your pup is very vulnerable to diseases and one of them is Parvo. Keep her with you and within the confines of your home until she's 12 weeks old. Insure she gets her shots and be the best surrogate mother/father/littermate you can be. She should be good to go for socialization after 12 weeks and of course, her shots are all squared away.

I wish you luck and if she just opened her eyes, I'm thinking about 13-16 days old. Momma's nutrients and pack order are vital and hopefully a seasoned member with experience will chime in to help with the lack of Momma and Momma's milk not being there at all times.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
keep her close to your heart so she can here it this will relax her ! :wink: food woarmth love and water all she will need for a wile !

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
E-Dogg said:
Amocat00 said:
Fury said:
Hello, Everyone

Actually, that's not the correct way. Your pup is very vulnerable to diseases and one of them is Parvo. Keep her with you and within the confines of your home until she's 12 weeks old. Insure she gets her shots and be the best surrogate mother/father/littermate you can be. She should be good to go for socialization after 12 weeks and of course, her shots are all squared away.

I wish you luck and if she just opened her eyes, I'm thinking about 13-16 days old. Momma's nutrients and pack order are vital and hopefully a seasoned member with experience will chime in to help with the lack of Momma and Momma's milk not being there at all times.
Sorry, I should have specified, when she gets older, not right away. Like I said, b/c she won't have the first 8 weeks with her mother and siblings, AFTER THAT POINT and you're sure she's healthy, get her the socialization I mentioned before.

~S

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, All

I'm currently bottle feeding her with milk replacer "formula" - I wake up with her many times during the night to feed her and just reassure her because I can only image how new it is all to her. ( A lot like a human baby ) I knew about not letting her step foot anywhere outdoors but I was told six weeks old but will definitely keep her with me. I also have other members of my family hold her and feed her as well - I'm hoping that helps too so she can socialize within our home first before venturing into the outside world. But like its all new for her - it's also very new to me as well.

I'm happy I stumbled upon this site and hope it helps calm my nerves a bit. heh, like a new " mom " I want to do the right thing for her and by her.

Again, thank you everyone.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Well I never bottled fed a puppy but I have done 5 kittens (not at once). They make the BEST pets because she will look at you as her mother and she will be with you in way others pup wouldn't. There will be no adjusting because she only knows you and not a litter. Feed her, loveher and even start to training her in very simple commands. Hopefully you have her in a crate so that crate training as well as housebreaking will have begun. Good luck and keep us posted.
debs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts