Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went up to visit RE this past weekend and it turns out Diablo is now larger than his father! And he's only 7.5months!! (turning 8 months old on the 25th).
He is ~100pnds almost 8 months old and he hasn't even began to start filling out yet, his bones are still growing. I'm hoping for a record size here hehe.

Calvin is saying he is going to be larger than any of the current dogs in his lineup now (and one of the largest he's had). He is extremely big and tall for his age but he's not overweight or underweight, he's been on the suggested servings of royal canin large breed puppy food as well in order to control growth, so he's definatley not maturing too fast (and he's pretty lean).

He just got a new bed today cos he outgrew his other one, so I took some pics of him enjoying it hehe..









His roomate Dante (german short haired pointer) also just got a new bed, and we also just got a 3rd one :eek:
Surprise coming for Diablo in a week or so. :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Wow 100 lbs!!! I love how you can see his wrinkles on his head in the first pic! He looks awesome!

Does Calvin feed puppy food, or recomend it? I know a lot of breeders now are either not feeding puppy food at all, or switching to adult around 6 months. It's been proven that puppy food can lead to large dogs having joint and bone problems latter in life. (did I already tell you that?) I was just wondering if he feeds it to his own dogs. Maybe ask him if he's heard about any of this, maybe he'll do some research on it, it's pretty new.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
dont get mad

hope you dont get offended with this comment but you ambull looks like a realy stocky german short haired pointer here have a look :wink:


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Care said:
Wow 100 lbs!!! I love how you can see his wrinkles on his head in the first pic! He looks awesome!

Does Calvin feed puppy food, or recomend it? I know a lot of breeders now are either not feeding puppy food at all, or switching to adult around 6 months. It's been proven that puppy food can lead to large dogs having joint and bone problems latter in life. (did I already tell you that?) I was just wondering if he feeds it to his own dogs. Maybe ask him if he's heard about any of this, maybe he'll do some research on it, it's pretty new.

He was recommending it as the type I am feeding him is meant for dogs that are between 2-15 months of age and it is formulated for slow growth (as it's specifically made for large breed dogs that normally go through quite the change during puppyhood). This is meant to moderate his growth. Royal Canin large breed puppy also has condroiten + glucosamine for fast growing healthy joints. Not sure what Calvin is feeding his pups though. I was told that if he switched to adult food now and was eating the same amount, that he would start to fill out earlier than his bones may like him to. Right now he's a good size because his muscles haven't started to bulk up or fill out yet, which is what normally causes issues earlier on if you fill them out too early. His dogs mature (size-wise) at around 4 yrs of age.

In case people were wondering - I was looking back in his pedigree and I see Hines, Johnson, Scott... Grandam is 100% Johnson (Maddie), other grandam is hines/scott (Vogue), he shares same grandsire on both sides, was a massive dog named Sultan who was roughly 50/50 johnson/scott (he was tall, thick + bully but not extreme bully but very muscular).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: dont get mad

ALPHAMALE said:
hope you dont get offended with this comment but you ambull looks like a realy stocky german short haired pointer here have a look :wink:


Haha yes! that's what I was saying when I got him. His ears look like hounds ears (or like a boxer's - not quite as long as a hound and more like a mastiff)! But he will grow into them I'm told. He's had a few dogs like this (were all very large dogs) that have all grown into their ears. Those dogs all had extremely large heads. Right now Diablo's head is already bigger than mine hehe.

The livernose also helps to make him look like the pointer :D
It's kinda cool cos his roomate is a german short-haired pointer. In person tho they look very different :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a couple pics of his Grand-Sire that he's doubled up on:








ps: thnx for the comments!

looking forward to working him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: if you like that pic

attitude said:
you should like this one
nice, yeah I remember that from the gallery on the re website :)


Here's another of Diablo relaxing on his new bed:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Re: if you like that pic

redbull said:
attitude said:
you should like this one
nice, yeah I remember that from the gallery on the re website :)


Here's another of Diablo relaxing on his new bed:

That's a cute pic, but his new bed looks kinda small for him! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Oh he is so beautiful. And massive. I think I love him.
Do you think he might perhaps never grow into his ears. Bella is 8 months (67lbs) and has a WHOLE lot of growing to do if she is ever going to grow into her ears... or feet for that matter. I just dont think it's gonna happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: if you like that pic

GTChick01 said:
That's a cute pic, but his new bed looks kinda small for him! :D
haha true, it's bigger than it looks - half of his bed in this pic is wrapped behind the side of the couch..he likes that corner so much cos he can tuck his head under the end of the couch and hide from us he thinks :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·



Here his is in his same corner about to hide from us again while he sleeps :lol:

he loves it there because the window is normally always open a bit, but then he has the hot air vent right beside him too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
racmoo said:
Oh he is so beautiful. And massive. I think I love him.
Do you think he might perhaps never grow into his ears. Bella is 8 months (67lbs) and has a WHOLE lot of growing to do if she is ever going to grow into her ears... or feet for that matter. I just dont think it's gonna happen.
thnx! I know if your pet is not fixed, it's head will continue to grow to it's full potential. I know in my case, his head should reach it's full size by the time he is 4 and it is the last part of the body to finish growing. Only way to know for sure is to wait and see tho :) With Diablo, I also massaged his ears while he was growing in order for them to hang flatter and not prick upwards. They kept switching back and forth between floppy and 'rose' (pricked upwards and out) but massaging the cartiledge made them grow and set floppy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
Wow, what a monster!! Are you still thinking of working him? I think you will need a smaller dog..LOL!!!

About his ears. I definitely think his head will grow into them. Rosco was the same way but around 12-18 months his head REALLY started getting wider. It continued to grow even more beyond that and up until almost 3 yrs yet at a much slower rate. I don't think you need to worry about him looking like GSP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lisa said:
Wow, what a monster? Are you still thinking of working him? I think you will need a smaller dog..LOL!!!

About his ears. I definitely think his head will grow into them. Rosco was the same way but around 12-18 months his head REALLY started getting wider. It continued to grow even more beyond that and up until almost 3 yrs yet at a much slower rate.
I was thinking just weightpulling / hangtime / agility / some basic bite work...bit of everything. Maybe do some IDT with him I'm thinking.

edit: I'd still like to bring him by the club though, hopefully soon. we can see what he's got in him :D

BTW, I'm adopting Maddie this week! (diablo and sarah's grand-Dam) She is retired from breeding now and needs a good home with lots of attention and since I work from home it's perfect. She's such a sucky bully! Sooooo laid back and silly I can't wait! I'm going to treat her like a princess in her final years. She's 8yrs now and pure johnson, so she may only have a couple yrs left as they fall apart much faster than hybrids/standards. I'm going to make sure she has the best retirement a dog can have <3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grand-Sire that he's doubled up on:

turns out as I'm looking at his ped(grand-sire Sultan's), that he is not Johnson/Scott mix but is mostly Johnson with about 1/3rd or so Margentina/Painter and some Sure-Grip on both of his sides. This must be where a lot of his drive came from. Margentina's Sergent Rock is in there too, pictured on this page > http://www.bulldoginformation.com/american-bulldog-types.html
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top