Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big day next Saturday when we pick up our new 9 week old female EB puppy and bring her home and introduce her to our 7 yr. old male EB. My wife, Janet and I would really like the initial introduction to go well as we both feel it will set the tone for their future realtionship. Any suggestions to make this go right? She's the cutie in the middle with the smile on her face.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
OMG she is adorable. I've heard that if you can bring home a blanket with her smell on it for your boy to get used to before you bring her home that may help. :D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hello there!

Read through this link
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=7134&highlight=kate

this is how I introduced my dog to our new family dog. Granted they were both older, but you can get some ideas on the introduction. Everything has gone great with our 2 and we have had no problems.

Just be careful with chews, toys, and bones with your older dog. We ended up just putting all the toys up and they dont' even miss them because they have each other to play with

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have never been in this situation so I don't have any advice, but can I just say what a cute puppy that is!! I hope you will be able to post more pictures when you get her.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kate, thanks for the link. We had something like that in mind but weren't sure about the details. We do intend to have them meet on neutral territory after some brief exercise and then walk them a little together before taking them home. The adult male, Spike, has been aggressive with previous male puppies to the point we gave one back to the breeder. He was raised with an older female that passed away last year They got along OK with the exception of some knock-down-dragout fights when he was around two. He got over it and they lived pretty cozy together after that. She was the instigator but Spike doesn't back down from anything which is why we're concerned.

·
Registered
223 Posts
we introduced our year and a half old female OEB to our new 4 month male EB with nothign done before since we didnt plan it. we jsut stopped by the shelter one day saw him and adopted him. I brought him into the kitchen and my DH brought our OEB in and she immediately peed on him, but since then they are best friends. 2 weeks and going strong!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tonights the night! We couldn't wait until tomorrow to pick her up so we're picking her up tonight. No sleep this weekend! We plan to have them meet at a park close to the house and let them get aquainted for awhile before bringing them home together. Hopefully, meeting off home territory with a little exercise and fun will get them off on the right foot. Will post an update this weekend and let you all know how it's going.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
EB's are suppose to be one of the best breeds to get along with other dogs. When we decided to add Molly to our family we took Bear to meet her first. We made sure we both held her while Bear was right there. To make sure he didn't have any jelousy issues right away.

When I brought her home I tried to let them introduce and work things out for themselves. I had the advise from a fella that raises GS for FIDELCO (seeing eye dogs). He said I needed to let them work things out for themselves and to not get in the way of that. Alpha needed to be Alpha. I did keep a very close eye because she was a pup and I wouldn't let anything go on that would hurt her. But I let them be themselves. I've never had any problems. They are best buds. There's alot of rough play but they have a great time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been almost a week now with the puppy, Lulu, in the house and things are still a little tense. The introduction at a neutral location went well and Spike basically showed a lot of interest at first and then went into ignore mode so we brought them home. On the third day, Lulu was walking past Spike while he was sleeping and he jumped up and bit her on the nose hard enough to leave two small scratches. A reaction that seems completely out of proportion considering he's 60 lbs and she's 9 wks old and 7 lbs. It scared her and us. Since then he's become more accustomed to her presence but refuses to play or interact with her no matter how submissive she is to him. He'll just walk away to his favorite corner. We NEVER have them together unless we're watching now and if Spike goes into his corner we gate it off so Lulu can't go there. We're really afraid he might hurt her. We're hoping time will make a difference. She wants desperately to interact with him but he just ignores her and leaves the area. Ever experiance anything like this? And, how did it work out? We don't want to have crate and seperate for the rest of their lives.
Hello. I'M LULU.

·
Registered
106 Posts
chief respond

yes i have .. when i first introduce my chief to my gf newf ... chief was so young that tuggs with walk away and ignore it ... it maybe cause she is so small but when she gets bigger the dog will interact and be more playful. a good way to kinda get him use to her is have your pup and older dog iget a food dish and make sure you are there holding your dog and have the puppy and the dog eat together make sure you try and keep your dog calm and if it growls or nip make sure to tell him no and if u keep doing this they will share the space also your pup if u get another dog should be okay with another dog eating with it this works for my puppie and he love to share food with my cat and he doesnt get mad when the rabit is by the food dish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts