Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to these boards and I'm here because I may be adopting an AB. I had a boxer for over 9 years and he recently passed away. He was my baby - the most loving, affectionate, adorable dog I ever had the privilege to know.

My friends knew how much more he was to me than "just a dog." To me a dog is family. It's a constant companion and best friend. Since I live alone, my dog was also a protector who made me feel safe and secure. He was a total marshmallow who loved people, but he had the innate ability to know when I was unsure of someone or felt threatened. He went from marshmallow to guard dog in 1 sec.

A friend of a friend breeds ABs and has offered to give me their 7 month old male. I know they love their dogs and treat them really well. They call this dog their "cuddle bug." He's a real sweetheart who likes to sleep in bed with them and be a lap dog. (My 80 pound boxer did the same thing!) They are only offering to give him to me is because they have his parents and want to maintain a small family so all the dogs get quality time. And they know how important it is to me to have a canine friend.

I've never met an AB. I've done lots of online research and have some questions.

1. How much exercise is enough? Is walking an AB enough or do they need to run and play a lot?
2. Do people mistake them for pit bulls?
3. Do they have any predispositions to specific health problems?
4. Will the dog bond with me even though he's been in another home for 7 months?
5. How temperature sensetive are they? I live in northern WI. I'd never just leave my dog outside, but do they do okay for short walks as long as it's not really really cold?
6. How are they with other dogs? I know this guy has been raised with his doggy family, but will he be ok with other dogs? (I'm having him neutered immediately if I take him in.)
7. How difficult is it to train ABs? I read they they can be stubborn and reluctant to obey?
8. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for helping me out.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
hello and welcome ill try to help you im far from an expert and my spelling sucks but here goses !

1) the more att; and walking run ect you can give the better they love to walk jump run play !

2) yes uneducatied people make this mistake time to time

3)some have skin /hips/eyes/ears/ and so on all dependes on there breeding and peds!good breeders good dog 98% of the time !

4)yes he will take to you like a fat kid to a smarty in time !

5)yes

6) yes bully's of anykind are known to be animale and dog agressife

7)you will need a ferm hand and a no bull attitude dont let him think hes the sh*t cause he will !

8)keep doing what your doing asking questions and resurch youll be fine you can never have too mutch info !

hope this helped you keep checking in here there are people that trani bully's that are members here and breeders as well that will help you too cheers post some pics if and when you get him !

regards
steve

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Orange said:
1. How much exercise is enough? Is walking an AB enough or do they need to run and play a lot?
2. Do people mistake them for pit bulls?
3. Do they have any predispositions to specific health problems?
4. Will the dog bond with me even though he's been in another home for 7 months?
5. How temperature sensetive are they? I live in northern WI. I'd never just leave my dog outside, but do they do okay for short walks as long as it's not really really cold?
6. How are they with other dogs? I know this guy has been raised with his doggy family, but will he be ok with other dogs? (I'm having him neutered immediately if I take him in.)
7. How difficult is it to train ABs? I read they they can be stubborn and reluctant to obey?
8. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for helping me out.

1. It depends on the dog. I usually walk mine twice a day for about half hour per time.
2. YES!! If you have a really Johnson type, not as much.
3. They can have health problems, depends on how well the breeder did their work, you can look more up on the net for this.
4. YES!! They are awesome dogs, after a few days, it will love you like you are the most important person in the world.
5. My Male HATES the heat, and extreme cold!!!! My female hates being even a little chilly, but loves the heat!!!
6. There is always the chance for dog aggression, Always expect it, and be happy if it doesn't happen!!
7. They are SO SMART!!!! Some go through a stubborn streak, and some are always hard. My experience is that these dogs are Very smart!!!
8. Just make sure you are prepared for Dog aggression. It is a horrible thing to deal with, if you aren't prepared. If you are going to be a bully owner, educate your self about BSL. Really do your homework and make sure you are ready for it.[/quote]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got Bailey, my female AB, when she was 8 months old. I had never had any type of Bully breed before, we have always had German Shepherds. Now, a year later, I cannot imagine not having one! I have found AB's to be extremely loyal, affectionate, goofy, fun, and very bonded to their owner(s). Bailey loves all visitors that we have to our house, especially kids, but I have no doubt that she would scare an intruder away - if by her loud barking alone. Of course getting any dog is not a decision to be taken lightly, but if you do your research and decide to go with a bully breed I think that you will be pleased!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts