Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an AB about a month ago, his name is lewie and he is about 10 weeks old. He is a very smart dog, I've only had him about three weeks now and he is just about house broken. The only thing that worries me is his bitting. He is constantly nipping when we play. He loves his tug o war rope but it seems like when I play with him he is always going for my hand, and when I just let him play himself, he sets the rope down in front of me and starts bitting and barking at me. So I pick up the rope and begin to play again, and there he goes right for my hand. He also likes to knock down my little nephew and nip at his face? How should I brake him of this habbit. Should I toss him in his create for a bit and let him out and give him a toy or what. I am a first time dog owner, and I am starting to think I may have made the wrong decision for my first dog!
Thank you in advance for any help
I want my dog to be a nice one.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
If you're giving him his toy, you're just telling him he gets what he wants for biting. As far as fixing it, I don't know. I know that with Atticus, if he ever mouthed us at all, we would "yip" like a dog. He doesn't bite at all now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
good luck. sorta a strong dog to get for your first one.as in mentally. there are people on here that can answer your question alot better then i can. good luck ab's can be great dogs.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
When Tora was a puppy (she is an AB also) everytime she would bite me I would say OUCH! then put her in a another room immediatly...You want to send the mesage you bite no more fun!!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
angie7349 said:
When Tora was a puppy (she is an AB also) everytime she would bite me I would say OUCH! then put her in a another room immediatly...You want to send the mesage you bite no more fun!!
This is a good one. I hardly remember all of the things we tried with Bella, but when we were fostering Norris (4 weeks old when we got him), we would just walk away from him (not saying a word) when he started getting nippy. I could hear his sighs of disappointment that his fun time was ended!! I'm not sure that he had completely figured it out that his biting was causing us to walk away from him, but I think he was starting to put the two events together.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I posted an answer to this question in the Training & Obedience section. Since it's in this section, from a Working Dogs perspective, your dog is exhibiting prey drive, which is good. You just have to direct it away from your hands and your little nephew. How old is the child ? If a 10 week old puppy is knocking him over, then you have a real little nephew or a big 10 week old dog. Maybe those two shouldn't be playing together.

From my experiences, if you haven't raised/trained a large strong assertive dog before, an American Bulldog is NOT the dog to begin with. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Brian

If you want the dog to be a normal house dog with no issues on who's boss,Don't play tug games. Scold him for biting you with a scruff shake until he squeeks(this is a sign of him saying "OK",submitting. Alot of the time when they are puppies when they bite I just bare the pain and jam(not hard)but firm and unpleasantly into there mouth and hold it there until they find biting and nipping an unpleasant pass time. kids are not the best trainers and puppies will be puppies. So start with never allowing the dog to jump up on ANYBODY. Stop this by getting friends to set the dog up for failure ie. when the dog jumps up hold its feet untill it wants to go, but dont let it. It doesnt hurt but it makes the dog think HMMM jump up = 30 seconds of unpleasantness= dont jump on anybody anymore. Spend the 40 bucks and enroll in a Ob class it can save years of torture. But DO get a grip on this problem because it can lead to major problems.TRUST ME a 10 week old pup is an easy fix but a aggressive adult isnt. Hope this helps
Elmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts