Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! We live in Colorado and just found your forum. We are a family of 8. My self, hubby, 2 gorgeous daughters, 14 year old male pit bull, 2 year old rescued chihuahua mix, 6 year old rat terrier, and just aquired 3 month old American bulldog/pit bull mix. Yes, we are a bit dog crazy. Anyway, here is my question. My husband is leaving for Iraq in a bit and we got the new puppy for a watch dog as our old pit is turning 14 and really can't do much anymore. We got the puppy, she is pure white, but not alibino. She has sum freckeling and black around her eyes and mouth. She is a typical puppy and has the typical razor sharp teeth of a puppy. We had her about a week and then started realizing that she may be deaf. We sort of hoped she was just younger than we thought and that time would change that. Well, she is now going on about 4 months, getting big, very lovable, but still completely deaf. We were a bit upset as we got her for a watch dog for our family. Anyway, my problem is that she has now bitten both of my daughters on the chin. Not trying to hurt them, just she gets worked up playing with the other dogs and being a puppy and all. Since she is deaf, she can't hear us yell or realize she is hurting us. Even the other dogs will give her warning growls, but they fall on deaf ears. We are working on hand signals and she seems to pick up stuff fast. I am just wondering if we should try to find her a better home due to her problem. I don't want an accident with my kids. She is so darned cute and so sweet, I just don't know if it is safe for her with little ones. My girls are both under the age of 7. Any advice?
Thanks,
Sonya

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sonya -

first of all - welcome to the forum :eek:) i wish i had some words of wisdom -- but unfortunately i don't.... the reason i am responding though - is to recommend that you post your situation again -- but title it "i have a deaf puppy -- need help training" -- and i'm positive you'll receive some advice....

good luck and please keep me posted...

sincerely,

Anne-Marie

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Hi Sonya...I have a male AB, named Rocket, that is partially deaf. We initially thought he was completely deaf, but as he got alittle older (got him at 13 weeks, he's now just over a year old), we realized he can hear SOME. It is hardest for him to hear when there's a lot of background noise. He is trained with hand signals and has done very well. I've been lucky in that he's VERY eager to please and is almost always watching me for any signals/commands. When he would play too rough with myself or my children (I have 4...youngest is 2, oldest is 14) we would immediately stop playing, get up and walk away...or, at the very least, turn our backs to him. This helped him learn what behaviors were and were not acceptable. My trainer also mentioned vibrating collars that you can use...you can use them to help the dog know when you are calling him/her or to correct any negative behavior. I haven't felt the need for one of these, but as I said, he's not COMPLETELY deaf.

I won't lie...it's hard work training a deaf puppy. Training a puupy in itself is hard...adding another complication just makes it more so. I would suggest REALLY REALLY researching some things, and even talking to a trainer before you make your decision. I'm home all day with my kids, so I was able to spend LOTS of time working with Rocket. He's a GREAT dog...very gentle with my kids, obedient and a total sweetheart. We're taking some private obedience classes and are preparing to take the Canine Good Citizen test, so he can become a therapy dog. So, it's not impossible, just a little more challenging!

ETA: here's a link to a great website about deaf dogs: http://www.deafdogs.org/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts