Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group,

I have just signed up for this group so decided to just start right away :lol: . So I finally am. I have 3 ( in 2 days 4 ) American Bulldogs and 2 German Shepherds ( Yukon, which some may have met at the Grantville show last year and Skyler . I have been intrigued by the AB for many years but always wanted to find the one that would be a perfect dog for me and my family. Being a trainer in PA ( Upper Bucks Working DOgs of PA ) I wanted a dog with tons of ability and function. Even if it failed they still will be apart of our home and lives. So then I met Dealer a 14 month old True Grit Pup ( Betty & Zeus ). Taking after his father in more ways then one . I jump on it when the chance came around. He is a wonderful dog. Great work ethic ( gets in his bully moods making it even more fun to work with ), has a great personality and looks to die for. Dealer and I are working towards his PDC thru PSA in July. He has been also working on his weight-pulling( loving every minute of it ) and also trying to cert. him for search and rescue. Boy this boy has a nose on him Some Shepherds would be jealous . A huge thanks goes out to Scott Tobin for this wonderful dog. I could not be happier with him
Next is Know-No a 24 week old Major Pain & Mi-Mi pup and what a fire cracker she is. Pisses fire and drinks vinegar No fear, no excuses, all drive ( full of prey and defense) and Know-No Pain ( like her name says ) She is so full of herself. Making sure everyone gets a taste of her. No one walks past her with out getting a shirt pulled, pants pulled or just come over for some sleep time on the couch with mom ( ME ) There is no word to describe her but ''sound'' . An huge thanks goes out to Paul and Janet for KNow NO.
Then we have Cyrus. Can not complain one bit about this soon to become man. Every minute with him...............you realize how wonderful the AB breed is. He came back from HOD with (2) 1st places in his class and the winner of the driviest puppy. He is absolutly beautiful with great brindle collar and GREAT HEAD SHAPE!!! :D

Bindi is a female coming out of South Dakota. Her drive here is going to be fun, but she has been long awaited for us trainers and AB owners to come with a great chance to find a great dog. This girl has all the drive in the world and will be competed to all levels. I am excited about her. We will see 2 days till she comes. Well actually 45 hours and counting :wink:
I Have attached pictures of them below. Hope you enjoy them

Our German Shepherd Yukon

Dealer our True Grit Male

Cyrus at 21 weeks old

Know NO at 24 weeks old

Our new comer Bindi!!! 2 more days to go!!! :D :D

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Nice to see you here, I've heard ALOT about your Cyrus pup, somebody(thom) is in love with him :lol:

All of your dogs are absolutely beautiful!!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Nice to see you here, I've heard ALOT about your Cyrus pup, somebody(thom) is in love with him :lol:
I covet thy neighbors dog. Big time.

Its great to see you here dealer. You'll have to post the training videos here too. I'll be posting plenty of pics :p

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Yes Thom, with Loki!! She is a great dog!! I owe her one, she is the first Bi-eyed dog that did not make me turn my back and run :lol: :lol: :lol:
Something about bi-eyes :scratch:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
and also trying to cert. him for search and rescue. Boy this boy has a nose on him Some Shepherds would be jealous .
How have you found training an AB in Search and Rescue? Are training methods any different for an AB as opposed to a more common S&R breed? I have always been interested in S&R. I'd like to see if Loki could have potential in it. She always has her nose buried in the ground and she is always sniffing the air catching scents. I know that doesnt necessarily mean anything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/quote]How have you found training an AB in Search and Rescue? Are training methods any different for an AB as opposed to a more common S&R breed? I have always been interested in S&R. I'd like to see if Loki could have potential in it. She always has her nose buried in the ground and she is always sniffing the air catching scents. I know that doesnt necessarily mean anything
Here is what I have noticed:
Shepherds are herders, instinct is to find and gather. Bulldogs have well......have a instinct to be plainly be bullies. So they seem to get distracted more easily. But ARE trainable in the SAR field. I have found the AB's who have a extremely high food drive is awesome at it. They have the drive to please but the food drive helps to keep noses down and also controls the other drives. Hope this makes sense. Our Cyrus absolutly stinks at even puppy circles. He has awesome food drive, this boy could eat a horse, but his prey is so high that he can be searching for food, and if he sees a bug crawling he stops and chases the bug LOL . Dealer has controlable drives, he has prey but it is focused. Which helps alot. They also have to have a willingness to please. And retrieve instinct. It is really hard to explain in writing. I would try her and see how she does. Every dog is different mentally and work ethicly. You may be suprized.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Welcome to the board! It's always great to see more working people popping in!!! I look forward to seeing more pics and videos of your dogs!!!

\:D/

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Loki seems to have a high food drive yet if she is focused on something such as watching a stranger, she wont budge even for a treat. I don't know, we'll talk this weekend. :p I just want to get into whatever she will do well at. Protection, Search and Rescue, whatever.

So you'll have Bindi for Saturday? I'm looking forward to meeting her. She is nice looking girl!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sound fair to me.... lets try her. Saturday mornings at 8:30 or 9 am.
I love people who try different options with their dogs. They were bred to work so let them work. I throw my hat off to you!!! Not as a buisness trainer but a dog love and a working dog lover!!!!!

Yes Bindi is going to be there on Saturday!! She is supposed to be a well round, stable, AWESOME tempermented animal. I am really excited about her!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts