1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Torco is a good boy and learning so quickly! Why do you say his name before giving him stationary commands? Is it because you have two dogs in the house, and there will be times when you want only one dog to do something? (I've always learned that the dog's name should only be used when giving a moving command such as "heel" and "come." Is that incorrect?)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were taught to say their name before any command so that they will know you are speaking to them. It also helps to get their attention so they are more likely to get the command right the first time. It definitely helps with 2 dogs in the house, and I've also noticed that it's made a difference when we're out training them with distractions around. :)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
There are way too many opinions on the "right" way to train a dog! I almost always use Bella's name because she is such an easily distracted dog.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I can't believe how big he has gotten. He is learning really well. He is as cute as always.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
awww I can't watch it because it says the download limit has been reached??? :(

·
Registered
807 Posts
Kate said:
awww I can't watch it because it says the download limit has been reached??? :(
Aw that sucks, I wish I had it on my work computer so I could host it some where else.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I can't watch it because it keeps saying an error has occurred.

I don't agree with using a dogs name when doing formal obedience though. When doing obedience your dog should ALREADY be paying attention to you. I give one command only with no name and if they don't respond or are slow to do it they get corrrected. (your dog probably isn't old enough for corrections though). I will actually do little things to try and set them up for being corrected for not paying attention. For example if my dog is in a long down and is looking around and not at me, THATS when I call them. I don't wait for them to look at me. If they are slow to come to me because they weren't paying attention, they get popped. Sounds mean but thats one way to get dogs to pay attention to you and that's how you get nice fast/crisp obedience. :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Lisa said:
I can't watch it because it keeps saying an error has occurred.

I don't agree with using a dogs name when doing formal obedience though. When doing obedience your dog should ALREADY be paying attention to you. I give one command only with no name and if they don't respond or are slow to do it they get corrrected. (your dog probably isn't old enough for corrections though). I will actually do little things to try and set them up for being corrected for not paying attention. For example if my dog is in a long down and is looking around and not at me, THATS when I call them. I don't wait for them to look at me. If they are slow to come to me because they weren't paying attention, they get popped. Sounds mean but thats one way to get dogs to pay attention to you and that's how you get nice fast/crisp obedience. :D
As he gets older he will be doing commands with a simple hand signal and no verbal command. But he is 16 weeks old and we are working on keeping him focused on us. We usally have his full attention, and he is very responsive. If you just start barking out commands to a puppy and they dont know you are talking to them YOU are setting them up to fail. That is not fair to the dog. You always want to help put them in a position to suceed. Part of having a good dog work hard for you is to keep it fun, and let them have fun. Popping the dog is something that chassis gets all the time. That is not a problem. Torco is still young and we are simply following the instructions we have been given to us by our trainner. In the end though we all hope to get the same result. :wink:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Red, I definitely agree with no corrections on a puppy!!! Keep it fun for sure!! I was just trying to explain ways of getting a dog to pay attention without having to use its name. Why will you be moving to the hand signals? Did your trainer recommend that?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Lisa said:
Red, I definitely agree with no corrections on a puppy!!! Keep it fun for sure!! I was just trying to explain ways of getting a dog to pay attention without having to use its name. Why will you be moving to the hand signals? Did your trainer recommend that?
I should have wrote that alittle different. I would like to be able to only use a hand signal. It always comes in handy when your talking on the phone and one of your dogs is doing something they shouldnt be. Just to show off. Its just something Im impressed with when I see it and would like Torco to obey that well.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Oh ok. I didn't think your trainer would recommend that. Are you still training with Butch Cappel?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Lisa said:
Oh ok. I didn't think your trainer would recommend that. Are you still training with Butch Cappel?
No that is not something he was recommending but, I have seen him do with his personal dogs, just like a down command or sit. Not in a working situation at all. Yes we are their working all the time. We have Chassis boarding out their right now. Getting some one on one OB with Butch. But she did make us happy this last weekend. She has been watching other dogs working now for a few weeks and finally started to show intrest in hitting the puppy sleve. We tried to get her to do it the first few times out and everything was distracting her. Now she is really starting to get it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Bremner53 said:
He is so darn cute!!!!

Do you think his ears are going to stand up??
One stands up all the time. The other does it off and on. Yeah I think they are going to be out of control. I guess the link is working again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts