Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Newbie here :) Just had a question ok maybe 2.

Quick story- I adopted the little booger from a shelter about 3 months ago. Up until recently, he's been quiet. Here are my questions:

One- My dog will be quiet playing with his toys or resting, then all of a sudden will start barking at me or my boyfriend (mostly me, mostly). Or if we're on the phone, he'll start howling, then barking up a storm. I tell him STOP BARKING!, but he keeps it up. Is he just doing this for the attention? I'm always playing with him when I'm home. If i'm playing on my computer, he'll be barking. So I give him his toys, he keeps at it. THen I'll walk away, and he shuts up. then he'll start again. What's good to use on him to stop him from constantly barking?

2nd- He loves to nip/bite when playing, but he'll do this to anyone. We tell him to stop and bop him on the nose, but again he keeps at it. He's about 1-2 years old, he should be outgrown of this nipping stage.

Help!
thanks!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've been very lucky to not have a barking problem with Bogart so I don't have any advice for that. As far as the biting-have you tried "yelping" when he does it? If he nips at you then make a loud yelp sound and pull your hand away. Ignore him for a little while.

By the way, cute dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i'll give that a shot. when my boyfriend plays with him, thats when he bites, and tugs on his hand, like he's trying to take it! *L*

how old is bogart? hes a cutie!

ok bedtime i'm shot!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Cute dog welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
welcome! :) Your baby is simply adorable! :D thanks so much for adopting!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
harleysmom said:
how old is bogart? hes a cutie!
Thanks! He's about 2 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Very cute dog! When he barks, do you usually stop the barking by giving him attention? If so, that may be making it worse. Try to only give him attention when he is being good. It's much easier said than done though. Also, I'm not the best person for advice. I've got quite the problem myself. My dogs bark at the fence and try to get their hommies from next door to come over. I would go out and say "that's enough" and then if they were quiet for like 30 seconds, I would say "come" and give them a treat. I thought I was a genious until I got outsmarted by my dog! #-o Now Heidi runs outside and barks once. Then she listens very carefully for footsteps. If she doesn't hear footsteps, she will grab anything valuable and run to where I'm at to tease me with it. I used to then jump up and grab a treat and say, "want to trade"? If you chase her, you will never get it back. Anyways, Heidi has done a really good job of training me. Finally I realized what a moron I was being. Now when she grabs something, I just ignore her. After she realizes she's not getting my attention that way, she usually leaves it. Then when she settles down, I go over and give her affection. That way she learns that she gets attention when she is being mellow. It seems to be working for now. Good luck though, barking can be so annoying!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks :) thats why i fell in love with the little mush, he's such a handsome devil! *L*

like right now, i'm sitting here, and he's staring at me. then he started to bark - he's a loud little guy! *L* so i took him outside, but he wouldnt come to me right away, he knows hes in trouble. i tell him its ok, and get him to come over. then i got him outside.

now hes quiet, i gave him his kong ball w/peanut butter and told him good boy. he just loves to play all the time. as soon as the suns up he's ready to go! *L*

·
Registered
421 Posts
harleysmom said:
thanks :) thats why i fell in love with the little mush, he's such a handsome devil! *L*

like right now, i'm sitting here, and he's staring at me. then he started to bark - he's a loud little guy! *L* so i took him outside, but he wouldnt come to me right away, he knows hes in trouble. i tell him its ok, and get him to come over. then i got him outside.

now hes quiet, i gave him his kong ball w/peanut butter and told him good boy. he just loves to play all the time. as soon as the suns up he's ready to go! *L*

hahah thats a great pic!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i brought him home, my boyfriend's like, "i hate pit bulls!" he does not have one mean bone in his body. he's all mush! *L* so i made that up in photoshop :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts