Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Scott and I have recently adopted a 3 year old, male American Bulldog. I got Debo from a family that had twin babies and they were unable to properly care for Debo. The family was considering giving him up to the local dog pound, and I knew that Debo did not deserve this ( I knew the family and Debo for around 6 months prior to this). After doing some research on the breed and buying him good food, toys, etc., I went to the house, gave him a bath, and took him home with me.

After three weeks, I can't begin to explain how awesome Debo is. He is very friendly, respectful, and hungry for attention. I want to take care of him to the best of my ability and was hoping that I could get some help from this forum. I have a few questions for AB owners:

1. From my research, I believe Debo is a Scott/performance AB. Slim and fit, he weighs in at 76 pounds. Is this an average, healthy weight for a three year old?

2. I walk him for 60-90 minutes a day, plus play time. Play time involves tug o' war with rope and tire toys (he loves this) and playing with soccer and tennis balls. How much exercise would you recommend?

3. Veterinary choices: I chose a local vet based on Internet reviews and location (North Hollywood, CA). I was a little dissapointed with the examination. The Vet checked his paws, teeth, and listened to his breathing/heart rate. That was it. The Vet seemed a little quick and rushed, considering Debo had a few minor rashes/hot spots that he didn't even notice until I mentioned it to him. How do you find a great Vet? Any recommendations for North Hollywood/Studio City/Sherman Oaks, California areas?

I know this is a lot to ask for a first post, so I will apologize in advance. I am so happy to have such a great dog in my life. I hope all of you understand :)

Scott

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
as for finding a vet
id go to a local dog park(leave debo at home) and ask people for recomendation
also can go to petsmart or a Petco and ask pet owners

just an idea :D

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Sounds like Debo has found an awesome home with you! I'm on the other side of the country from you, so no advice on vets, but I know we have several members from CA, so hopefully they will chime in.

Oh...and we MUST have pics...we LOVE pics around here!

Welcome to the board!!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
mom to many said:
Sounds like Debo has found an awesome home with you! I'm on the other side of the country from you, so no advice on vets, but I know we have several members from CA, so hopefully they will chime in.

Oh...and we MUST have pics...we LOVE pics around here!

Welcome to the board!!
DITTO.... sounds like you really love this guy!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I love his name! We kicked around the name Debo for our boy too. :D Welcome to the forum. we need pics please. :wink:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
1. Yes, sounds like a good weight , picture of him would help but if he looks healthy to you then all is good.

2. Exercise...........lol A tired bully is a good bully. Sounds like you are on the right track and giving lots of exercise. I once read that three hours a day of exercise is needed for bully breeds.Myself we go for walks unless it is to hot then we play inside.I also play tug every day and fetch both of which are Busters favorite games.My husband rough houses with him for a good half hour as well.Whatever makes them tired and happy..........lol

3. Finding a good vet can be hard.Just keep going till you find one you like and one that takes there time with you and your dog.There are others on here from your area so maybe they can help you find a good one.

BTW, Congrats on your new addition :D That was great of you to take him in and giving him a wonderful home.
And like the others said we love pictures :D OH YEA, Welcome to the forum hope to see you around here often :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new AB. Stick around and you will find all the answers you need on this board. There are some very nice informative people on here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
debo said:
Hello everyone,

My name is Scott and I have recently adopted a 3 year old, male American Bulldog. I got Debo from a family that had twin babies and they were unable to properly care for Debo. The family was considering giving him up to the local dog pound, and I knew that Debo did not deserve this ( I knew the family and Debo for around 6 months prior to this). After doing some research on the breed and buying him good food, toys, etc., I went to the house, gave him a bath, and took him home with me.

After three weeks, I can't begin to explain how awesome Debo is. He is very friendly, respectful, and hungry for attention. I want to take care of him to the best of my ability and was hoping that I could get some help from this forum. I have a few questions for AB owners:

1. From my research, I believe Debo is a Scott/performance AB. Slim and fit, he weighs in at 76 pounds. Is this an average, healthy weight for a three year old?

2. I walk him for 60-90 minutes a day, plus play time. Play time involves tug o' war with rope and tire toys (he loves this) and playing with soccer and tennis balls. How much exercise would you recommend?

3. Veterinary choices: I chose a local vet based on Internet reviews and location (North Hollywood, CA). I was a little dissapointed with the examination. The Vet checked his paws, teeth, and listened to his breathing/heart rate. That was it. The Vet seemed a little quick and rushed, considering Debo had a few minor rashes/hot spots that he didn't even notice until I mentioned it to him. How do you find a great Vet? Any recommendations for North Hollywood/Studio City/Sherman Oaks, California areas?

I know this is a lot to ask for a first post, so I will apologize in advance. I am so happy to have such a great dog in my life. I hope all of you understand :)

Scott
Hi, I adopted an AB almost 3 years ago, and I can tell you that you will never get another breed. They are addicting. He sounds like he is on the small side of normal, but still fine. Males can go anywhere between 65-120 lbs, and Scott types are smaller (that's what I have too). Ab's love their exercise and he will tell you when he is tired. Just feed him a little more than usual if he is getting 90 minutes of exercise a day. The vet thing is tough, I've always found that older vets seem to take their time more than someone fresh out of college. Experience counts, and they have seen it all. They don't need to cram in 50 visits a day to pay student loans etc. The rash and hot-spot thing seems to go with the territory with an AB. Mine got better after we started giving him fish oil pills. I hope I've helped a little bit.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the breed of bull dogs. They are great dogs, I too have an AB (Johnson type) and I love him to death. I never wanted another large dog but I am so glad he found me. He's wonderful! A gentle giant. You will find a lot of great things out about him and the breed. Do hang around, and oh do post photos we love photos here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a few pics. I wish the quality was better, but at least everyone can see him.
By the way, is pink around the eyes and mouth usual or unusual?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
congratulations!!!

he's beautiful....our AB has pink around her eyes...not sure how normal it is but they don't give her any problems....

i take both our AB and EB to Dr. Tina Chang in Encino... she's very friendly and very thorough...almost too thorough, they want to run lots of tests if they THINK something may be wrong, which is good but very pricey....

i don't have her number handy, but 411 will have it....

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
debo said:
Here are a few pics. I wish the quality was better, but at least everyone can see him.
By the way, is pink around the eyes and mouth usual or unusual?

He is a handsome boy :D He Looks great
Buster has some black around his eyes but mostly pink his lips are the same
From my understanding to show the dog they need the black "eyeliner" around the eyes and mouth.
I could be wrong on this as I don't know a thing about showing but I am sure someone else here will know for sure.
Again good luck with him he is adorable

·
Registered
320 Posts
OMG....he is SUPER cute!!! I agree, the best references to find a great vet come from word of mouth. Definetly go check out your local dog park. There also could possibly be an American Bulldog group of some sort in, or by your area, and you could give them a call, and I'm sure they would be happy to recommend a vet to you!!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts