Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup nips at everyone and he also tries to pull up my carpet. If you yell NO he jumps up and grawls, and barks. I bought him for my daughter, but she doesn't like to play with him because she thinks he's biting her. He's gotten to the point that he doesn't listen at all. What am I doing wrong? I need a lil help here.

thank Tim

·
Registered
99 Posts
babyboy30116 said:
My pup nips at everyone and he also tries to pull up my carpet. If you yell NO he jumps up and grawls, and barks. I bought him for my daughter, but she doesn't like to play with him because she thinks he's biting her. He's gotten to the point that he doesn't listen at all. What am I doing wrong? I need a lil help here.

thank Tim
Most pups will go through the same thing when you first get them. How long have you had your pup for? How old is he?

Have you ever seen pups playing together? They nip each other and play pretty rough for cute little things, so this is natural behaviour for your pup. He/she sees you guys as the rest of the pack, so is just doing what comes natural.

I've had my pup for about a week a she is already hardly nipping at all.

You have to be consistant(like everything with dogs) and make sure you get over the top of him/her and say "no" in a very strong deep voice. Trainers often teach people to use the sound "BAH" really loud and deep, as it mimics a growl. Try not to get down low, don't sit down with your dog and give him an opportunity to nip and be on the same level. Continue to do it every time your dog nips, even if it means over and over again - then leave your dog alone if it goes on and on for too long.

By him jumping up and barking, he doesn't recognise that you are angry with him. So this means establishing that you are "above" him in the pecking order and having him understand that you don't accept that behaviour. Along with this, it is also important that you reward him when he does start listening - positive reinforcement is very important. Reward him with a little dog treat and lots of affection.

If you intend on this being your daughters dog, then it is important that she also does all of this. It is easy for you to fix the problem with yourself, but then if she shows fear, your dog will play on that and continue to show this behaviour toward her.

The same goes with the carpet, these things don't fix themselves straight away, it takes time, patience and persistance. Do the same thing, get over him and tell him no.

Some people will disagree but I also give mine a little tap on the nose - just enough to let them know it's not a good touch.

Are you giving him any other training at all? This will show the dog to respect and obey you. Simple things like sit, stay etc. If not, take him to puppy training and read some of the posts on this forum.

This combined with your pup growing up a little should solve the problem. I'd imagine that after a week of continual reinforcement you will see imporvement, after 3 it should be nearly fixed.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
You can also say ouch loud and stuff a toy in his mouth, it works and your kid can do this also, when he jumps up cross your arms turn your back and don't look at him, thats importent do not look at him. It will take about a week and he'll stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.