Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some issues with my dog (Ruckus) trying to nip at my face while i am bent over petting him. I know he is doing it to play. I have just about got him broke from play biting my hands, but i can't get him to stop jumping at my face. He hasn't made contact yet. I'm hoping to get him to stop before it does happen. He also does it if he is trying to lick me. I really worry about this because of kids wanting to pet him. So usually when i let people pet him i keep him distracted by keeping a hand in front of his mouth. Maybe not the best thing, but i don't want some kid freak out because he felt teeth while my dog was slobbering on him... Ya know...

He is a year old... I got him from a friend who lived in the city and kept him crated most of the time, which is why i offered to take him off his hands. Anyway, he also played pretty rough with him. So, i expect him to be like this. I don't see it being too big of a deal with me. I just worry about all those Bully haters. He is very friendly and loves attention from anyone. probably because of him being crated up for so much of his life. Anyone know anything that might help me out. I know it will take time... due to his past.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Do you make him sit before you pet him? If not, teach him that. That will keep him from jumping up while you pet him and also he'll eventually learn that he gets praised for sitting and not before.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Our bully used to do the same. She just got so excited and would lick and nip. she doesnt do it anymore, i guess she grew out of it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
When my dogs were young I taught them bite inhibition by stopping play when they mouthed. End of fun is a good teacher. I have to admit there were times when Yoshi was so deep into puppy crazy that I'd literally hold him at arm's length while he carried on like a tasmanian devil.

Paula

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i make him sit first, but once he sees me over the top of him, he wants to jump and lick and nip. The jumping up has been hard to get him to stop also. His very well behaved. He is just used to playing with someone rough.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Tora's aunt trains K-9 assistance dogs and one of the commands that she uses is "Easy". "Easy" is a wonderful command but it is a fairly difficult one to train. When Tora is about to greet children the 1st thing I do is make her "Sit" after a sit I let the kids pet her. I will release her from the "Sit" and tell her "Easy" and she plays softly. The way to teach it is all about timing, when you see him playing softly tell him good "Easy" and praise him lavishly!!! It will take time, this command difficult bc you have to catch him behaving the way that you want him to........I also say "NAAAH" when she starts to do something that I do not approve of. This is a good suppliment for me when she starts to play too rough. I like to play rough with her but I also don't want a dog that hurts children, or unsuspecting adults (jumping etc)I hope that this helps it is a hard one to communicate across the net.

Edit to say when he starts to nip I say "No" or Ouch whatever you preffer then ignore him...Tora quickly learned that if her mouth touchs me no more play time....I would put her in the bathroom for a few mintues bc you don't want to make their crates a punishment tool

·
Registered
335 Posts
davidryan said:
I'm having some issues with my dog (Ruckus) trying to nip at my face while i am bent over petting him. ...
My AB BusStop does the same thing. Some times she just bumps my face - sometimes she licks it and sometimes she bites it. She seems to be attempting to gauge something.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My AB used to do that too. He still gets that way if he is really exited, only he does remember not to nip now. Instead he has become more of a head-butter. He only does this to me, probably because he knows I'm the only one he is allowed to roughouse with. Easy is a good command and he does know it very well. It's probably not a good idea to bend over a really wound up bully, they have "cement heads" and they aren't going to be on the losing end of that collision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts