Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheila's nipping is getting out of control. We have tried everything I know and have read here and elsewhere. You ignore she jumps you from behind, grab her by the collar and tell her a firm deep NOOOOOO works for seconds, putting her in a dark lonely place with no toys, works for a few minutes after release. It is really getting down right annoying. I believe it is all in play even though sometimes she growls when she has her tantrums. I figure if she wanted to, even at 6 months she could break skin if she really meant to as the can sure as hell hang good from her spring pole. But I am at my wits end. Worst part is when we go to puppy class she is the best behaved, most obedient dog in the class!!!!!!! Am I not using enough treats??? Should I carry treats with me at all times and lure her away when she starts jumping and nipping????? I also read somewhere that if your dog nips at you, you should ignore it for a few days. It does not specify if it means only affection or affection and play???? Do you just feed, exercise, discipline and train your dog and ignore her at all other times??????? I feed her by hand which gets her attention while eating, and obeys all her commands quickly, stay, sit, down, roll, bed, catch, fetch and a few more, but once the food is done its like she forgot everything!!!!!!!! The nipping is starting to concern me because she is just at 6 months now, and I am hoping it is just a phase she is going through, cuz she is getting mighty strong quickly. ANY OTHER TIPS or advice I am open to, just don't know what to do anymore when she gets like this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We're still working on this with Max too. What seems to work best is to almost always have a treat. So I have been spending the last 2 days with a treat in my hand whenever I'm around him pretty much, and it seems to be working so far. I just give him little pieces when he's being 'good'...so he seems to work a bit harder so that he can get the treats.

At training yesterday our trainer said that a bit of mouthing is okay because it teaches them more bite inhibition (like they were learning when they were with their litter mates, and mom). She says that if they don't have a feel for human skin at all that's when real bite problems can happen. She says that they are just learning, and they have to learn through experience. She doesn't condone encouraging them to mouth, but to allow them at times. I kind of found this odd at first, but the more I thought about it....it kinda does make sense.

My last dog before Max was THE worst nipper ever. I got him when he was 5 months old from a shelter, and he would actually rip my clothes CONSTANTLY, and he was VERY persistent. I thought that dog would never grow out of it, and he used to drive me absolutely crazy! I tried EVERYTHING with him, but I was always very persistent and consistent to get him to stop....and then one day he just gave it up (I never thought he would, LOL). So there is a light at the end of the tunnel! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
I know this may sound silly, but when she nips you do you yell "ouch" at her. When mine do something in play that hurts, I yell "ouch, that hurts" and they will back off real quick. They do not want to hurt you they just want to play. I also will play with Clara's mouth. She will go to yawn when I am petting her and I will wiggle my fingers inside her mouth and say "alligator mouth" and chuckle at her. It is all in play but it teaches her to be gentle when my hand is in her mouth. :wink:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Keep doing what your doing, each time your crate her, do it a little longer than the last time, start for 5 min. and add 5 more min each time you have to put her there. don't worry shes just testing you limits, She'll grow out of it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I hope she grows out of it!! Cuz tell you what it hurts sometimes when she gets you just in the right spot. Yeah we have tried the ouch that hurts and she just looks at you and if excited nips again. Back to the drawing board I guess.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Good luck. We are still working on this with Deuce and it seems like it will never end. We had a hard time b/c of his leg problems, it really bothered him. Then after his surgery he couldn't be out b/c he would get hyper and hurt himself. So we have just had to start over in the past month and it has been a long month. He doesn't break the skin but if I say ouch he just looks and me and then starts again. I guess I should try the treats, he will do anything for food. Good luck, hope we both see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I would still work on what your doing and all of the above suggestions. I know this may sound a bit strange but when she starts up with the nipping spray some Bitter Apple or something Extra Spicy on your fingers. And maybe that may help curb the nipping as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My best idea, other than the "ouch yell", would be to show your pup how much it hurts! Sounds mean I know, but it REALLY works!!! When my pup Sasha was younger and in the nipping stage, we tried everything and nothing helped! One day, I was fed up and called our breeder to ask for help... Here is what he said: He told me to let her nip me once, and then correct it right away. The way to correct it is to fold the lip into the mouth and press HARD down onto the teeth. Keep applying pressure until puppy yelps! If the pup doesn't yelp, he did not learn the lesson that his teeth hurt!!! Sounds mean, but it works!!! Try it and see!! We had to do this maybe 2 or 3 times, and then Sasha was cured of the nipping at hands thing!!!!!! Now, she doesn't nip anymore, but has a hard time to "give" an object when she decides it's hers!! I use the same technique to get her to open her mouth when a simple "give" doesn't work!! Hope all this helps, and keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I myself always YELL ouch and it surprises the heck out of Buster and he stops on the spot.The thing is being LOUD and FIRM.It seems to upset / startle him .

·
Registered
243 Posts
A friend of mine who's family has owned 6 EBs told me about this one way in dealing with nipping. It's kind of extreme, but it worked wonders for my little guy. When you are playing with your pup and he nips at you, first yell "OUCH!" Then grab one of his/her front paws and bite down just hard enough to make them squeal a little bit. Then give the dog a fierce growl and then just simply walk away. Now when I play with my dog he will not dare bite down. If one of my fingers accidentally gets into his mouth, he keeps it open until I pull the finger out. I'm sure most people wouldn't accept this kind of advice, but if you're running out of ideas, might be a good option.

·
Registered
932 Posts
i always say ouch and pretend to cry.... he then feels really bad about it and licks me better!

it has almost completely stopped now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts