Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a problem with my 7 month old 'Staffy', whilst he tends to eat okay He doesn't seem to be drinking knowhere near enough water less than a 1/4 of a bowl a day, is there maybe something else that I can try? or is this normal? Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Guy

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Canned food is like 80% water (I think that's what I read). He's getting a lot of water from that. Will he chomp on ice cubes - that may be a way to get more water in him, if you're worried he's getting dehydrated.

If you're considering changing his diet at any point, check out the food thread at the top of the health & exercise thread. There's lots of good info there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Maybe your tap water tastes funny,do they put alot of Flouride in it in Ireland?

Does he drink from other places?

Both mine tend to jump in our local stream on the way home from walkies or pick horrible looking muddy puddles over the park rather than drink from their water bowls :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard there is a bit of flouride in the water over here, but that said it does taste (to me anyway!) okay (They make bottled Ballygowan water in this town) also the lad that lives next door to me has a labrador retriever and he drinks gallons of water. The weather is stifling over here at the moment and I am getting quite concerned for him I've taken to splashing the water up at his face, still no joy. Would it be advisable to add a little diluted fruit juice to his water? or is there something else that I can try? many thanks again for your advice.

Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
When I was having a problem with my cat not drinking enough water, the vet told me to put a little salt on her food to encourage her to drink more water. You might also try mixing some dry food with his wet food and let it soften before giving it to him to eat. Dry food makes them more thirsty which may be why the Lab drinks so much water. Another thought, is try diluting his canned food with water and see if he will lap it up. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My veterinarian say that a dog must drink 100 millilitre per 10 kilogram (22 lbs)....
You can soak food in water, than your dog get aditional fluid!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.