Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just to find out everyones opinion. I was reading a reply from Allamericanpup, where it was stated that(and forgive me if it's alittle off) people say that they want a puppy, so a litter is bred, then when the dogs are old enough to go to homes, the people change their minds, and do not take them. This is how they end up in shelters.

What I am curious about is-if the puppies are free, doesn't this make it easy for people to give them up and they end up in shelters? If the pups are $1000and up, not as many of these dogs end up in shelters?Due to the fact you pay an arm and a leg, you don't give up that easily.

But then on the other hand, do people tend to breed their pups more if they had costed mega bucks?

Just curious as what you think. I personally do not understand that millions of pits are showing up in shelters, when I see the prices of them in the Bargain Trader, or newspapers so high.

I know I paid a ton for Dixie, and I wouldn't give her up even if she were blind and deaf. Trying to find a pattern here.

This is pure speculation wanted.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
There are lots of reasons people give up their dogs. Even though they may have spent an arm and a leg on their puppy, if they're spending an arm and a leg at the vet because it is sick all the time, or if they're spending all their time ripping out their hair because they have no idea how to train/socialize/etc. their pit bull, giving the puppy up seems to balance out the initial cost.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
how much a puppy costs means diddly squat

take this dog for example, bought for $3400 and then discarded like yesterdays trash

n American Staffordshire. He was purchased for $3400 from a "Big Name" pit bull breeder who sold him strictly as a breeding dog.

Gotti was abandoned in an Arizona apartment, along with two female dogs. One had already died when they were saved.

Gotti is 55 lbs, short and wide, and loves people. He is great with female dogs and loves kids. He has begun training in weight pull. Gotti just wants someone to love.

http://www.workingpitbull.com/availabledogs.htm

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
There are too many people out there that money is not an issue. So they can spend whatever they want on animals and then not take care of them or take them to a shelter or dump them. Of course others are tight on money and might still pay high prices but just because the dog cost a lot doesn't mean they will take care of it like they should. I agree with Bella also if they dog wasn't from a good breeder then vet bills could cost even more then the dog cost and it could start adding up. There are alot of reasons why even dogs that go for alot of money can end up in shelters.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see that, as w/ my peke and his skin problems.....which we have found NOT to be skin problems per say, it is a type of mental retardation, self mutilation. Psychotropic drugs do not even help. Petland, $600.00 clearance because of his age! So yes, I can see what Bella is saying.I have spen thousands on this dog, yet he continues to suffer, but a 12 year olds heart is in the way of putting him down! Last night I swear his leg was falling off. Poor thing!

And I cannot believe those beautiful dogs were left abandoned, such a shame! I guess what you pay doesn't really matter to some people, as for Dix, if she were free, blind, deaf and walked backwards I'd still feel the same about her. So it doesn't matter if she cost alot or not, and I guess some folks do not care either way.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
There are lots of reasons that dogs are dumped, but I do agree, to some extent, that for some people, a free dog is disposable dog. When I'm at adoptions, and someone who obviously has the means won't cough up the $135 adoption fee, it worries me a little. If someone isn't willing to spend a little money to adopt the dog, will they be willing to spend the money to take proper care of the dog?

That being said, though, it is true that some stupid @$$ people simply place no value on life, and will dump an animal like garbage, no matter what they paid for it.

Another nasty little thing that sometimes happens around here is that people will scoop up free puppies or dogs, then sell them to research facilities. These [email protected][email protected]$ will rarely pay even a small fee for a dog, which it is best, if you are trying to rehome a pet, it is best to charge some kind of fee - not just advertise the "free to a good home" thing. People are good liars, and can fool ya' sometimes, unfortunately.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would agree with you guys and another thing is that with this breed of dog people do not research the breed and what they are getting them selves into and when it does not turn out the way they want then they disregard it. But you know what is ironic is that some of these people have kids that definately do not turn out the way they want them to but they continue to give them money and support them!!! makes no sense to me at all!

·
Registered
775 Posts
AllAmericanPUP said:
how much a puppy costs means diddly squat

take this dog for example, bought for $3400 and then discarded like yesterdays trash

n American Staffordshire. He was purchased for $3400 from a "Big Name" pit bull breeder who sold him strictly as a breeding dog.

Gotti was abandoned in an Arizona apartment, along with two female dogs. One had already died when they were saved.

Gotti is 55 lbs, short and wide, and loves people. He is great with female dogs and loves kids. He has begun training in weight pull. Gotti just wants someone to love.

http://www.workingpitbull.com/availabledogs.htm

This dog was 3400? Damn the owner got ripped off. that's outrageous for a dog like that. Even the most popular
short and wide bully breeder don't even ask much for a dog "like this".

BTW are you sure it was 3400? Didn't the owner dog abandoned the dog and someone picked him up?

·
Registered
775 Posts
that dog isn't even a muglestone dog. I guess you missed the part where I put in quotation "like this"
A dog like that does not go for 3400. The owner surely got ripped off! I've searched for over a year online with
every bully breeder I could find before picking Tyson. That dog is not even a blue pit.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
AsianRedneck said:
that dog isn't even a muglestone dog. I guess you missed the part where I put in quotation "like this"
A dog like that does not go for 3400. The owner surely got ripped off! I've searched for over a year online with
every bully breeder I could find before picking Tyson. That dog is not even a blue pit.
All I am saying is that if Mugelstone can charge $6000.00, then I am sure there are breeders charging $3400 them.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
AsianRedneck said:
I understand what you're saying. But I'm saying is the owner got ripped off. Never seen a dog like that go for more than 1k
of course the owner got ripped off, but thats not even the point, it's about people abandoning dogs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
thanks for that link!!

Thanks for that link Allamericanpup!! It's unbelievalbe...that people pay money like that..& dump their dogs...I used to work at an animal shelter here..it's amazing how many purbreds...end up being put to sleep...

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Roxy said:
As I have said before, if they are prepared to breed, they should be prepared to take the dog back!
I agree 1000% Or should I say 6000%? :p A good breeder should take back any dog they have ever bred, at any time, regardless of the dogs mental or physical condition.

~~~
OT - Jaded1, Shiloh is gorgeous!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts