Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Lyla to a conservation area today. She ran the trails for a bit, then had a good run in an open field. She loved it, as it was our first BIG outing of the season. (just been short walks on the leash since winter began) We got into the car, went home, into house etc....She past out as she was tired out. BUT...when she woke up, she was limping pretty bad. I was hoping that after resting for the evening she would be better, but she limped out to the living room when I got home from work tonight.
There are no signs of injury to her surface.
Should I give it another day, and hope it's just a sore muscle? If it is a sprain, is it ok to let it heal on its own? Should I take her to the vet in the morning? This is her first time getting hurt, so just not sure.
Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I had this very same experience with Bears a couple months ago when we went out for out first really long walk in the park. He came home and passed out. I got really worried when he wouldn't get up. He just wanted to lay in his bed and was very slow in getting up when I made him go out or eat. I took a good day to day and half but he was back to his normal self.

After that I went out to Walmart and started him on a Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM supplement after reading several posts on here about them.

Here's a quote from another topic: "Chico is the same exact way. It seems as though his midsection moves at a completely diferent rythem than the front and rear. Sorta like how a tiger walks. I hope that makes sense. Also his rear is really stiff. He used to limp after we'd go on walks but he hasn't done this in a couple of weeks. I've noticed since we started giving him glucosamine and esther-c vitamins, he's been doing much better. You may want to give it a try if you aren't already feeding it.
This is what I follow and have seen results in just a matter of weeks."

Quote:

I give all human supplements for the most part. The first one I give is a Glucosamine/Chondroiton/Msm all in one. The other is Ester-C and lastly, I feed Fish Oil. The glucosamine(750mg),chondroiton(600mg), msm(750mg) supplement I feed is made for humans and is in pill form. I give one pill daily. The Ester-c is also for humans and is in pill form. I give approximately 2000mg daily to my ABs (between 65-95 pounds) Ester-c pills come in 500mg pills or 1000mg pills. The fish Oil is a gel capsul, and comes in 1000mg. I give 1 pill daily to my dogs under 65 pounds, 2000mg daily to dogs 65-85 pounds and 3000mg daily to my dogs over 85 pounds.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The supplements are great and I highly recommend them (my quote was the 2nd one! LOL!) but I have to say that these bulldogs can and do bite off a bit more than they can chew, especially our house bullies.... while they get excercise at home, etc.. they really go over the top when taken to a new place and allowed to go all out. I have heard of numerous dogs spraining muscles or getting tears, etc. It's important to really warm these guys up a bit before letting them take off...just as human athletes.

If your dog is limping, try and rub a liniment on the injured muscles and give them some rest. Do not allow them to run a nd jump until you notice they are walking better. Even once they do start to move better, slowly introduce them back to more rigerous excercise. Bulldogs have such a high pain tolerance that they will fool you into thinking they are OK..one quick jump or jog and they are right back to limping.

If a limp does not go away after a couple of days, take them to a vet and have the injury looked at..better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses

The supplements are good advice..I will look into that.

You are so right about how they will over do it. She was full speed up and down the field, not to mention throught the bush.

The good new is...she seems a lot better today, but I will make sure she takes it easy for the next few days.
Thanks so much for the replies.

(aren't our dogs such a worry to us? Just like our children...lol)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also will check into this. My girl got a lil out of control yesterday with the rope and landed real bad and got up limpin. But after resting all day she was back to normal that night tearing up the yard again.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
My first Ab was hilarious...we would go for long walks each day. One day I pushed him to much (and by push, I mean we walked too far). He decided he was done and layed down in the road! I managed to sccot him over to the side and had to call hubby to come pick us up in the car. My AB was 125 lbs and there was no way I was going to be able to A)pick him up or B) MAKE him do something he didn't want to.

Never tried to make him walk that far again. :D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I know, they are just like having kids. I worry about Bear all of the time. But I'm so glad I found this forum and all the information I did on food right down the supplements.

I really believe that the supplements worked. When Bear was a pup the vet checking him all out and when he got to left hind leg there was something not quit right (can't remember the technical term) but he said he may in the future need corrective surgery and that this was common in the breed. But if it didn't bother him we wouldn't think about surgery until that point.

Well, the only time I saw it really bother him was when I would lift him on the bed I put one arm under his belly and the other under a back leg and lift and he would get up on the bed. But when it came to him lifting with that one back leg he would turn around and kinda nip like it bothered him.

I noticed a little while after starting the supplements he has not reaction anymore. I can only attribute it to the supplements since it had been an ongoing problem for about 6 months.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I agree with bear

My rotty had a problem I put him on the same thing called triflex i picked up at GNC he was parilized we had to carry him out and vet wanted to do 2000.00 surgery So we put him on this and within 4 weeks he was up and walking and he has been on it for 3 years now
and doing fine. I agree Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM thats what is in triflex and it does work

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took the advice & put my AB Brody on that Glucosimine & Ester-C, & it brought him right back to life. He was to the point that he could hardly get up off of the floor. After about a week on the supplements, he was moving alot better. He's been on the stuff for about 6 months now, & he's back to normal. Now I have to put up a taller fence as he's learned how to escape over the top. Hell, even his hair loss problem has gone away. I now have a beautiful white dog!!! He doesn't look like an American Hairless Bulldog anymore. :D
Mom to Many- I know what your talking about as far as these dogs not moving if they don't want to. It's like trying to drag a dead elephant. If they don't want to do something, they just lock up, & that is that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts