Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I already knew that Nala would hog down the moist canned food, but that gives her diarrhea, so I am trying to steer away from that. She won't have anything to do with the dry food. And everyone has always said, "just let it sit, she won't starve herself, she will eat when she gets hungry." BS. That food sat there for 2 days, and she lost nearly a pound. Well she just finished eating my leftover sirloin. It was cooked, obviously, but at least she finally ATE something. And she drank lots of water too, she hasn't been drinking very much lately. She needs nutrition and hydration in order to heal that belly incision. She needs protein! Especially with it being infected, that boosts her nutrition requirements. So if she wants "real" food, real food she shall get. I'm going to try putting her on the raw diet for a while, and see how that goes.

Does anyone know if that's enough nutrition for an underweight puppy? Any other suggestions? Do they make vitamin drops for puppies?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
There is a paste that the Vet can give you that will give her the calories and nutrients that she needs....Both of my dogs were on the paste for a little while but I don't remember the name of it ...Hopefully someone will see this and be able to tell you the name of it

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Maybe try some of those satin balls (or whatever they are called) that somebody was talking about before. Aren't those supposed to put weight on? Because I agree with you, she needs some nutrition.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I forgot to mention.... the vet said Nala's stool was full of roundworms. Another reason she needs more nutrition.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Did you try putting some warm water in her dry food? It is the only way one of my dogs will eat his food. I just put warm tap water in it and let it sit for a min or two. Then the laps it up!!!

There is a past at petsmart called Nutri-Stat by Tomlyn. It is a high calorie food supplement. You just put a little in their food. I had to give it to my boxer after we rescued him because he was so malnourished. He love the taste of it. The directions say to use 1 1/2 teaspoon per every 10 lbs. So you should not have to use that much!! Hope she starts eating soon!!

By the way, what food are you feeding her?? Do you think maybe she just does not like it?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will try that. I did try soaking her dry food in a little bit of milk, and she ate a few bites, but not enough to sustain any weight. I am feeding her the same stuff I have always fed H & K, Authority Large Breed Puppy. They both ate it at her age and loved it. (They are still eating it, the label says up to age 2.) Nala is just more finicky and doesn't have the greatest appetite after having surgery and having worms!

I am just afraid if I start her on the raw diet, she will never want kibble again!

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's true. Try the warm water, it kinda makes a gravy and softens up the food a bit. The stuff from petsmarts works great, but you should only use it until she is eating and gaining weight!
Poor Nala :cry:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well to start with i would not offer a BARF diet to your pup yet or atleast until you have her eating on a steady diet as the problem with that is unless you have good recipes your pup will not get the balanced diet she needs.

Secondly i know you said you cant starve her but honestly i have seen some stubborn dogs go with out eating four days then they finally come around, the reason i say this as once you start feeding her something it will be hard to get her off it especially as she is only a pup.

OK to start with i would either try offering her some DVP or Natures diet wet food with her dry food then slowly try wean her off it using smaller amounts of the wet food each day you could also try other good protein sources like some nice venison or rabbit ( something different & great sources ) & since you did say she has had a few problems in life allready i would also suggest something like Prozyne Probiotics as this helps build up the immune system for pups & also things like Missing link & SA37 or just some good all round multivitamins to give her a better start in life.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I was also going to suggest the satin balls. They are recommended to a lot of people trying to put weight on a dog. You could do a search for it. I know they have discussed it on here before. Good luck

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
angie7349 said:
There is a paste that the Vet can give you that will give her the calories and nutrients that she needs....Both of my dogs were on the paste for a little while but I don't remember the name of it ...Hopefully someone will see this and be able to tell you the name of it
When Koda had parvo, and was dehydrated & all that other stuff, the vet gave us the paste she's referring to in the above post, it's called Nutri-Cal. It's very high in calories and nutrients/supplements. You may try some of that. I'd get some from your vet or I have a whole bottle of it I can send you :D

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
Satin Balls - The Original Recipe

The following recipe was sent to Wellpet by Diana Carreon, R.N.,C. It quickly became one of the most requested posts on Wellpet.
Ingredients
10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.
Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.
Thaw as needed and feed raw!
Uses
"I take a frozen pack to dogs' shows with me, kept on ice, and never have had any trouble with it spoiling, even in the heat of Texas summers..."
"All my dogs go crazy over this stuff...but you have to be careful, it will put weight on the dogs pretty fast if you feed enough....I feed a pack a day...half in am , half in pm."
"When I want to increase the weight on a dog, I feed more; so far I haven't got to the point where they won't eat anymore, and believe me, Satin has eaten a lot at one setting. It will put on the weight, make the coats soft and blue black (on black dogs at least, that's all I have)."
"The dogs stop all the itching and chewing at their coats/skin, their eyes get this bright look and the energy level goes out the roof (not that Belgians need any more energy)."
"The bitch that I got this recipe for is a picky eater, but when she in on the food (I long ago stopped trying to "bury" it the other food; they just hunt it down to eat first, and making a mess trying) she eats much better. It seems to whet her appetite."
Comments
Per the information received after having the Satin Balls recipe checked by several vets/labs:
Satin Balls is a total canine diet. It can be feed by itself or as a supplement, for however long you wish. My dogs have been on Satin Balls for over a year; the only time that I have fed it alone is when I had a sick dog needing to be built up or an underweight dog that I plan on showing.
The only problem with feeding it by itself is figuring out the amount. It will put weight on a dog in a few days...that's why it is so great to feed just before a show. If you have a dog that is in good weight, but you just want to build coat/endurance, you would have to figure out how much to feed (cal per kg), or you would end up with a fat dog in a very short time. At one point, I let Satin eat as much as she wanted, just to see how much she would consume. I never got to that point! After a pound pack, she was still looking for more, so I stopped. I have been told a dog will stop eating when full on it, and that you can then gauge the amount needed to maintain weight!
I just find that per the pocketbook and ease, my dogs do very well on it as a supplement. I give about a 1/4 pound each night to maintain beautiful coats, energy level, and a full appetite...no picky eaters here.
Just don't try to hide it in the kibble...they will make a mess throwing out the kibble, digging for the Satin Balls! My dogs have never gotten sick on Satin balls...not even when I am at a show and feed only that. I feed less kibble, so I save money there. There is also less stool to pick up as the dogs are able to digest all of the Satin Balls.
I have been playing with the recipe. I now use the Knox Joint Gelatin instead of the plain Knox unflavored gelatin. Since this is high in Vitamin C and protein, and is good for the joints, it would be good for the dogs. They don't seem to mind the added flavor.
I am also adding Flaxseed oil. They probably don't need the added oil, but so far I have not seen it hurt anything.
Fix some up and let your dogs enjoy. They will love you forever and forever!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, everyone. I started Nala on "Nutri-Stat" a high calorie food supplement with omega acids. It says "irresistible taste." LOL -- Nala won't have anything to do with it. So I am giving her the moist food again, and mixed this in with it. Maybe her loose stools will stop after she gets used to the moist food, and I can slowly introduce her to dry kibble again. Poor girl is having such a rough start.

But she thanks you for the recipes and advice. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts