Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recommend any weight gain or nutritional supplements? Toby is on Natural Choice, but I don't feel like its doing enough. He's real slim and I'd like for him to put on a few pounds. I'd prefer not to do the hamburger/cottage cheese route. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My buddy has labs that he runs alot, can't remember the name of the food but will try to find out......It is a high protein food, and unless you really exercise your dog then you should mix it with the regular food......he is just across the border in NC and he gets it from a general store (lots of huntin dogs down there).......He took my wife's rottador down for 2 months, he left at 76 and came back at 108.....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do you have some recent pics of your dog so we can get an idea of what his condition is? Often times, especially with APBT's, your dealing with a dog that isn't genetically supposed to be a heavier dog...they are lean, lighter dogs. All the food in the world won't change genetics, but just add fat. To build muscle, supplement with raw chicken and beef and get your dog into some good conditioning work, such as weightpull (light weight, long distance), springpole, swimming, lots of running. Your dog will still be lean, but have alot of ripply muscle.

If your dog is truly underweight (hip bones, backbone, etc. showing) there is a supplement called Dyne that is a high calorie nutritional supplement. Just a small amount daily will give the dog an abundance of callories (it's daily total and then some actually) plus encourage hydration, etc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's an American Bulldog/Pitbull mix. He's very slim in the "waist" department. I take them swimming/running everyday which I personally think is causing him to look thin. The Natural Choice is doing wonders for poo (smaller) and skin (less shed and shinier). I just want to give him something that will give him more calories to burn so to speak. Rather than burning the fat/muscle that I'd like him to keep permanently. If I don't make sense, let me know. I just feel that he's too thin for what we do everyday and I want him to have some extra meat. Here are recent pictures of him. He's very, very tall (almost great dane) but it doesn't show in the pictures for comparison.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I can see how tall he is. But look at how slender but solid he looks. You don't see his ribs at all but he does not have that barrell shape to him

Edit to add: His body will not burn the muscle he has for extra engery when he is doing normal everyday things such as swimming and running. When he runs out of his extra storage, that is when he gets tired and wants to stop, just like us humans. You may think his body is going above and beyond his extra storage because he always seems to have so much energy but thats not true. Dogs bodies run a lot more differently then humans. The only time his body is going to use his healthy fat and muscle is when he is being starved to death and his body is desperate for nutrition

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think he is at a great body weight. You want to see a nice tuck in the tummy or waist area and see a rib or two. With his bone being a bit finer like an APBT as opposed to the AB, he would be fat if he had more weight on him, and it could really stress his structure. It's important to keep the large dogs lean...if they get heavy, dysplasia, arthritis and other joint/bone issues are at a higher risk.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't really want him fat.. I was told that he needed more weight (not obese) to do what we do all the time (sometimes we'll go 2-3 times a day for 2+ hours). He's 86.6lbs right now. And I don't think he's all that big anyways.. My boyfriends pitbull, Sid, (who weighs 63lbs) actually looks quite small to me. Sid doesn't get walked or anything and his muscle tone is very nice. I'll get better photos of Toby today in a "stacking" position that will give a better idea of his over all size and what not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You say you were told he needs more weight to do what you do all the time? I'm not sure what you do, but is he having trouble doing it? :p

I agree with what others have said, your dog does not look too thin. He could possibly use more muscling, but I would not put any weight on him. He's more lean in type and doesnt need more beef.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My younger male ridgeback is built like a brick poop house. He is tall, and lean and muscular. He's sighthound, that is what he's supposed to look like. One woman observed she thought he was too skinny. I had to tell her 'if your ridgeback looks like a lab it's too fat".

Regarding foods. Innova Evo has a very high protein but actually fewer calories than regular Innova. I'd go that route instead of protein powders. That is, if your dog is truly underweight.

Paula

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.