Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so Buster is 4 months now.When we got him at 6 weeks I started feeding him the Nutro puppy( purple bag) and he was on it for about two weeks and had the runs really bad so I stopped and put him on IAMS ( yes I know all about the IAMS) but the Nutro was to rich for his belly at the time.I still have half a bag left of the Nutro Max and am low on the IAMS which means I will be heading to the pet store tonight but my question is do you think his belly is able to handle the Nurto yet? I want to get him on good food and his coat is a LITTLE corse so I no he needs to be changed over but I dont want him having the runs.Does the Nutro have more of something in there that would cause him the runs? Should I just try something different altogether? If I go with a new food should I also grab a bag of the IAMS to mix with teh new cause I dont have much left in the bag of IAMS?Any advice would be great and thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
If he liked the Nutro, try Nutro Lamb and Rice, my dogs have eaten it since they were puppies. It may be gentler on his tummy than the Nutro Max.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Also consider how much you are giving him.

I just moved to Dick Van Patten's Natural Performance and I had to cut back on the amount. Dozer had the same issue but it was because I was overfeeding, not that it was too rich for his stomach.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a slow transition, If I were you I would just get him off Iams on to something better. What about DVP, or something else along that lines. Or the Lamb and Rice Kasco suggested.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Kasco said:
If he liked the Nutro, try Nutro Lamb and Rice, my dogs have eaten it since they were puppies. It may be gentler on his tummy than the Nutro Max.
Thats what we feed Gracie. She seems to really love the taste of it. Her coat is beautiful and shiny, however sometimes her stools are soft. dunno if its directly contributed to the food, but she had soft stools sometimes on canidae as well. She didnt seem to care for the taste nearly as much, but she picked at it alot more, but gobbles down the rice and lamb.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought Nutro Natural lamb & Rice

Well I got the Nutro lamb and Rice.While I was at Petco I saw Natures Recipe and I couldn't remember if that was on the food list so I had to call home , walk my hubby through the forum to get to the food sticky but he couldn't find it there.
I didn't want to take any chances so I bought what I knew was good.This morning will be his first day on it so well see how he does.I have a little IAMS left so I will mix that in as well just so it isn't that big of a jump.I just hope he doesn't have the runs from it like he did before although the last time he had Nutro he had the beef( I think it was the beef) Wish us luck.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
If Buster doesn't like the Nutro, I would recommend Canidae. We just switched our 5 month old from IAMS to Canidae and he loves it. I can already tell a big difference in his coat and it's only been a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Re: Bought Nutro Natural lamb & Rice

Kelly said:
Well I got the Nutro lamb and Rice.While I was at Petco I saw Natures Recipe and I couldn't remember if that was on the food list so I had to call home , walk my hubby through the forum to get to the food sticky but he couldn't find it there.
I didn't want to take any chances so I bought what I knew was good.This morning will be his first day on it so well see how he does.I have a little IAMS left so I will mix that in as well just so it isn't that big of a jump.I just hope he doesn't have the runs from it like he did before although the last time he had Nutro he had the beef( I think it was the beef) Wish us luck.
CC eats the venison and rice formula of natures recipe, it rated a 100% CC loves it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Nutro Max is Nutro's cheap brand of food..it is no better than Iams. The Nutro Natural Choice or Nutro Ultra formulas are the quality brands. The Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice should be a great formula...it is often used for dogs with allergies, sensitive stomachs, etc. You should see much better results than what you saw with the Nutro Max.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carrie said:
Nutro Max is Nutro's cheap brand of food..it is no better than Iams. The Nutro Natural Choice or Nutro Ultra formulas are the quality brands. The Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice should be a great formula...it is often used for dogs with allergies, sensitive stomachs, etc. You should see much better results than what you saw with the Nutro Max.
HUH, I had no idea they were different.The funny thing was I kept looking at the prices and the Nutro puppy was around $26 and the Nutro Natrual what I got was $40 and I couldn't figure out why the price difference,now I know and i am glad I didn't go back to the regular Nutro.Wish I would of had your number last night while standing in the dog food isle for a HALF HOUR :shock: wondering which one to buy.I really hope he works out on the Nutro Natural lamb and rice( I bought a 40 lb bag).He sucked it down this morning.Now we just have to wait and see.Keep your fingers crossed this works out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Carrie said:
This formula is what Gracie eats, the natural choice version, not the nutro max, actually I dont think our pet store carries the nutro max, just the natural choice. Anyways just correcting the mistake above, she isnt on the max.

·
Registered
704 Posts
HUH, I had no idea they were different.The funny thing was I kept looking at the prices and the Nutro puppy was around $26 and the Nutro Natrual what I got was $40 and I couldn't figure out why the price difference,now I know and i am glad I didn't go back to the regular Nutro.Wish I would of had your number last night while standing in the dog food isle for a HALF HOUR wondering which one to buy.I really hope he works out on the Nutro Natural lamb and rice( I bought a 40 lb bag).He sucked it down this morning.Now we just have to wait and see.Keep your fingers crossed this works out.
LOL! I hope the Natural Choice works well for you. Give him a couple weeks for his sytem to regulate on it though...any food change can upset them a bit..some dogs are just more sensitive than others. Keep us posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts