Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I tried to look in the forum for advise regarding a place to send Patch to Obedience Class. We are based in south-east suburbs of Melbourne, Australia. Patch is 4.5 months and graduated from Junior Manners at RSCPA but they do not offer any further training. Does anybody know any of this providers or can recommend someone else in the area?

- Underdog Training and Behavoiur in Hawthorn East
- Alpha Dog Training in Knoxfield
- Command Dog Training in Blackburn
- Positive K9 Training

We are also keen on any good books and could possibly take a more DIY approach to training. Any advise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Try find a school that has experience training Aussie Bulls, OEBS or AMbulls.
A lot of trainers are a bit more used to the more biddable breeds and can have problems when dealing with Bullies.

If you want to go the positive approach have a look at the book:
When Pigs Fly!: Training Success with Impossible Dogs by Jane Killion

For a more old school approach to training dogs, the books by the Monks of New Skete are worthwhile
The Art of Raising a Puppy and
How to be your Dog's Best Friend
They specialize in GSDs but the methods do work on other dogs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
See if your local council offers anything as well. That's what we've done with Tyson. Otherwise go check out some classes. Ask to sit in on one and see how they work and if it suits you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Gazar, I actually did a search to see if there was anybody asking the same thing. I will certainly check these out.

Contibull, those books sound good... I will look for them at the library :)
Isojourni, Tyson is very cute. Our council does not offer anything, checked that...

For all, RSPCA has made a new course with the trainer we had, which is great as she has made a difference in Patch's behaviour since we started training there.

Thanks for all suggestions and hello Cowsmom, great pic of your dog there :)

Patch says hello and thank you... 4.5 months and already 15 kgs... he just fits in my chair these days...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Patch is very sweet!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AW thanks guys for your comments :) he is comfortable indeed, we are sharing my chair at the moment (I think its called armchair in English). We just got him a miniature version of it but Patch still likes better to share mine (and as long as it is cold, I dont mind :) )

Here is his sleepy face wishing you all good night. Talk soon!

·
Registered
74 Posts
hahaha, look at that face, it's like he's saying "seriously mom?"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL very well put, Isojourni... Patch is really good at making what-do-you-think-you-are-doing-Mum faces :)

Lately he also started showing off his yoga stretching and new all-stretched sleeping positions :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks to be very comfortable. :)
I hope so, Gazar :)

Following up on this post, I am happy to let you know that we are starting training again tomorrow at an advanced level - Pet Dog Manners its called - with same trainer at RSPCA. It is a pretty nice group too as its 7 dogs of different sizes just no other bulldogs... (last time was just us and 3 little fluffy terriers). See how we go... will keep you informed!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good luck!! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Updates and Questions

Hi guys!

As requested, I am sharing the last weeks class at the RSPCA. Apparently, Patch is now a teenager (6 months soon) and is trying to push the boundaries... So we are back to basics... making him work for food and so on which works as long as we have food around. The moment we ran out of food is either "siesta" time and he snuggles up with me like a lap dog OR he gets the crazies. Is this normal?

In the good news, he hasn't done either P's inside the house at all and has slept through the night without waking up at 06 am for over a month now. We even sleep until 09am in the weekends! :D I never thought I would be so happy about reporting these things lol We did not crate him and worked out a system at the end.

We also changed him to a gentle leader harness which has stopped the pulling and the "I-am-taking-you-for-a-walk-not-the-other-way-around" attitude :)

My next questions are...

1) Besides Kong toys and similar... is there any chewable thing out there that could keep him busy for a long time? He chews large size raw hyde bones in 7 days tops and he destroyed a (vegan) pig ear in within an hour. Thank God he does not have access to shoes but he already tried chewing my fiancee's armchair... any ideas?

2) We are taking Patch on a road-trip soon... got his seat-belt sorted and he is pretty good in the car but this time is going to be a longer trip plus staying a few days away from home. Any suggestions?

3) He is growing so much! Patch is at 15 kg last time we checked... His brother from same litter is actually bigger (20 kg) and we recently meet another Aussie bulldog also 6 months and was bigger too (25 kg). It makes me wonder whether Patch is just of a smaller built? The trainer says he is fit and healthy so we are feeding him fine. Any thoughts?

4) Desexing! We are getting it done after the road trip in early June... how long does it take for the stitches to be ok? We are going to be with him for the first few days before going back to work. What can you tell me about post-desexing? Suggestions? Oh and his second ball still has not dropped...

Sorry for the lengthy message. I haven't been around here for a while and it was nice seeing your messages asking for updates on how the classes went.

:)

Silvia&Patch

Photo: Patch asleep after his first day at Brighton Dog Beach in Melbourne... he even went off-leash and came back when called... so proud :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts