Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi guys!

As requested, I am sharing the last weeks class at the RSPCA. Apparently, Patch is now a teenager (6 months soon) and is trying to push the boundaries... So we are back to basics... making him work for food and so on which works as long as we have food around. The moment we ran out of food is either "siesta" time and he snuggles up with me like a lap dog OR he gets the crazies. Is this normal?
You need to wean him off the food. It's generally termed fading the treat. In the end the treats should be a jackpot type thing and not something given all the time.Your trainer should be explaining this.
At 6 months now he is, as you said, going to start pushing his luck as a teen and you may have to be a bit more firm with him.

We also changed him to a gentle leader harness which has stopped the pulling and the "I-am-taking-you-for-a-walk-not-the-other-way-around" attitude :)
Just watch his face with it, I recently saw a an American Bully here whos face was raw from the gentle leader.
1) Besides Kong toys and similar... is there any chewable thing out there that could keep him busy for a long time? He chews large size raw hyde bones in 7 days tops and he destroyed a (vegan) pig ear in within an hour. Thank God he does not have access to shoes but he already tried chewing my fiancee's armchair... any ideas?
Have you tried cow ears? They are better for the dogs than pig ears and a lot harder. If you can get fresh ones with the hair on, it's even better. Many people think it's rather gross but the dogs don't.
3) He is growing so much! Patch is at 15 kg last time we checked... His brother from same litter is actually bigger (20 kg) and we recently meet another Aussie bulldog also 6 months and was bigger too (25 kg). It makes me wonder whether Patch is just of a smaller built? The trainer says he is fit and healthy so we are feeding him fine. Any thoughts?
If your vet and possibly your trainer are happy with his weight, it's fine. He is probably just a bit smaller than some of the others.
Hope that helped a little bit.
He is looking good and really looks like he is related to my Rocco

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ahhhh, the "fun" of a teenage pup. They do love to try their wings. :laughing6:
So glad he doing well in class and that it is showing in his manners.

As to the chew toy, this is the one that has worked for Clara:

Jolly Pet Teaser Ball Dog Toy at PETCO

Thanks for the tips Gazar! we will give that toy a try :)

You need to wean him off the food. It's generally termed fading the treat. In the end the treats should be a jackpot type thing and not something given all the time.Your trainer should be explaining this. At 6 months now he is, as you said, going to start pushing his luck as a teen and you may have to be a bit more firm with him.

Just watch his face with it, I recently saw a an American Bully here whos face was raw from the gentle leader.

Have you tried cow ears? They are better for the dogs than pig ears and a lot harder. If you can get fresh ones with the hair on, it's even better. Many people think it's rather gross but the dogs don't.

If your vet and possibly your trainer are happy with his weight, it's fine. He is probably just a bit smaller than some of the others.
Hope that helped a little bit.
He is looking good and really looks like he is related to my Rocco
Contibull, you are so thorough! :)

I didn't explain myself very well... He has to seat / drop or drop / roll over or whatever combination to get 2 pieces of kibble (that is his own food). We do this with commands during meal time as he is used to not having food from the table. We reserve treats for special ocasions when he behaves. We started being a bit more strict as he barked sometimes and after a few days he is back to his normal self.

We use gentle leader harness on a short chain-like leash to walk him. We only use the gentle leader leash for training once a week.

I would love to see a photo of Rocco to see the resemblance :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Watch out with chain leashes. Then can be absolute hell on your hands. I'm still old school and reccomend a leather leash but till the pup is out odf the chewing on the leash stage you may need to look at some other options.
Bayby Rocco

Rocco at around 1 year of age.
They have very similar markings

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OMG! They could be twin brothers.. unbeliveable.. It also gives me an insight of when Patch will get a bit chunkier.. I reckon around Xmas (he will be 1 yo then), I might be right :)

Pitty we are so far away, it would be funny to put them together.

Oh I forgot to tell how taking Patch to the off leash dog park is making wonders. He is much calmer and snuggly through the week. Im sure Winter also helps, but after 3 weeks in a row, he is actually able to relax. We meet at the park with other bulldog owners from a facebook group. The park is fully fenced and people are really good at puting their dogs back on leash if they are acting silly around other dogs.

The best for me was to see Patch running around chasing Alaska's like the one I used to have when I was little. He is thus far the only bulldog that wants to run and not just play in the mud :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
They would probably look very cute together.

Rocco is generally good with other dogs and likes to play. He even, eventually made friends with his arch enemy, a Chihuahua belonging to some people near us.
He runs with a friend's hunting dogs and plays with a neighbor's Golden. People always ask me what he is because no-one can believe that a Bulldog has that kind of energy.

I monitor his dog interactions to make sure he doesn't have any bad experiences. A dog aggressive OEB could be a real problem.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts