Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called PetSmart to get some information and signed Rex up for class! He starts June 24th! I cant wait im sure we both will love it. I have a neighbor who refered me there and she gave me some helpful tips and told me to call PetSmart! Has anyone took their babies to obedience school? If so how did it go? :D

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I have never attended any of their classes (just watched one) but PetSmart hires people who have never even trained dogs before. The only requirement to be a Petsmart ob trainer is that you like animals and working with people. They put you through an 8 week program and voila you are a dog trainer. I wouldn't attend one of their classes if it was free. You should ask the qualifications of the trainer. See if they have actually titled any dogs in obedience. I know some are probably better than others but I know the bar generally isn't set too high at Petsmart.

PS how old is your dog?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I have to throw my two cents in here,sorry.

I was at petsmart last week and they had a training class waiting to begin.They were all in this gated off area.
There were all kinds of dogs but all of them were running around barking , growling , roughing one another up and yet
there leashes were on but the parents were standing there talking laughing not caring what was going on.One poor dog was trying to take cover behind anyone to get one of the dogs to leave him alone.I felt bad.After seeing that there is no way I would go there for training myself.I was not impressed with what I saw.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lady who is training my pup trained my neighbors pet and he is VERY obidiant and knows some cool things . I guess it depends on where you live at .* MY* PetSmart is Great! She is 5 almost 6 wks will be 10 wks when she starts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I wouldn't discredit the advice gien here just b/c your neighbors dog is obediant. This doesn't really say anything about the trainer. My dog is also very obediant, and she has yet to see the inside of a "classroom". You train your dog, not the trainer. The trainer trains you, if I understand correctly. Just b/c your neighbors dog is good, it says more about your neighbor, IMO. What could it possibly hurt to ask for the trainers credentials? In most areas, there are plenty of trainers to choose from. Why not make a more informed decision, instead of basing it on one reference?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I realize that some Petsmart trainers may not be good. But, there are some that are excellent. You just have to see if you are getting a good one. Just b/c you saw 1 bad trainer doesn't make it fair to say that they are all bad. We had an excellent trainer at Petsmart and I was very happy with our results. Our dogs were not allowed to roam free, and she had a lot of experience.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
IMO 10 weeks old is way to young for any type of OB class anyways. I would work with the pup at home on your own, using motivational mehtods to get the desired repsonse (food works really well for this). Then when the pup is older, say 6-8 months or so, then you can take it to a class where it can learn to work under distractions. A 10 week old puppy does not have the attention span to work through an hour class or whatever it is. You are basically paying for your puppy to socialize. You can do that for free by walking through Petsmart without joining the class.

Also, regarding Petsmart training. I was watching a class and they had about 10 people and dogs jammed into a roped off area that was maybe 20 feet long and about 8 feet wide. All the handlers with sitting in chairs with their dogs beside them. First it was way too close for comfort for my liking (accident waiting to happen) and secondly, who trains their dogs sitting down? It was a joke. My advice is to spend the next 4 or 5 months working with your pup on your own and while you are doing that research some trainers in your area. Find someone who actually has some credentials and has worked with bull breeds.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nanniesrock said:
I wouldn't discredit the advice gien here just b/c your neighbors dog is obediant. This doesn't really say anything about the trainer. My dog is also very obediant, and she has yet to see the inside of a "classroom". You train your dog, not the trainer. The trainer trains you, if I understand correctly. Just b/c your neighbors dog is good, it says more about your neighbor, IMO. What could it possibly hurt to ask for the trainers credentials? In most areas, there are plenty of trainers to choose from. Why not make a more informed decision, instead of basing it on one reference?
She has advised me how well she was and she said this paticular lady was EXCELLENTand im going for it. Its only 100 bucks if its no good I will go to another one :) Btw once my mind is made up about something I go for it lol :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deuce's mommy said:
I realize that some Petsmart trainers may not be good. But, there are some that are excellent. You just have to see if you are getting a good one. Just b/c you saw 1 bad trainer doesn't make it fair to say that they are all bad. We had an excellent trainer at Petsmart and I was very happy with our results. Our dogs were not allowed to roam free, and she had a lot of experience.
Thx!Thats exactly What Im saying. I dont live in you guys state and they are totally differant trainer. If I dont like thetraining I Will go to a new place. Of course I will train him myslef and they will just help me in some areas :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That's cool, it's your dog! BTW, a trainer recommended the book "Mother Knows Best" by Carol Lea Benjamin to me. It teaches you how to mimic "mom" to train your pup. It is an AWESOME book ,I totally recommend it. You may be able to pass basic OB before the classes even start with it :wink: At the very least, it will help create an unbreakable bond between you and your pup, it's packe dwith great advice, and it even has some cool games and stuff thrown in at the end. I've read the book like 5 times. It has so much in it, and it doesn't use harsh corrections, which I like. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Oh, another idea just occured to me. When I was calling around places, every trainer offered to let me come watch a class. Since you have a few weeks, even if your mind is made up, you could go check out a few different classes being offered by different trainers, just to see what their different styles might be. I'm not really sure I understand why you're asking a question if your mind is made up, If it is, it is, but IMO, it never hurts to keep an open mind :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
It all depends on what your goals are.

I sent Lucy through the petsmart puppy class. I wanted it for socialization. It gave us a solid hour every week with people and dogs. Yes I could have just walked Lucy through the store but that wouldn't have allowed her to get to know people in general.

I didn't look at the class to make her a champion in OB. It was nothing more than puppy playtime.

As for their beginner, intermediate, and advanced class. The petsmart near me has one solid trainer out of three. One of the trainers has been training dogs for 20 years. She knows her stuff. However, the other trainers suck.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks evertone for your helpful advise I think I will get that book and I will go and watch a class. I have to go buy afew things there anyway. Also I asked if anyone sent their pups to obediance school period. I was not asking about PetSmart lol. its ok that you voiced your opinions and I appreciate it very much. Truthfully if you lived around me and told me these things I would reconsider taking him.

me and I had not got avdise

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Shay78 said:
The lady who is training my pup trained my neighbors pet and he is VERY obidiant and knows some cool things . I guess it depends on where you live at .* MY* PetSmart is Great! She is 5 almost 6 wks will be 10 wks when she starts
10 weeks?? :shock: :shock: IMO, that is a bit young to be teaching a dog OB. I think pups should be ATLEAST 3 months old before even thinking about joining an good OB class. I would say more like 16-18 weeks would be better.

BTW, Petsmart is more of a socialization process rather than an OB class. You will learn a few things but the training will ultimately come from you. Take it for what it's worth but I'd talk to a professional service. You will be surprised to find that they too are rather inexpensive for beginner classes but you will get much more out of it.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
imo, it is never to early to start your obedience training at *home*. i am not a fan of any pet smart training course. but until your puppy has had ALL of his shots he should not be enrolled in any group class, period. and i would be uncomfortable with any "school" that would allow him in. personally i feel no need to spend 80-100 bucks to socialize my puppy, there are better/ less expensive ways to do that. as for the education your pup will take away, hmmm group class, 10-14 week old pup, i would say pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm really glad you're thinking about getting the book :D I know it will be the best $15 you could spend on him right now :wink: I've read quite a few books on the subject, and I really love this one, if you love your dog as much as I love mine, you'll think it's great. I promise. Let me know what you think if you pick it up :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nanniesrock said:
I'm really glad you're thinking about getting the book :D I know it will be the best $15 you could spend on him right now :wink: I've read quite a few books on the subject, and I really love this one, if you love your dog as much as I love mine, you'll think it's great. I promise. Let me know what you think if you pick it up :D
I think I will almost definitely get it this weekend! I will let you know how is goes! Thanks Again :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pet Smart

I took my first Aussie to Petsmart and thought it and the very experienced trainer were great. (keep reading, it's not all positive) The only problem I had with him was demanding treats, he would sit and bark at me at my office desk, looking up at his treat jar. When I asked the trainer for help during the class, she said the best thing to do was ignore him, I wasn't pleased with the answer I already knew that wouldn't work, but after the class she told me that Petsmart made them sign a contract that keeps them from suggesting certain techniques such as taste deterrent spray and some restraint collars/harnesses. Watered down bitter apple spray worked within a day and then I replaced it with the water I had originally started using and within a week, he wasn't doing it at all.
Halfway through his classes, she was let go and I attended the remainder of the classes at Petsmart as they brought in a bunch of novice trainers that knew very little, they were put through a course but didn't have the practical experience with dogs.
Sorry this is so long!
I joined the same trainer's new class with great success with Aussie #2, but now I am looking at some different trainers for Mugsy that are experienced with Bullies and working dogs because I think that there is a big difference between training small/medium complacent or herding dogs and a big OEB who will most likely be stubborn!
I can't wait to start classes with him!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts