Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me [-o< I have a 9 month old mastiff x Amstaff (Obi) and up until now he has been perfectly mannered towards my other 2 dogs. Over the last few days he has started to become aggressive towards them, not all the time, only in the evenings so far.

He is baring his teeth and growling, tonight he lunged at my lurcher but I managed to stop him getting him. I'm really worried about this and don't know what to do about it.

Normally all 3 dogs get along really well, they sleep together in the same room, play really well together inside and out, lie and cuddle up wth each other etc...all the things we expect our dogs to do.

I have a feeling it may have something to do with him being possessive over me as nearly every time he has been nasty he has been sat near me or lying on my bed. I took them in the kitchen about an hour ago, just after he'd gone for my lurcher and gave them biscuits, they were all sat together in a line and there was no aggression, as there never is around food.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong with him and what I can do about it? He's only 9 months old and already very heavy and powerful, I don't want to end up with this being a lifelong problem.

Thanks in advance

Fee x x

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It does sound like he's being possessive. Which means he has now "claimed" you. My GSD is like this with my mom(sitting on the couch next to her, lying oon the bed) and if my Apbt or anyone approaches she growls and barks. So now she's not allowed on the couch, on beds, and now sleeps in a crate at night....So maybe you could try not letting him get on your bed or cuddling up with you on the couch to prevent any fights that might arise from him being aggressive toward your other dogs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. He was neutered about 2 months ago, he had shown some small signs of food aggression just before this. If we were sat eating he would sit in front of us and growl if any of the other dogs came near. He now knows he is not allowed anywhere near us if we are eating. There is no food aggression with his own food, he does eat seperately though.

It seems he has claimed me as his own so now I need to stop that, my partner suggested last night that he goes in his crate during the night, that's what we are going to start doing.

We are also moving house soon and we are going to have a 'no dogs upstairs' rule, they will all sleep together in the conservatory.

Hopefully I can nip this in the bud before it becomes a real problem.

Fee x x

·
Registered
1 Posts
i read in a handbook that pitbulls or dogs in general tend to become more possesive/protective at this age(7-9months) im not sure if this is the situation but it seems so

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was warned by my trainer that he may start to act differently around 9 months old, this is obviously the behaviour she meant :roll:

Fee x x

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
akrho said:
i read in a handbook that pitbulls or dogs in general tend to become more possesive/protective at this age(7-9months) im not sure if this is the situation but it seems so
All dogs start to act a little different at this age.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would definitely take him down a notch, by removing his priveleges. He should not be allowed on the bed, couch, your lap, etc. He is claiming you and your posessions as his own. When the dogs are together in a group make him last. Give the other dogs affection first, treats first, feed them first, and make him wait until last to go in/out of the door. Correct ANY sign of aggression (stiffening/tensing up, showing teeth, hackles up, tail up, ears forward, etc.) at the second it starts, don't wait to make sure. If he does snap at, lung at, or bite another dog; alpha roll him in the presents of the other dog. I had to do this with Jaeger to make sure he understood that the cats are his "alpha" and he is not to attack them.

Also, his hovering and staring when you are eating has to stop. In the wild or in a real pack, he would be considered to be challenging the alpha for food (which he is). This is also why he attacks the other dogs when they encroach. You should be giving him the same treatment he gives them. Learn from watching your dogs. My dogs are allowed to lay right against me when I am eating as long as: they lay facing away, never make eye contact with me, or stare and salavate over my food. If they do, they are challenging my authority and I immediately correct them for it. A quick "bite" to the neck or shoulder and I redirect them to leave the room. I then invite them back in on my terms.

Seperating them is only a last resort. It will definitely make the conflict worse.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would agree with almost everything you suggested accept the alpha role. This is not something I would ever recommend to someone simply because the dog may have the upper hand in this situation if the person is small in stature or in experienced. Only an experienced dog handler should role a dog. I did it with my AB when he was about a year old and the first couple of times it got ugly, now it's not necessary. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I first posted this thread I have been watching him very carefully and I have discovered that he mainly gets his 'nasty head' on just after they have all been given treats. He is always last to receive his, Samson first, then Zook then Obi. Afterwards he justs gets all edgy and I don't know why. They all get an equal amount of treats and all have the same thing. He's never aggressive or nasty over food or after they've all just eaten.

I have managed to keep him away from me when i'm eating, if he walks over when I first sit down he gets told to "go away" he then goes and lies in the corner of the room.

Fortunately I can recognise very early when he is getting a "head on" so I quickly reprimand him, sending him out of the room and leaving him until I am comfortable to bring him back. I am careful not to over fuss any of my dogs as I know that they are very jealous creatures, if one gets a cuddle the other 2 get one aswell..

I think maybe he is at the age where he is going to start pushing his luck and I need to over rule him on all this behaviour. There has never been a fight, which I am glad of. I know if he really went for my lurcher he'd do some serious damage to him.

I'm really not experienced enough with this breed of dog to be attempting alpha rolls, I think verbal commands are going to be the only way for me.

Fee x x

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
question

what is an alpha role?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Re: question

DogSoldier said:
what is an alpha role?
When your dog is acting aggressive you physically force him or her onto their back with a forearm across the neck and hold it until they submit willingly. Not always easily accomplished and can be dangerous. Don't recommend it in most cases.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Staffies Turning

Hi, I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone could help. I've read the posts re: jealousy!!! I have two staffs and usually at night or when the younger one's asleep and the older one approaches she tends to growl....sometimes this is short lived but on the occassion she lunges for the older one and they seem to have a full on fight (including blood)!!!! It takes my other half to jump between to stop them - even then it takes a while for them to calm down!

Usually the younger bitch that starts does also come back to the older one and lick her face (which I read is a sign of submission) - does anyone have any ideas!???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Re: Staffies Turning

ellenbartenvw said:
Hi, I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone could help. I've read the posts re: jealousy!!! I have two staffs and usually at night or when the younger one's asleep and the older one approaches she tends to growl....sometimes this is short lived but on the occassion she lunges for the older one and they seem to have a full on fight (including blood)!!!! It takes my other half to jump between to stop them - even then it takes a while for them to calm down!

Usually the younger b-witch that starts does also come back to the older one and lick her face (which I read is a sign of submission) - does anyone have any ideas!???

Thanks
You'll get much better results if you start your own thread. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
Clara is food possesive. Therefore she is fed in her crate and she takes her
dog treats in her crate as well. She is put into her crate when it is time to feed the other dogs.
As long as she is seperated during food times, she is just fine. You might try this with Obi.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Re: question

Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
DogSoldier said:
what is an alpha role?
It's basically a way to communicate to your dog that you are trying to kill him.

Actually, when you execute an alpha roll properly, the dog should not show any fear. Therefore, they should not be in fear for their life.
All of my dogs are taught to "side" on command. When told "side" they roll on their side or back exposing their stomach. Their body language should be relaxed submissive (ears relaxed back, tail relaxed down not tucked, feet pulled up slightly not ridgedly pulled against body, etc.).
They should not show fearful submissive (ears pinned back, tail tucked under, body ridged, back arched/slightly fetal position, etc.).
You should never try to alpha roll a dog by trying to over power them physically. When you attept this aggressively there is a really good chance the dog going to fight back, and you are going to get hurt. Alpha rolls should only be executed with calm assertive energy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts