Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would definitely take him down a notch, by removing his priveleges. He should not be allowed on the bed, couch, your lap, etc. He is claiming you and your posessions as his own. When the dogs are together in a group make him last. Give the other dogs affection first, treats first, feed them first, and make him wait until last to go in/out of the door. Correct ANY sign of aggression (stiffening/tensing up, showing teeth, hackles up, tail up, ears forward, etc.) at the second it starts, don't wait to make sure. If he does snap at, lung at, or bite another dog; alpha roll him in the presents of the other dog. I had to do this with Jaeger to make sure he understood that the cats are his "alpha" and he is not to attack them.

Also, his hovering and staring when you are eating has to stop. In the wild or in a real pack, he would be considered to be challenging the alpha for food (which he is). This is also why he attacks the other dogs when they encroach. You should be giving him the same treatment he gives them. Learn from watching your dogs. My dogs are allowed to lay right against me when I am eating as long as: they lay facing away, never make eye contact with me, or stare and salavate over my food. If they do, they are challenging my authority and I immediately correct them for it. A quick "bite" to the neck or shoulder and I redirect them to leave the room. I then invite them back in on my terms.

Seperating them is only a last resort. It will definitely make the conflict worse.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Re: question

Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
DogSoldier said:
what is an alpha role?
It's basically a way to communicate to your dog that you are trying to kill him.

Actually, when you execute an alpha roll properly, the dog should not show any fear. Therefore, they should not be in fear for their life.
All of my dogs are taught to "side" on command. When told "side" they roll on their side or back exposing their stomach. Their body language should be relaxed submissive (ears relaxed back, tail relaxed down not tucked, feet pulled up slightly not ridgedly pulled against body, etc.).
They should not show fearful submissive (ears pinned back, tail tucked under, body ridged, back arched/slightly fetal position, etc.).
You should never try to alpha roll a dog by trying to over power them physically. When you attept this aggressively there is a really good chance the dog going to fight back, and you are going to get hurt. Alpha rolls should only be executed with calm assertive energy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts