Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
gazar said:
Clara is food possesive. Therefore she is fed in her crate and she takes her
dog treats in her crate as well. She is put into her crate when it is time to feed the other dogs.
As long as she is seperated during food times, she is just fine. You might try this with Obi.
Obi was fed in his crate from the day we got him but then for some reason, can't remember why, we sarted to feed him in the living room and the other 2 dogs in the kitchen. There was no problems as the other 2 were kept out until he had finished.

I stopped giving the dogs treats about 3 weeks ago as every time they had them 5 minutes later Obi got his nasty head on and started biting Zook.

2 weeks ago his glands scooted on the carpet and he really went for Samson, it was proper aggression but fortunately I managed to seperate them. There was no blood but Obi really was going for it, he was in a proper fighting stance, back legs dug into the floor while he went for it on Samsons shoulder. 2 days later he went for Zook in much the same way except this time he also tried to mount him (typically dominant).

We realised that we had some pretty hard decisions to make with regards to keeping Obi, we can't afford to have an aggressive dog as Neils children come to stay every other weekend and when Obi went for Zook one of the children was stood next to him. It appears he was protecting the child. Zook went to walk past and Obi just flew at him.

I spoke to the breeder and she basically said we need to get more assertive with Obi and stop spoiling him, not that we do really, since first posting here and realising where we were going wrong we stopped spoiling him altogether. She also said he is fighting for spot of top dog with Samson, which we already knew, we just don't know how it's going to end.

We are going on holiday in 2 weeks and Samson goes to stay with Neils mum when we are away so we took him there last weekend, so we can spend some time working with Zook and Obi. It's going ok so far, only 1 fight and that's because we tried to give them treats the other night to see what happened. About 3 minutes after they ate their treats Obi was lying in his crate and Zook walked into the kitchen to get a drink...Obi flew at him and they had a bit of a fight, nothing much as there was no blood or marks on either of them. So we've decided that there can just be no treats in this house for any of them. The only thing we're worried about is, what happens when Samson comes back??

I wouldn't be happy to rehome Obi as he really is a big baby and hates being away from us, I think he'd die of a broken heart if he had to leave us. Obi and Zook get along really well just the 2 of them and i'm starting to believe that the saying "2 dogs are company 3 are a crowd" is true Just don't know what to do.

Any more advice on this would be really appreciated.

Fee x x

·
Super Moderator
16,005 Posts
Feenelly said:
gazar said:
Clara is food possesive. Therefore she is fed in her crate and she takes her
dog treats in her crate as well. She is put into her crate when it is time to feed the other dogs.
As long as she is seperated during food times, she is just fine. You might try this with Obi.
Obi was fed in his crate from the day we got him but then for some reason, can't remember why, we sarted to feed him in the living room and the other 2 dogs in the kitchen. There was no problems as the other 2 were kept out until he had finished.

I stopped giving the dogs treats about 3 weeks ago as every time they had them 5 minutes later Obi got his nasty head on and started biting Zook.

2 weeks ago his glands scooted on the carpet and he really went for Samson, it was proper aggression but fortunately I managed to seperate them. There was no blood but Obi really was going for it, he was in a proper fighting stance, back legs dug into the floor while he went for it on Samsons shoulder. 2 days later he went for Zook in much the same way except this time he also tried to mount him (typically dominant).

We realised that we had some pretty hard decisions to make with regards to keeping Obi, we can't afford to have an aggressive dog as Neils children come to stay every other weekend and when Obi went for Zook one of the children was stood next to him. It appears he was protecting the child. Zook went to walk past and Obi just flew at him.

I spoke to the breeder and she basically said we need to get more assertive with Obi and stop spoiling him, not that we do really, since first posting here and realising where we were going wrong we stopped spoiling him altogether. She also said he is fighting for spot of top dog with Samson, which we already knew, we just don't know how it's going to end.

We are going on holiday in 2 weeks and Samson goes to stay with Neils mum when we are away so we took him there last weekend, so we can spend some time working with Zook and Obi. It's going ok so far, only 1 fight and that's because we tried to give them treats the other night to see what happened. About 3 minutes after they ate their treats Obi was lying in his crate and Zook walked into the kitchen to get a drink...Obi flew at him and they had a bit of a fight, nothing much as there was no blood or marks on either of them. So we've decided that there can just be no treats in this house for any of them. The only thing we're worried about is, what happens when Samson comes back??

I wouldn't be happy to rehome Obi as he really is a big baby and hates being away from us, I think he'd die of a broken heart if he had to leave us. Obi and Zook get along really well just the 2 of them and i'm starting to believe that the saying "2 dogs are company 3 are a crowd" is true Just don't know what to do.

Any more advice on this would be really appreciated.

Fee x x

You are right, you do have some hard decisions to make. First as the others said, some really strong training right now is needed to help remind him who you are and where he is. Next, you really need to study this situation with not only your heart but with your head too. My concern would be the same as yours - the children. Obi may have a too dominate personality for your household, and as much as you would hate to give him up, your only other choice would be to keep him crated AT ALL TIMES when the kids are there. Maybe while you are refreshing his training you could keep your eye out for a home that is dogless and has good people. Not saying this is what has to be your first focus, just saying it is good to have an option if needed. This age is the most difficult age, it seems, for dogs. They are like the lion or the bear - making and setting their mark and standing up to whoever is going to challange them. If they have a super strong personality and in this case a super strong male alpha personality - you may not be able to break it from him. Talk this over with your husband and set down some plans; plans for training and plans if the training does not work. Prepare yourselves now so that if you do have to rehome him you both will be mentally prepared for it. I am sure he is a good dog, he just may need a home where he is the only dog. And if you are moving where they will all be in the same room, rehoming may really be needed. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for that :) I understand totally where u are coming from about the rehoming thing. The breeder has said she will keep an eye out for a suitable home for him just incase we do need one.

He has never been aggressive towards the children, he's barked at them occasionally if they scare him but about a month ago one of them kicked him really hard :shock: he didn't think I was in the room. Obi didn't bat an eye, he just walked away as if nothing had happened, so there's definitely no aggression towards the children.

We are hoping to move house soon, infact move to a different country, so we'll very rarely see the children so that won't be an issue. If we get the house we are hoping to get we'll have alot of land with it so alot more space for the dogs to run around and wear themselves out.

We'll just have to see what happens. I'm going to take him to the vet and get hm checked over, his glands are scooting almost constantly and he keeps biting at the base of his tail and doing some really weird looking poohs. If he is feeling a bit grotty this would obviously make him grumpy.

I'll definitely let you know how we're going along. Might have to go back to training classes with him.

Fee x x

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.