Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We and our friends have AB's that are siblings. The male pup, Addicus, makes an odd clicking sound when breathing heavily as though he has phlem in his throat. Our female, Sayde Mae, does not have the same problem.

Anyone know what this could be and if it is a problem or not?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks Andy

Like Andy said, Atticus, a male AB, has developed a strange clicking/poping sound when he breaths heavy from exercise. If anyone has any suggestions I would really apreciate the help.

I would also like to thank Andy for telling Adrienne and I about this website.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
do they ever sound like they are short of breath or coughing ever?

Might want to get a heartworm test done. that's all I can think of off the top of my head, although the clicking doesn't sound like heartworm though

·
Super Moderator
15,981 Posts
It seems that another member had a simialr problem a while ago with her dog.
I do believe that they had to take the dog to the vet top get it corrected.
I do not remember what the dog had but seem to remember he had to take medicine
for it. Probably that is what you need to do for your dog. Good luck.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks,

Atticus love's Dr. Golden (vet) :( . Sadie (Atticus's sister) does not have this problem, she is the white and fawn female in the picture Andy posted, Atticus is the brindal male. I took him on a 3 mile hike, round trip, up a mountain in San Diego and it seem to get worse on the way up, but with less strain on the way down its was not as bad. He does cough everynow and then, and phlem lands on the carpet. It white and foamy, like snot. I don't think it's heartworm but I will have a test done to confirm.

Thanks again

·
Registered
14,576 Posts
I'm the "mother" of said clicking beast. It's really an odd sound, but has been nothing of concern (or so I thought). He's had all of his shots, has all the required meds he's suppoosed to take (heartworm). It really does tend to be more prevalent when he's REALLY tired.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It sounds like your dogs may be simply flapping there tongues toward the back of their throats (on the roof of their mouths). My pom does the same noise and so my vet ran her round the building and watched her mouth as she panted and low and behold that's where the noise was coming from.

Pretend to pant while flapping your tongue on the roof of your mouth (curled up instead of hanging out).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Welcome to the fun Adrian, Toby, and Addicus. Hopefully we will get a few more opinions on our boy's clicky breathing. The tounge on the roof of the mouth was a good one. Never heard of that before. Thanks for all the input everyone. It's hard enough getting together with these guys for play dates as it is without some funky breathing mucking up the works.

Let us know about dog beach this weekend.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Welcome to all of you! Beautiful dogs! :)

I'd definitely have a vet look into it, sounds like he may be having Palate problems. It would be best to rule that out first, IMO.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks that sound like that could be what is going on. I guess I miss understood the other post, I thouht she said the tounge was getting in the way. Thanks for the link, but I hope he does not have to have go under the knife.

·
Registered
14,576 Posts
I don't know, he may be doing the clicking when his tongue isn't hanging out. We'll have to monitor it much closer.

Andy/Toby...I'm thinking dog beach in OB after my game on Sunday. Game time is 11:30.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, :oops: I was headed to bed, and definitely thought it needed to be mentioned, and not passed off as something else. It sounds like it could be his problem, and I'd definitely get him in, and have it at least checked out. Good luck, hope he's ok!

·
Registered
449 Posts
The Chargers have a bye, but I'm not real found of OB. I wouldn't mind making the jaunt to Coranado. If not then we will go up the mouth of the SD river a bit.

What do think Andy?

Anyone else in the SD area is welcome to come and have a big bully play date.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure, as I've never had a dog that needed it. I know different vets in different regions will have varying rates..ChicoHeidi who posts here had the procedure done..she would be a good one to ask. But, I would contact Butchko and ask them..they specialize in bulldogs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Carrie, I am glad you chimed in on this post. I have been telling our friends about the fact that you had met the sire of our pups in person. Their pop was Bybee's Jack Tatum and these two just keep on getting bigger. Sayde hasn't been weighed for a couple of months but Atticus is 105lb. at nine months. As a reputable breeder could you hazard a guess to their possible full grown size? Just curious.

Adrianne... We kind of like Coronado better ourselves. Makes us feel high class. We also like the AM before it gets to hot for the pups. Let us know.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.