Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!

We have a 10 week old OEB. He is our first, I was just wondering if it is safe to use the Gentle Leaders/Halti on this breed?
We have 2 Aussies and use them on both dogs with great results, but with the different facial structure and short nose, I just wonder if we should be looking at other options for him? Of course, he isn't pulling now, but I don't doubt he will especially learning from his high strung Aussie sister. I have tried a no-pull harness on our male Aussie, but I believe it hurt him, because he wouldn't stop pulling, but he'd keep the tension on the harness the whole time and he became afraid of even the sight of it. Any suggestions would help, Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

Deuce is so adorable! I'm getting a digital camera this weekend, so i'll post some pics of Muggs. (I lost my last one - oops!) Are you doing obedience with Deuce? How's that going?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
We are doing basic stuff with him right now. Sit, down, stay, take it, leave it, etc. He is so smart. Although he can be stubborn at times. He picks it up very fast. It is going really well so far. He would be more consistent, but I haven't been practicing with him as much as I should. But now that I am done with school for a while, he will be getting a lot more practice.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I've been told that the halti is not a good idea on dogs with short noses. My brother used to use one on his boxer and it rubbed all the fur off by his eyes. Also it can cause spinal injuries from the pulling on the head. If you do a search on here, there was an article posted a while back.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
I've been told that the halti is not a good idea on dogs with short noses. My brother used to use one on his boxer and it rubbed all the fur off by his eyes. Also it can cause spinal injuries from the pulling on the head. If you do a search on here, there was an article posted a while back.
thats what I've heard too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use one on my female and so far it's worked wonders and she shows no signs of spinal problems right now. It's not meant for you to do quick tug, pull, or jerking commands. Most of them come with a DVD to show you how to properly use it. My female had a problem with pulling really hard, but we used that for a long time and our walks because more productive. We were able to walk longer and smoother, thus she was able to release a lot of energy and she became more mellow. I don't have to use it now, but if I'm going to my husbands softball games, I will leave it on her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts