Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you keep a dog off of the couch or chair. I am getting new furniture and Moose loves to look outsode the window. I am afraid that his nails will puncture the furniture. Sometimes he even sits on the chair and looks out the window. Is there something I can put on it like cans or what. I hope someone can help me.
I can't leave him outside when I'm not home because he started to jump the fence if there is something interesting on the other side and I don't want him to get hurt or hurt anyone.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
we have never allowed Bub on any furniture including beds. I know that sounds mean but it's a choice we made. He doesn't seem to mind and we don't have dog hair on the furniture :D

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Crate...Cuz he is already allowed and he doesnt know the difference between new and old..its all furniture and comfortable to him...or you can try covering your new stuff with a thick blanket while you are gone..

e

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well as for him being allowed I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. He is NOT allowed on the furniture or beds. He has just started this a few months ago. It didn't bother me so much but now that we are getting new I don't want rips. As for crating him well he hasn't been crated since 4 months of age. He is a GREAT boy in the house. Thank you anyways. If some idea comes up in your minds let me know.
debs

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
debs said:
Well as for him being allowed I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. He is NOT allowed on the furniture or beds. He has just started this a few months ago. It didn't bother me so much but now that we are getting new I don't want rips. As for crating him well he hasn't been crated since 4 months of age. He is a GREAT boy in the house. Thank you anyways. If some idea comes up in your minds let me know.
debs
If the chair has a cushion that's not attached, just put the cushion up so he can't get on it, so it's sitting up against the back of the chair...or remove it completely if you think he'll pull it down. If not that, put some newspapers on it. My dogs don't like laying on newspaper.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Austin said:
We dont like to crate our staffie and we were in the same positions as you. Austin chewed our old sofa to bits and so we didnt want him near it whilst we are out. So we bought these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...pment>C$cip=36468.Safety+gates+and+guards.htm

and we put them around the sofa whilst we are out and it works a treat and he stays away from the sofa.

Sorry about the long link!
That's a pretty good idea for chewers. But, for just jumping on a chair, I'd just put the cushion up, or put something on it to prevent the dog from jumping on it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You could get couch and chair covers. That's what I did, well I only got one for the couch cause they're like $100, but it's great. It's machine washable and as long as you get the right size, it looks nice, too.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
We flip the cushions up on the sofa to keep Molly off of them when we go out and Buster is crated.It does get to be pain having to put them up but if it keeps her off it's worth it.Hubby doesnt wont allow either dog on the sofas or bed :(

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Someone told me once to put a blanket on the chair, then when he lays onit, whipped it out from under him.....might shock him enough not to want to get back on. Or get a can with coins in, when he goes to jump on it shake them hard , don't let him see it was you, this shoud be enuff to spook him not to want to go on the chair again.

·
Registered
426 Posts
How about putting a baby safety gate on the door of the room your new furniture will be in? We don't crate Tia but we do keep her in the kitchen using a safety gate while we are out. It works for us!

·
Registered
125 Posts
We don't allow Philo on the furniture or our bed, but when we got new leather furniture she thought
she was entitled to get on it. We just left her leash and pinch collar on at all times in the house. Anytime
she tried to jump up or put a paw on the furniture, she got an "off" correction. It took a few weeks, but now
she doesn't even try it.

We do crate her when we are not home, so no telling what she would do if given the opportunity.
Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts