Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So I gave rex his food just now, I didnt have the bowl against the wall and I started to fix it and he GROWLED at me and barked . He could of bit me if he wanted and I doubt he would . I took it away and put him in his crate! I will not have him put down so please dont suggest that, I wanted to know what are some things I can do that will stop this. In the whole 5 months I had him HE HAS NEVER growled at me or barked at me when I took something from hm ! I can normally take food away from him at anytime even from his mouth . I think he is really hungry cause before i left for work I put him in the yard and he knocked his food over and he didnt eat it. Please help !

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Food aggression, wheeeeeee! ;)

I don't know how to help you, I'll wait for the "pros" to come in. But I'm sure you'll get advice that will help (maybe).

·
Registered
703 Posts
I feel you did the right thing by taking the dish (Whatever it was that caused him to growl/bark/bare teeth) away and crating him right away! You have got to show who is the Alpha dog! I do not suggest by any means using pain to correct them. JMO! I do suggest contacting a trainer A.S.A.P.! if you haven't already. Get professional advise, although there is alot of good advise here, a professional is better.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
He's still a baby so there are alot of new things that could potentially pop up. Bullies don't mature until 2-3 yrs old! If I were you, I'd take him back to basics. Check out the NILF sticky. Good luck.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I just went and looked at him and he is standing in his crate with his head low peeking at me. He is very sorry I can tell. I gave him his food back and even tried to take it again and he is not even looking at the food. I am still looking for a good trainer and not getting any luck. All I keep finding is PetSmart

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Shay78 said:
Thank you! I just went and looked at him and he is standing in his crate with his head low peeking at me. He is very sorry I can tell. I gave him his food back and even tried to take it again and he is not even looking at the food. I am still looking for a good trainer and not getting any luck. All I keep finding is PetSmart

Don't discount PetSmart, they are very good (well, ours was, don't know about yours). :)

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Shay, where are you located?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I agree with all of the above! Make sure he knows without a doubt you, your husband and kids are looked at as alpha. If you don't already make him work for his food, treats, privileages to go outside, put a leash on etc. Make him sit before he gets his food and wait until you say its okay for him to eat. Make him sit before he's allowed to go out etc. And when you get him enrolled into OB class run it by your trainer too. :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
Shay78 said:
I really wanted to do PetSmart but when I first joined i was told they are bad. I think I will take him there! Im In New Jersey close to Atlantic City like 10 minutes away
Wow! Were not to far from each other, I'm near the Delaware Bridge! If I can find any trainers in your area I'll pass them onto you.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
stop feeding him in a bowl, hand feed him his kibble. I know it sound like a lot of work but it teaches two thing, one all food comes from you and two it is a good thing when you are by his food. after about a week of this start givinghalf his food in the bowl and reach down and take the bowl and start to hand feed him some and put it down, If he barks raises his hackels or barks start hand feeding agian. It should stop this behavior. plus it will put you more in the alfa role, YOU MUST CONTROL THE FOOD!

Hopes this helps

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks I will try that! However he will only get fed once a day, I work in the mornings. I get up around 6am -7am and get the kids ready for school and drop them off and then I go straight to work. I normally feed him as soon as I get up and walk him before i leave and then I feed him in the evenings. If I feed him when I get home around 3:30pm thats kinda late kwim?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i myself have had pitbulls for the last ten years of my life (and many as of now)
we have 6
i have learned to socialize them very young and continue it.....other dogs as well as humans.....
and the food issue.......
everytime i feed them i put my hands all in their food and around the bowl......while they eat.....i do it to the pups as well as the adults.....
and you did right to take it away......and crate him
that is exactly what i do.....
just keep doing that and when you feed.......stay by the bowl and try what i do....
putting your hands everywhere......i also pet them as they eat.......
to show them its okay......
good luck
if you dont treat the issue now.......
it will be a big problem.....
i have had to learn the hard way with mine
we pretty much have it down now......lol

1 - 20 of 49 Posts