Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Missing Link supplement contains omega-3 fatty acids. I think I've heard that salmon oil is great for skin and coat as well. If she doesn't respond on this thread, PM mom to many. Her pup Cinder (from my litter) has atopic dermatitis, and she has done a good job of getting it under control.

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
You can add Missing Link to their food, which like augrad mentioned, contains Omega 3 & 6...those are what REALLY help the skin. You can also add fish oil capsules (I just put the whole capsule in with their food)..those help as well, and are pretty inexpensive. It does take a few weeks to notice a difference, but BOY...what a change!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Some dogs are sensitive to flaxseed. That is what is used in Missing Link. It will make them itchier. One of my dogs are fine with it but the other doesn't do well with flax. Dogs tend to utilize fats derived from animals better so fish oil is tolerated by most dogs. It's really hard to overdo. YOu can give up to 1000 mgs. per 10 lbs. of body weight. Costco sells huge bottles for about $10.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
It's really hard to overdo. YOu can give up to 1000 mgs. per 10 lbs. of body weight. Costco sells huge bottles for about $10.
Get out of here! I've been giving Bella and Remy two 1,200 pills a day. I guess I can up that to 4 or 5 pills a day! I just bought 260 pills for $7. Can't go wrong with that!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Chico.Heidi said:
It's really hard to overdo. YOu can give up to 1000 mgs. per 10 lbs. of body weight. Costco sells huge bottles for about $10.
Get out of here! I've been giving Bella and Remy two 1,200 pills a day. I guess I can up that to 4 or 5 pills a day! I just bought 260 pills for $7. Can't go wrong with that!
My grocery store (Kroger) often has all sizes of bottles buy one, get one free...so I buy the biggest for $10 and end up with one free...woohoo! I love a bargain!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Chico.Heidi said:
Well, if Bella and Remy don't have any problems with arthritis, then they only need about 1000mgs. per 20lbs. of body weight. If your dog has inflamation, you can double that. I just meant that you don't need to worry about giving too much. It would be extremely hard to overdose on fish oil. On another board, someone's beagle ate a whole Costco bottle of fish oil. So that issue came up. All that happened was he got a little dire rear!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
mom to many said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Chico.Heidi said:
My grocery store (Kroger) often has all sizes of bottles buy one, get one free...so I buy the biggest for $10 and end up with one free...woohoo! I love a bargain!
That's how I got mine (buy one get one free at Kroger). I didn't even notice if there was a bigger bottle. I just grabbed the first two bottles I saw and did a little "WOOHOO!" :)

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Chico.Heidi said:
Well, if Bella and Remy don't have any problems with arthritis, then they only need about 1000mgs. per 20lbs. of body weight. If your dog has inflamation, you can double that. I just meant that you don't need to worry about giving too much. It would be extremely hard to overdose on fish oil. On another board, someone's beagle ate a whole Costco bottle of fish oil. So that issue came up. All that happened was he got a little dire rear!
Good to know! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Make sure that there is vitamin E added to your pills. If not, you need to add some. Dogs need vitamin E to properly utilize omega 3's. I forgot to mention that! Just when you think you've got it, something else gets thrown in. YOu should see my cupboard, I look like a street pharamacist with all these supplements! lol 400ui is a good amount for Bella and Remy's size and I usually just throw that in the mix every other day or so. Vitamin E can be overdone.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
The pills I give them have an online description of: "These softgels provide 1200 mg of fish oil and includes Vitamin E to preserve freshness." I'll have to check the amount of Vitamin E when I get home, but thanks for mentioning that!
No problem!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.