Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dozer has been a very difficult dog in terms of crate training. He has simply refused to stop peeing in his crate. 30 minutes, 2 hours, 8 hours, it doesn't matter. We have tried working his time in crate up without him peeing. We thought we had it all fixed. One day we were out of towels for his crate so he just had to deal with no towel for a day. We come back and see that the crate was dry. We thought that was great. We decided to test that out for a couple days.

It appeared that he never pee'ed in the crate if there wasn't anything on the bottom. Well, we were wrong. Last night my wife wakes up to him whining(1.5 hours after we went to sleep). My wife figured he was just being noisy. Well she hears the sound of peeing in the crate. At 1am it is hard to get motivated. So she layed there for about 2 minutes before getting up. All the sudden she heard Dozer licking.

Dozer was licking up his urine. That is why it always looked like he had not pee'ed. I just can't get over the fact that he would lick up all the urine.

Anyone ever had a dog lick up urine?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Boys are so disgusting. :roll:

Sorry I don't have any advice for you. Maybe check for an infection.

Mary

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am definately going to mention it to the vet on his checkup next week. From everything I have read, just the urine drinking won't hurt him but we are going back to towels so prevent it.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
What did you do when Dozer peed on a blanket? How did you discipline? He could possibly be thinking, "I don't want to get my master upset, i'll get rid of the evidence" and this isn't uncommon. I would definetly mention it to the vet. How old is your Dozer again? He may only be able to hold himself for half an hour or maybe only hour and so, I know you said this doesn't work, but I would start from the beginning again and possible get a smaller crate if the one you have now is too big. First do ever half hour, and take him outside on the leash to pee, when he does, praise and make a big deal out of it. Then an hour and keep doing that. This is not something he will just grow out of, so it's important you train him as early as possible that this is not an exceptable behavior.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Im still working with mason on this... he's getting better... although lately I either havent been hearing him or he just doesnt tell me cause he'll have an accident in the middle of the night... Im very good about geting up with him... he has his days though.. you know when he lets you know right away and does really good about holding it then the next day your feeling all proud and "Wow maybe he's almost done with having accidents" then he pulls the 'ol look at you and squat..lol

Anyhow he has his days but he is getting better... he's able to hold it sometimes for the whole night..but it's atill gonna take some work.. dont give up on your pup! He'll learn

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have seen a dog pee and lick it up as it is coming out..Oh it is gross, but this dog had been abused ...I knwo you don't abuse your dog but if you are doing heavy punishment I would kick it down a notch..he maybe sensitive

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I know this dog that was rescued she had a wonderful loving owner but she died suddenly in the night and noone found the dog crate until a month later she had been living on her own urine and poop. Anyway most dogs dont like to go where they sleep so he might have just had to go but didnt want to sleep in it and he drank it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have seen......

I have seen this before. Similar I guess.

My buddy's shepard use to be ok 5 weeks to 16 weeks. Then all of a sudden, he pees in his crate. Very irregular. It drove him nuts.

No use keeping a dog stupid enough to pee in his crate!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what it was? Urinary infection! Many times, it is not the pup's fault. I would definitely check it out with your vet.

If it simply likes to likes to lick up its pee.............that is up to you what to do.

Sounds like a urinary or bladder infection, to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts