oh dear....

i think i may have had to many beer....

still scrollin????

lmao....

your still here aren't ya????

· Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
ok i was gunna make you wait till tomorrow but i won't.

the only really un-natural thing we ask dogs to do is personal protection work .
not sport work cause that is all just a game to them.
think about it.
any animal out there abides by the fight or flight rule. even during mating, lotta bluffing but no real fighting usually. an animal cornered WILL fight for it's life, but only because it has to, they would prefer to run.
what we ask is that a dog not only fight but fight for another species.
the closest you get in nature is a mother protecting her young. but they are her young AND the same species
when have you ever heard of , hmm, say a lion protect a water buffalo against a hyena? or a wolf protect a elk against a cougar? it is not natural and yet we ask dogs to do it all the time. we actually train them against nature, against survival. very un-natural

:lol:

· Registered
1,645 Posts
attitude said:
ok i was gunna make you wait till tomorrow but i won't.

the only really un-natural thing we ask dogs to do is personal protection work .
not sport work cause that is all just a game to them.
think about it.
any animal out there abides by the fight or flight rule. even during mating, lotta bluffing but no real fighting usually. an animal cornered WILL fight for it's life, but only because it has to, they would prefer to run.
what we ask is that a dog not only fight but fight for another species.
the closest you get in nature is a mother protecting her young. but they are her young AND the same species
when have you ever heard of , hmm, say a lion protect a water buffalo against a hyena? or a wolf protect a elk against a cougar? it is not natural and yet we ask dogs to do it all the time. we actually train them against nature, against survival. very un-natural

:lol:

Very interesting, so true.

· Registered
226 Posts
wow that is interesting so true.

and heres another question, are dogs the only animals taht are trained this way against nature?? hmm i'm thinking and can't think of another animal that could be trained to protect another species. urrrm.. but then again it is early saturday morning and i'm at work and i'm not clinically awake until after 12pm. lil help?

· Registered
8 Posts
I’m not sure if I agree with your theory Attitude; the dog is a domesticated animal by the hands of humans for I don’t know how many years (any one know) so not a wild animal. Therefore by being domesticated by us we are in their minds members of their family so that makes them naturally protective over us.
Cheers

· Registered
329 Posts
Razors Edge said:
I’m not sure if I agree with your theory Attitude; the dog is a domesticated animal by the hands of humans for I don’t know how many years (any one know) so not a wild animal. Therefore by being domesticated by us we are in their minds members of their family so that makes them naturally protective over us.
Cheers
Yes, but that doesn't make it natural. Before they were domesticated by us, that is what you have to look at, I think.

· Registered
8,143 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
Razors Edge said:
Cheers
Yes, but that doesn't make it natural. Before they were domesticated by us, that is what you have to look at, I think.
If that's the case, then pretty much anything we ask them to do is unnatural. It was an interesting topic, but a bit narrow IMO. Dogs don't naturally walk on a leash or shake paws or wear sweaters or eat out of a bowl....the list goes on and on. Anyway, I see the point.

· Registered
8 Posts
After posting I happen to pick up an Issue of Dogs in Canada April/06 and it had an article on the origin of dogs. :oops: The earliest archaeological find believed to be a dog from 14 000 years ago found in Germany, 12 000years in the middle East and 10 000 in Utah. I would guess that in 14 000 years of being domesticated that the dog is not a wild animal and would be naturally protective over humans? Before the dog was a dog it was a wolf, a wild animal; a dog never was a wild animal. I think (just thinking) that is why humans domesticated dogs in the first place because the dog was naturally protective over us and our property?
Some interesting info. from the article-------All dogs descend from the Old World grey wolves and split off from them about 15 000 years ago. Nuclear DNA evidence was used by researchers who in 2004 published findings that compare the genetics of 85 breeds of dog as well as the order of their splitting off from wolves. In the vast majority of cases, it was possible to correctly identify what breed an individual DNA sample was from. The earliest split-off from wolves was a branch consisting of Shar-Pei, Shibas Inu, Chows and Akitas. Next came Basenjis. The third branch was made up of Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies (which, incidentally, were difficult to distinguish genetically). The fourth group to split off were Afghans and Salukis. Then came a giant group with the most modern origins, consisting of all the other breeds. Interestingly, Pharaoh and Ibizan Hounds, considered extremely old breeds, were in the modern-origins group genetically. What this means is that the modern Pharaoh and Ibizan Hounds are a re-creations of the dogs drawn on interior walls in ancient Egypt.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Re: hmmmmmmmmmmm

halo said:
I saw a loin protect a deer as her own on animal planet now that is against nature. But it happen
Interesting. Could you elaborate please? Who was the lion protecting the deer from? Was the deer being attacked?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.