Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Agent Squint
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today being our first lesson.

As I walked threw the trees to enter the class, Daisy decided to take my feet away from me and I swiftly fell to my knees in a thud! I could hear Emma laughing behind me, trying to ask if I was ok. Yes I was ok, nice bruise on my knee, but nowt broke.

Dusted myself down to see the trainer chuckiling 'what you doing on the floor then?' hah bloody ha!

So we start training... the dog next to me has completely lost it and has got eyes for the bwitch the other end of the class, you just know given any oppurtunity he is off to play with the her.

So we put the dogs in a sit, stay, we walk on 12 paces, turn and face the dog.
Roxy is focused :) then dog next to me is off to see the bwitch, daisy goes to, then Roxy.. all 3 of them running around. We giggle and retreive our dogs. Trainer shouts " enforce the stay"

So we try again, this time Daisy breaks her stay, then Roxy and the dog next to me decide he's off too.

There was alot of retreiving dogs going on, the trainer did not look happy :evil: and to make things worse a wedding was being set up in the gardens next to ours and the only way to it was threw us.....

So after a bit of close, recall work we went back to Waits :oops:

I could see Roxy was going to break her stay so I recalled her as her bum left contact with the ground "cheat" bellowed from the distance... darn the trainer saw me :(

Got her back in the wait again and a guy walked threw the bushes, I could see Roxy was going to break her wait, so I recalled her and put her in a sit.....she obeyed all was good.......well thats what I thought.

The trainer was not happy that I had put her in a sit and wait, walked back a few steps, then recalled her, he said I can't put her in a stay and then recall her like that.....I explained she was going to go and say hi to that guy and I felt safer to recall her to me, but he still said I was wrong to recall when I had just put her in a stay. But I know Roxy's body language she may have benn holding her stay, but her butt was wriggling, her ears where back, she wanted to lick someone and I know most of you have seen that move :lol:

So I couldn't figure out why he was so mad, and I still don't know what he wanted me to do in that . So I walked out and sat in my car and cried over a cigarette. I have worked so hard with this stupid dog and still I don't know how to get her to hold a wait.

He says she can do it and he would never ask us to do something with our dogs they aren't capible off, I gave him Roxy's lead and said pove it which he did and she did not move no matter how hard he try to pull her off the spot he made her wait :shock:

So I guess this week I'm working on waits, Emma got some tips of him before she left, so later more training.

For tonights task, we need a rugby post, training leash and confidence, the dogs can do this we just need to learn.

By putting the training leash around the back of the rugby post the dogs cannot break the stay.

Thanks for reading, I'll edit it later, my knee hurts!

·
Registered
979 Posts
You're not stupid, the dog is not stupid.

1. The dog is over faced if he's breaking sit/stay when you walk away. Go back to toes to toes, then to the end of the leash.

2. If when you see your dog about the break you do some other trick then you're agravating the problem. Go back to toes to toes.

I'm surprised the trainer won't just explain that to you. And if you're stressed you'll stress your dog - who just wants to please you - and the session becomes a tearful waste of time.

Paula

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
I think what your trainer would have wanted you to do would be to make her sit there like she was told. You were probably correct that she wanted to bolt, but why throw away the opportunity to correct her by recalling her? Your trainer probably would have rather saw her break and then have you go retrieve her and correct her back to position. With a proper handler a dog will learn from their mistakes. You lost a very good opportunity to teach her a lesson. Sit means sit. If she was to break then she would have learned because you would have been forced to correct her for it. I am constantly putting my dogs into situations where I know they will break. That is how a dog learns! Of course I wouldn't set up a young puppy to fail but an older dog with some training experience needs to be proofed. Thats how you do that by SETTING THEM UP!

I think that maybe you and Roxy need to go backwards for a while in your training. By this I mean you should have the dog on lead during the exercises so she cant take off and you are able to correct her instantly. Get yourself a set of leashes of various lengths. I assume you have the standard 6 footer already so go and get a 15 foot and a 30 foot or there abouts. Doesn't sound like she is ready to be off lead or so far away you cant hold the leash.

As far as separating her from Daisy by going to another class...why would you want to avoid this problem by taking the easy way out? If she is distraced by Daisy then you need to work with her on that. I would be CONSTANTLY having her work around Daisy and force her to ignore her. Take turns with Daisy's owner..first you can do ob with Daisy in a down stay and then vice versa. You can do this on your own outside of the class. The only way to train a dog properly is by tackling a problem head on, not by avoiding it. Avoiding training issues will get you know where. If your dog has an issue with something then deal with it. Don't avoid it.

JMO.

·
Agent Squint
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Lisa, This must be the hardest part of training for me so far. It's the correcting I'm doing wrong and the trainer doesn't help as he won't tell me how to correct.

So if I'm right, when/if she breaks her stay, I put her back in a stay and stand by her? do a walk around her...I know I'm sounding dumb, but I just can't seem to get the penny to drop :(

I know this saturday he's gonna make me walk away 12 paces...but I know I should only be doing toe to toe at least. So this week I got to get ready for those 12 paces.

On another note her close work is nearly brilliant, she walks to my side like we are in a show ring :) her recalls into close are brilliant...if I could just get her to stay with distractions....

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Hmm, your trainer won't tell you how to correct your dog? That is strange. Any reason why? Are you able to watch how he corrects his dog?

I am not sure if you are using a choke chain or a prong (I am assuming you are using one or the other) but either way you do it the same. Its kind of hard to describe on the internet but what you need to do is first go back to being close to her with lead in hand (maybe work on this at home before your next class). Make sure there is some slack in the line but not too much or else the correction will be ineffective. The moment she goes to break you want to make a quick pop on the line and release. Not a pull but a pop. A very quick action. Timing is important as is the amount of slack in the leash. It must be a deterrant to the dog or else you be there forever trying to get her to quit breaking. The same action would be used for a dog that is lagging in the heel, doesn't sit up from a down, etc etc. When a dog goes to break a down you would give the same type of correction but you would be popping the dog back down rather than in an upward fashion.

Have you or anyone else in the class ever asked your trainer to demonstrate how to properly give a correction? This is such an important aspect of training I can't understand why he isn't being more helpful with this. :-k

·
Agent Squint
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lisa said:
Hmm, your trainer won't tell you how to correct your dog? That is strange. Any reason why? Are you able to watch how he corrects his dog?

I am not sure if you are using a choke chain or a prong (I am assuming you are using one or the other) but either way you do it the same. Its kind of hard to describe on the internet but what you need to do is first go back to being close to her with lead in hand (maybe work on this at home before your next class). Make sure there is some slack in the line but not too much or else the correction will be ineffective. The moment she goes to break you want to make a quick pop on the line and release. Not a pull but a pop. A very quick action. Timing is important as is the amount of slack in the leash. It must be a deterrant to the dog or else you be there forever trying to get her to quit breaking. The same action would be used for a dog that is lagging in the heel, doesn't sit up from a down, etc etc. When a dog goes to break a down you would give the same type of correction but you would be popping the dog back down rather than in an upward fashion.

Have you or anyone else in the class ever asked your trainer to demonstrate how to properly give a correction? This is such an important aspect of training I can't understand why he isn't being more helpful with this. :-k
I gave him Roxy's leash last week, but she wouldn't break her stay with him, no matter how hard he tugged on her leash or tried to make her break. She is the perfect dog for him, so he knows she can do it.

But I know the popping on the collar you mean. Thanks again :)

·
Agent Squint
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today lessons went well, with all your help we did well :D

We walked forward with a lovely close, then he ask me to make her sit, then leave her to stay, I walked forward, then I had to turn right, I turned and looked at Roxy enforced the stay then walked on, then I had to turn again I looked over my shoulder with fear she would move, with this the trainer said" confidence... keep moving" then I had to turn and face Roxy, he asked me to pick her up...this new to me , heck I aint gonna walk over there and pick her up! (gotta love the recall, she never lets me down on that!) so I recalled her...yes I can see all you trainers cringing....as he did. 'Pick up' I now knows mean walk over to your dog and into a close...

But it went well, he praised me :D then said "oh it's you, didn't recognise you with your hair down, I replied " That was the plan, didn't want you picking on me again" :p

Oh, I also used Stay as oppose to Wait, as it seem to work for him last week with Roxy.
:love5:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.